The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2021, 01:57 PM

Here is my experience with the ES2. I am intrigued, probably more than most, when a new system gets released. I went out and tried a bunch of the new ES2 equipped guitars I could. At one point in my guitar playing journey, this is what I called fun. I noticed that some of the guitars had a horrible screechy, ice pick sound and accentuated the squeak of the strings. Others did not have that quality. The ones that didn't have that characteristic sounded quite good. Eventually Taylor changed their saddle material. Of the few I played since, I have not heard that that same problem. One of the guitar players at church has one of the original ES2 guitars, an 814. His guitar has that problem. I have to listen to it every time he plays. I wish their was a fix for that.

Otherwise, you have to appreciate what Taylor brings to the table in terms of plug and play systems. I am trading in my GS Mini for a new GT. It doesn't have the ES2. I am going with my Dazzo and Sunnaudio combo as usual.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Here is my experience with the ES2. I am intrigued, probably more than most, when a new system gets released. I went out and tried a bunch of the new ES2 equipped guitars I could. At one point in my guitar playing journey, this is what I called fun. I noticed that some of the guitars had a horrible screechy, ice pick sound and accentuated the squeak of the strings. Others did not have that quality. The ones that didn't have that characteristic sounded quite good. Eventually Taylor changed their saddle material. Of the few I played since, I have not heard that that same problem. One of the guitar players at church has one of the original ES2 guitars, an 814. His guitar has that problem. I have to listen to it every time he plays. I wish their was a fix for that.

Otherwise, you have to appreciate what Taylor brings to the table in terms of plug and play systems. I am trading in my GS Mini for a new GT. It doesn't have the ES2. I am going with my Dazzo and Sunnaudio combo as usual.

I experimented with a bone saddle on my grand pacific with ES2 and found that it really sounded pleasing to my ear. I feel like the string noise decreased substantially. I had no string balance issues either using bone.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 02-03-2021, 03:56 PM

I've replaced all three of my Micarta saddles with bone saddles from MacNichol (ordered through Amazon, with wave compensation). Just required a tiny amount of sanding to fit the same. I may have been lucky, but all three MacNichol saddles installed almost plug-and-play in terms of ES2 response. Bone can vary greatly in density, which is why I think Taylor went with Micarta, which is much more consistent (and presumably cheaper).

If one ever does have string balance issues, it's pretty easy to adjust the individual pickups with a .050" hex wrench. The instructions to do so are included with your Taylor guitar, and also on their website.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/...Sheet-2014.pdf
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 02-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
I've replaced all three of my Micarta saddles with bone saddles from MacNichol (ordered through Amazon, with wave compensation). Just required a tiny amount of sanding to fit the same. I may have been lucky, but all three MacNichol saddles installed almost plug-and-play in terms of ES2 response. Bone can vary greatly in density, which is why I think Taylor went with Micarta, which is much more consistent (and presumably cheaper).

If one ever does have string balance issues, it's pretty easy to adjust the individual pickups with a .050" hex wrench. The instructions to do so are included with your Taylor guitar, and also on their website.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/...Sheet-2014.pdf

I use macNichol as well. Great quality bone saddles. I do find that bone saddles do not make a noticeable difference in my 314 and actually make the string balance off. But it may be that particular piece of bone. So I stuck with the micarta in the 314 and it works great. Bone in the 317 does make a huge difference acoustically and plugged in.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 02-10-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquivel View Post
I use macNichol as well. Great quality bone saddles.
Just a side note... The MacNichol folks are awesome. I ordered a wave compensated bone saddle through Amazon for one of my acoustics and found it was too loose. It was my first time replacing a saddle and I wasn't sure of what I was doing. I contacted MacNichol and they immediately sent me a replacement plus one more (just to make sure I got a fit). Great customer service.

Dan
Old 02-14-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'm not a big fan of the ES2 and don't disagree with much of what you've written. But the above statement is an absurdity. Taylor ships hundreds of thousands of guitars and you claim most of them are played at a church?
I’m glad we agree on most of what I said. Totally could have overstated but I see a lot of “ready set go” Taylors played in churches. Totally fine if you disagree. I’m sure just as many are played in bars or weekend shows. Just speaking about the world I know. In more secular settings, I feel like people take guitars a little more seriously and more inclined to play something other than a Taylor. What people like about Taylors with ES is how they are plug and play which wreaks havoc on a multi-instrument sound set up.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
After doing a setup on my late 2018 324ce, I visited a local shop to activate the pickup. (backed off the sensors to take saddle out) Got a fresh battery, but don't remember the exact fishman amp played thru.

The ES2 sounded very natural and dynamic, and the tone controls were also satisfactory. Less crunchy sounding than some piezos I've heard.

So, I hear some hate it. That leaves me wondering if it's an issue with earlier variants, and how much better a pickup can get. To me, it was fairly transparent.

I really like it. The only thing that I'm not a big fan is that I need a "bigger" tone for a band setting and the ES2 doesn't deliver as good, at least for me, compared to my other guitars.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

This is one of those threads that makes me giggle from sooooo many perspectives, I just wouldnt know where to begin.

I've had 4 Taylor's lifetime.
02 614ce Barndoor Fishman...liked it a lot
12 914CE ES 1.3 Liked it a lot
12 816CE ES 2 Love it
19 614CE ES 2 Sane answer

Various Radial DI applications
No pedal board or other toys gadgets. Now PA, Different story. Over 30k currently in PA / Lighting. Have run systems as simple as my Amp direct out to 2 JBL Eon G2s, have run PA systems that work 10-20k watts live sound systems, club systems for both Dj's live sound.

I think some get a bit wound, judgmental and a bit critical of Taylor and their systems. Ive heard some amazing musicians playing through very simple pa, guitars, settings, mic'd etc. For the constant critics...let me know when you come up with a better plug and play system, get hired by Taylor or Martin and let me know when you're sold out acoustic show gets rolling. Understand I'm writing this with a bit of tongue and cheek sarcasm. I'll get the popcorn started!!��

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 02-16-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdie2002 View Post
I also love ES2. As a single source system, the ES2 sounds great. It is indeed not fair to compare it to dual source systems with a mic. Still ES2 is way better than the UST’s out there in most guitars.

I think what frustrates most people is that they buy a high end taylor and they are stuck with a subpar pickup system. Taylor should offer their guitars without the pickup. Or like what other manufacturers do is they offer options from third party pickups.

If Taylor is going to update their pickup system, in my opinion, they should keep the 3 knobs. Though I’m not a fan of the barn door controls but to me knobs are okay. I like the convenience the knobs give me. If they can give me these 3 controls in a soundhole format, then that will be a welcome change.
I asked my local Taylor dealer why Taylor guitars make only Acoustic guitars with pickups. My dealer said they could order Taylor guitars without pickups but customers want a pickup in their guitars. Any dealer will order you a Taylor guitar without a pickup.
There is also a kit available that will cover the holes if you chose to remove the ES-2 system.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 PM

You can remove the Taylor ES-2 system and then use this kit to plug the holes left behind.
It would be cool if LR Baggs had a Lyric or Anthem pickup system that would work with the knobs of the Taylor system.
The Taylor ES-2 gets the job done on in my Taylor 810e but I wish it had a LRBaggs System.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Acou....m46890.l49292

Last edited by otis66; 03-03-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
My issue with the ES2 is that it accentuates a variety of string noises that interfere with the otherwise nice tones that the pickup is producing. I am a fingerpicker that uses my fingernails when picking. The ES2 tends to really amplify the unwanted string noises caused by: my nails clicking on the string, my nails scraping down the winding of the strings, and an overall string-ping noise produced on the G and D strings. I know that these noises are part of the sound of an acoustic guitar, but the ES2 seems to accentuate them to the point of being distracting. I've resorted to using a parametric EQ to try to notch out some of the most offending frequencies, but the frequencies change with the string and fretted position. Also, please don't state the obvious technique fix, I've tried about everything and the noises are just to prominent. I'm at the point where I don't believe the ES2 is a good fit for my playing style. Perhaps it would be great for a strummer or someone who doesn't use nails.
You might have one the first ES2 systems, they were pretty sensitive. Taylor solved the problem with a new preamp and offered to a free change. Maybe the Taylor customer service can help you.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post

Taylor changed the preamp of the ES2, to solve the issue. You might want to upgrade the preamp to the new version. I'm glad I did it.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
I asked my local Taylor dealer why Taylor guitars make only Acoustic guitars with pickups. My dealer said they could order Taylor guitars without pickups but customers want a pickup in their guitars. Any dealer will order you a Taylor guitar without a pickup.
There is also a kit available that will cover the holes if you chose to remove the ES-2 system.
Wish I had known this a few weeks ago! Don’t like acoustic pickups in general, jealous of my friends hole free Martin.

As for Taylor’s being used in church? Lol? Is that bad? I see them at dream Theater and Paul McCartney (muh Texan, he’s got Martin and Taylor too my friends)Taylor Swift and blah blah blah too. Taylor is incredibly popular and I’d expect to see them all over any place where music is played. Church included considering its a nice place and nice instruments fit right in.

ES2 is a good nearly universal ‘plug and play’ system. It works across the line. It has 2 powerful Active EQ knobs, which automatically should tell you that you are supposed to be adjusting them subtly not big quarter turns. If you understand this you can see it’s a super easy to use and adjust system that gets you a good sound for live in an amateur setting all the way up the ladder. I really don’t think you’ll ever find a ‘natural’ sounding pickup and I think some of you think you have one are perhaps a bit biased towards the thing you spent money on. A studio is going to mic the guitar, a live setting isn’t a good place to mic a guitar. Hence the ES2 being what it is. I have heard mostly worse sounding systems and the only better systems are involving a mic and piezo blend and they still recommend a preamp.

Thankfully the ES2 has the easy to find and change controls and no gisnt plastic square. Those were horrid. I’d rather have no pick up at all personally, but I’d take the easy ESII over any other system on cost and functionality alone. I do like the Gibson system but you won’t be adjusting that nearly as easy if you have to.

This page just seems to have a lot of irrational distaste for Taylor.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAudi View Post
Wish I had known this a few weeks ago! Don’t like acoustic pickups in general, jealous of my friends hole free Martin.

As for Taylor’s being used in church? Lol? Is that bad? I see them at dream Theater and Paul McCartney (muh Texan, he’s got Martin and Taylor too my friends)Taylor Swift and blah blah blah too. Taylor is incredibly popular and I’d expect to see them all over any place where music is played. Church included considering its a nice place and nice instruments fit right in.

ES2 is a good nearly universal ‘plug and play’ system. It works across the line. It has 2 powerful Active EQ knobs, which automatically should tell you that you are supposed to be adjusting them subtly not big quarter turns. If you understand this you can see it’s a super easy to use and adjust system that gets you a good sound for live in an amateur setting all the way up the ladder. I really don’t think you’ll ever find a ‘natural’ sounding pickup and I think some of you think you have one are perhaps a bit biased towards the thing you spent money on. A studio is going to mic the guitar, a live setting isn’t a good place to mic a guitar. Hence the ES2 being what it is. I have heard mostly worse sounding systems and the only better systems are involving a mic and piezo blend and they still recommend a preamp.

Thankfully the ES2 has the easy to find and change controls and no gisnt plastic square. Those were horrid. I’d rather have no pick up at all personally, but I’d take the easy ESII over any other system on cost and functionality alone. I do like the Gibson system but you won’t be adjusting that nearly as easy if you have to.

This page just seems to have a lot of irrational distaste for Taylor.

I like the ES2 for pretty much all the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I replied earlier that I am not an ES2 basher - I upgraded my 414ce twice from ES1.1 via ES1.3 to ES2. It is as you say one of the easiest plug and play systems out there. I think the three knob solution is very elegant and way preferable to barn door preamps. Most of our acoustics have K&K Pure Minis that go through a floor preamp (Tonebone Pz-Pre) and then into a digital mixer (usually Mackie DL1608) but if I’m doing a gig where I don’t know what I’ll be plugging into ultimately then I take the Taylor.

I get that it isn’t to everyone’s liking but I usually recommend a tweaking of the sensor pressure - that’s why there are 3 Allen-screws in the bridge and it is worth checking them every now and then to get the best tonal response. Too much bass, back off the bass-end sensor; too much scoop, maybe a little more pressure on the middle sensor etc. Climate and humidity will make the materials swell and shrink, it isn’t surprising that small adjustments need to be made from time to time. It’s a price worth paying for a pickup that is piezo-based but not squashed under a bridge saddle.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification