The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 02:41 PM

You will want to play before you buy.
These import Guild guitars are nice but they have a sound of their own in my opinion.
I like some and others, not so much.

If you can't play before you buy, try getting the guitar from someplace like Guitar Center, where you get a 30 day free trial period. If within that time frame you don't like the guitar, then take it back for full refund.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:43 PM

I recently picked up a mint m40 for slightly under 800 shipped and it's a fantastic little guitar, quickly becoming one of my favorites. The newer american made guilds go for very cheap on the used market and are a great option for an american all solid guitar at sub 1K.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
From what I read on some forums, beware of those with carbon block that apparently wronged Guild good reputation.
Those were the Contemporary series that they made for a year or two in Corona. It was Guild's take on the bold on neck that Taylor had come up with, I suspect. While it is true that many were rushed out or sold as seconds, since Guild was on the move to New Hardford. While some certainly have been reported to have neck fit or even neck warp issues, you can find the non Used or B-stock ones without any issues. I just got a CO-1 ( cedar top, rosewood back and sides ) and it is a great sounding guitar. Other models in the series were the CO-2 and the CV-1 and CV-2. It does pay to ask lots of questions before buying one of this line to make sure it's free of issues.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2013 Guild Newark St. X-175B
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
Old 04-27-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I briefly owned the m240e with arched back. it projected great and was a solid guitar. Only sold it because I was gifted the m20. I really enjoyed the sound and the feel of it.

I suspect the D240e is much the same re: quality of construction and projection (both were excellent on the m240e).
You must have some great friends to gift you a top tier guitar. How would you say the m240e measures up in comparison to the m20?

I'm considering the D40, though I had been saving that money for a professional grade old time open back banjo. It seems like anywhere in the music world, whether it's banjos or guitars or violins, people in these forums have the basic out look that anything less than $2000 instrument is little more than toy.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondWafers View Post
I recently picked up a mint m40 for slightly under 800 shipped and it's a fantastic little guitar, quickly becoming one of my favorites. The newer american made guilds go for very cheap on the used market and are a great option for an american all solid guitar at sub 1K.
Why are the newer American made Guilds going for so cheap? In researching reviews of the D40, I see people are ranting and raving about vintage D40s all over the web.

I kinda want to believe that China has had enough time to figure out how to build proper American style instruments.

I met a guy in banjo hangout who lives in Japan and works for Recording King setting up factories to make RK banjos. He says China has an ancient history of building instruments that are second to none, and they have luthiers over there that make such amazing guitars for dirty cheap labor, that they keep Martin execs up at night.

I really want to know if the D140 and the D40 are almost identical guitars, and both solid, and the only difference is one is made in China and one in USA, what is the qualitative difference?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Those were the Contemporary series that they made for a year or two in Corona. It was Guild's take on the bold on neck that Taylor had come up with, I suspect. While it is true that many were rushed out or sold as seconds, since Guild was on the move to New Hardford. While some certainly have been reported to have neck fit or even neck warp issues, you can find the non Used or B-stock ones without any issues. I just got a CO-1 ( cedar top, rosewood back and sides ) and it is a great sounding guitar. Other models in the series were the CO-2 and the CV-1 and CV-2. It does pay to ask lots of questions before buying one of this line to make sure it's free of issues.
What years are those models you are talking about? B-stock? You mean stock that didn't sell from a previous year?

What issues are we talking about? Wood that just doesn't resonate right? A warped neck? Strings that don't make the corrected notes when fretted? I really don't know, as I just know basic guitar playing.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:54 PM

The contemporary series was only made for a year or two. I think in the 2006-2007ish time frame. I played one some years ago, when in a cool guitar store and they wanted more than I could afford and this one had a good scratch on the back. I think they MSRP'd for the mid $2000 range. I remember liked the tone though, so I have been on the look out for one, at a lower cost.

The story is that it was an experimental design with a bolt on neck and a carbon fiber neck attachment that was referred to as a "spider". It was supposed to support the top under the fretboard and not move like a traditional dove tail joint block could. However, the series was released a bit too quick and they had production issues with the necks themselves. So, they got a bad reputation and then, Fender dumped the unsold ones through one of their companies as "B stock" at a discount and no warranty to get them out of inventory before they moved Guild to New Hartford. So, a great many will have their serial number on the label covered with a copper colored sticker. That how you know it was sold as a liquidation. Some may have had a neck issue, some just some small cosmetic problem, while some may have been just fine.

As far as I know, they didn't have any sound issues at all, just neck fitment or when the wood was not dried properly, some neck twisting type problems. I have not seen one of these issues so I can not give you any details.

I will say this, while the one I just got has a very slight hump as the fretboard meets the body, which means the really low 6th setting on the saddle will need a slightly taller saddle on that 6th string end to keep in from buzzing from frets 11 -15 when I play up that high, it plays and sounds really good. 1-3/4" nut too. If you were a player than never went that far up the fretboard, you would never even notice. It's that slight.
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
Old 04-27-2019, 11:01 PM

You also asked about the difference between a USA Guild and an offshore guitar they designed and then had build over seas.

The over seas products were built to the Guild design, but but designed to hit a price point. They were made fast and with less select woods and tuners and other bits. I don't think you will see the same fit and finish , if you looked inside when compared to a guitar with a $2000-$3000 MSPR price range. But, the GAD series has it fans. I remember picking up a Guild in a store , years ago, gave it a quick play and said, " Why is this priced so low ? Was it used ? ". Then I looked inside and saw it was a GAD series. Most people here have said that they are really good, got the price you pay for them. They mostly place and sound like a Guild, and I would recommend them, if you can't find a good deal on a used USA or new USA Guild.

Why are Guild selling at lower prices on the used market ? Because they are NOT known as well as Fender, Martin, and Gibson, but they have been made since about 1956, I think and really have had a very stable quality level.
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
Old 04-28-2019, 09:25 PM

Speaking of Import Guild the older GAD series are very good value too. I've tried some and pretty impressed. My only complaint is it will need a good setup, the action on every GAD that i tried are very very high
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 AM

This is my opinion -from experience

If you want a Guild guitar and you want a great one
buy an original Guild ( before Fender butchered the brand )
they are pretty much all pro quality guitars
and they are all USA made -

The Orient made models are not bad for what you pay
but you can many times buy an used original for about the same
as you would pay for one of those -I have seen alot of older Guilds on the market .

I like the Cordoba brand and am happy they took it over
hoping to run into a 512 someday ( 12 string )
Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
This is my opinion -from experience

If you want a Guild guitar and you want a great one
buy an original Guild ( before Fender butchered the brand )
they are pretty much all pro quality guitars
and they are all USA made -

The Orient made models are not bad for what you pay
but you can many times buy an used original for about the same
as you would pay for one of those -I have seen alot of older Guilds on the market .

I like the Cordoba brand and am happy they took it over
hoping to run into a 512 someday ( 12 string )
I beg to differ. Fender bought the Guild brand in 1995, and Guild continued to produce stellar guitars for the next 19 years. Those made in Tacoma (2004-08) and New Hartford (2009-14) are particularly sweet.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 PM

Every Guild US factory has its share of fans. Westerly perhaps the most, but some people will tell you they were better from the Hoboken, New Jersey factory.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 PM

Not all models were made in Hoboken, and you limit your choices to guitars from 1956 to 1966. Westerly is 1966 to about 2000. Fender didn't change how well the guitars were made by owning the company. The same people made them.
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 PM

I have a Guild D-140, all solid wood, and it is a fantastic guitar. One of my all time favorites.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Not all models were made in Hoboken, and you limit your choices to guitars from 1956 to 1966. Westerly is 1966 to about 2000. Fender didn't change how well the guitars were made by owning the company. The same people made them.
We give Fender a hard time for how they treated Guild but if you step back and look at the moves there is some logic to them.
- When Fender purchased Guild the Westerly factory was in poor condition.
- Fender had a newer more modern facility in Corona California so they packed up Guild and moved it. I don't think any Westerly employees moved to California.
- The Corona plant was experiencing teething problems in the finishing department and some 'B' grade guitars came out of this period. I've got one.
- Fender bought Tacoma Guitars in Washington and decided to move the Guild line over to an existing acoustic guitar plant. These were fine guitars.
- Guild bought Ovation which had an even better facility than Tacoma in New Hartford so Guild moved again. These were excellent guitars too.
- Finally Fender sold Guild completely to Cordoba who already made guitars in Oxnard so naturally they wanted it all under the one roof so Guild moved again.

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion