The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Ellis View Post
Hi,

I ended up buying this from Amazon:

LMC Products Foam Ball Toy Football, The Perfect Sports Toy for Party Supplies, Mini Football for Kids. 3-Pack, Brown. Foamballs are 4.75" x 3"

I cut the little football not quite in half lengthwise, then I used sandpaper to get the cut surface flat a reasonable possible. Took my big black sharpie and made the cut surface black.

This fits quite well in my X20 soundhole, but haven't gotten a chance to really crank it up to check feedback resistance. It's on my list of things to do once my downstairs neighbor is out of the house

Matt
Cool idea! Let's just hope it doesn't start wailing out this while doing feedback suppression

Old 03-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Ellis View Post
Hi,

I ended up buying this from Amazon:

LMC Products Foam Ball Toy Football, The Perfect Sports Toy for Party Supplies, Mini Football for Kids. 3-Pack, Brown. Foamballs are 4.75" x 3"

I cut the little football not quite in half lengthwise, then I used sandpaper to get the cut surface flat a reasonable possible. Took my big black sharpie and made the cut surface black.

This fits quite well in my X20 soundhole, but haven't gotten a chance to really crank it up to check feedback resistance. It's on my list of things to do once my downstairs neighbor is out of the house

Matt
Great solution to the unique shape of the X20 soundhole! Since those are sold on Amazon in a 3 pack, cutting them in half (or close to that) would take care of 6 guitars... any 5 of you want to go in on this? I see that they have footballs in various colors... if they are the same color all the way through, the brown would work good with my lauro preto veneer.

I really appreciate creative solutions. When I mentioned this to my wife, she said, "I can make you one out of foam and cover it with black velvet (she's a creative quilter) so it would nearly disappear."

I haven't run into feedback problems with my Bose S1 Pro or L1c.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:04 PM

Hope the football idea works - it's certainly affordable

I found that making one side a little taller (by slightly slanting the cut to the football) results in a better appearance/fit. So the taller side goes towards the player and the shorter side towards the neck.

I too thought the brown would work well with the cocobolo, but using the marker to make it black somehow looked better to me - from a few feet it kind of disappears or basically looks black like the soundhole/carbon fiber.

This morning, I cranked it up to stage volume with zero feedback. I walked right over to my 12" JBL monitor and nada. I'm declaring success and moving on to custom tonedexter wavemaps using my DAW's 8 band para-eq and a Shure SM81.
Godin Multiac Steel HG
Gretsch 6120DE
Old 12-06-2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
At the risk of committing heresy, I ask this question: does anyone know of a soundhole cover that works on an X20? Every once in a while, I have feedback issues while playing amplified, and I wonder has anyone made/or discovered a soundhole cover that would fit the X20?
I read this thread, and thanks for the suggestion about the NERF football.

In a pinch at a gig, some Feedback relief can be had with a layer of gaffer tape (do NOT use duct tape) - this works better with F-hole archtops, but can work with round or other shape sound holes.

And it's UGLY.
1934 Gibson L-12
1937 Gibson L-12 Advanced
1943 Epiphone Broadway
1947 Grimshaw G.5 Revelation
2000 Tacoma AJF22CE5 Jazz King
2006 Eastman AR905-CE-BD
2023 Emerald Kestrel
2016 Gibson Hummingbird Artist
1964 Gibson B-25-12
McPherson CMG 4.5 Camrielle
Emerald X20
McPherson Sable
Rainsong BI- WS-1000
Cordoba Gypsy King Studio Negra
... (etc)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

You mean ESP-Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I have ESPN....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber