The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 AM

I am so impressed with some of the talent this year on both "American Idol" and "The Voice". There are kids of fifteen and sixteen years of age that show so much talent it blows me away. I have high hopes for the future of music. To watch all the contestants get up on a big stage under the bright lights and do their thing is invigorating. To say, "I haven't watched it for years" and then offer an opinion doesn't make any sense. These kids ain't joking out there. I give em' all credit. Ok. To the point...yes a lot of Taylors appear. But Martin and Gibson(some random others) make an appearance here and there as well. If the kids are getting corporate benefits from guitar companies I would refer you to last nights "Voice" show where the singer ripped off her Gibson mid-song and tossed it across the stage like it was day old bread! (I was horrified). If someone is paying someone I don't think the kids get it. They are attempting their best. They won't play just any axe handed to them. I want to believe that. Also, the sound and backing musicians are first class on these shows. This is no small production. The "Voice" band prepared 24 songs for the two hour show last night. Each to the whim of the performer! (These guys are good.) You know you did well when the band smiles and offers you a high five! Shoot, that would make my year.

Last edited by Jobe; 04-30-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 AM

I watch the Idol at the beginning to catch all those singers whose momma said they were the best in the world, then they get the smack of truth from the judges! And I watch it towards the end when the cream of the crop compete. My money is on Laine Hardy...party with a Hardy! Don't like all the guys that sing like a girl on that show. There's a couple guys who sing like a man, and the best of those I think is Laine. He also is like a young Elvis...I won't be surprised if he wins this year. Lots of nice guitars on display, more than other years it seems.

With all the guys that sing like a girl, I'm looking forward to when the girls start singing like a guy...we need another Cher!

Last edited by Timotao; 04-30-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timotao View Post
I watch the Idol at the beginning to catch all those singers whose momma said they were the best in the world, then they get the smack of truth from the judges! And I watch it towards the end when the cream of the crop compete. My money is on Laine Hardy...party with a Hardy! Don't like all the guys that sing like a girl on that show. There's a couple guys who sing like a man, and the best of those I think is Laine. He also is like a young Elvis...I won't be surprised if he wins this year. Lots of nice guitars on display, more than other years it seems.

With all the guys that sing like a girl, I'm looking forward to when the girls start singing like a guy...we need another Cher!
Ha! My money goes to the girls. Especially Luci Kay Booth. I Love that unique salty voice. She may not be the best but she hits me the hardest with her style. The boys who ' sing like a man ' run the risk of sounding like every cover band you have ever heard on Saturday night. Song choice is key. And your personal take on a well known song sets you apart. ( And your guitar choice of course. We leave that to the local experts.) !
Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Formerly "PastorSteve"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americana View Post
Which places would you say have singers more talented than the ones you see on American Idol?
I find that performers on The Voice are a step above other shows. Those who also play guitar or keyboards are, generally, equally talented there as well. That said, I haven't watched this years Idol after the redo and judge changes. I flipped by the other day and saw Katy Perry in what could only be described as The Hulk makeup. I thought "What the heck...." and moved on.

Edited: That is not a universal statement. "Generally" The Voice contestants are more talented, in my experience, due to the judging. They are blind judged on their voice alone to continue on the show. Later it becomes more of a package with performance and production but from the beginning it's all about the voice.

FOR SALE: Breedlove Frontier Concerto E, all Mahogany
Old 04-30-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

The talent is strong this year and the last several seasons have done wonders for acoustic guitar exposure for sure. The constant gushings and standing ovations annoy me though--a performance truly worthy of a standing ovation with comments like "you have an amazing gift like no one before you" should not happen several times a show. Bring back Simon....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion