The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I’m spending my limited time and energy while on this planet playing music and addressing greater injustices.

I did inform one builder (who uses Mainstage cases) about the circumstances, some time back...and the very typical human-behavior was that the builder did nothing.

In the vernacular of the day, sad.
I’m with Larry on this, I’ve had builders suggest Mainstage and I’ve declined - a good case it may be. It’s a small thing, but, especially in this day in age, we must rely on people to do the right thing. Jon’s doing it right in Austin. It costs more, sure, but it’s a better product and, most importantly, nobody got financially harmed in the process.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 09-29-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: edit content
Old 09-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I’m spending my limited time and energy while on this planet playing music and addressing greater injustices.

I did inform one builder (who uses Mainstage cases) about the circumstances, some time back...and the very typical human-behavior was that the builder did nothing.

In the vernacular of the day, sad.
If something unethical and/or illegal was done in the past by the owners, that's unfortunate, but I think it's time to move on (as you yourself just admitted in your first sentence, it's not a high priority for you). And I'm also not going to judge any luthiers or dealers for choosing to use or offer Main Stage cases. Obviously you and Everett disagree, so we'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 09-29-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Guitarist - Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
If something unethical and/or illegal was done in the past by the owners, that's unfortunate, but I think it's time to move on (as you yourself just admitted in your first sentence, it's not a high priority for you). And I'm also not going to judge any luthiers or dealers for choosing to use or offer Main Stage cases. Obviously you and Everett disagree, so we'll just leave it at that.

It’s not about Jim Laffoley, who owned the former businesses...Calton, and then Workhorse.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 09-29-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: edit content
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Saw a cool feature on Acoustic Tuesday today on these killer cases made in Austin. No idea what they cost, but love all the options available.

Anyone have opinions on these and if they're worth the money...I'm assuming they are not cheap!

Thanks, scott
My only gripe with Calton’s cases is that they weight a lot more than other flight cases. I prefer Hoffee for the lighter weight, but I’ve seen other nice carbon fiber cases as well.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 PM

The original OP was asking about the quality of cases coming out of Austin currently.

I strongly suggest that we get back to that PLEASE.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Guitarist - Humanist

I understand that they’re very good, if a bit heavy compared to the modern CF cases. I haven’t seen one yet in person, but the reports are all good, and they are rather beautiful.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-30-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Calton Case Family Pic..

Old 04-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Not cheap and kinda heavy.......... but almost completely bombproof in their strength.
Hi Earl
That's why I own them for my Olson and Bashkin, and not the slightly-less-expensive, composite cases which are uber light, and allegedly crush proof (and nearly as expensive as Caltons).

I want a case which will take-out-a-knee-cap if someone runs into it, and mine are all pure white, because white reflects light/heat. It's purely for the protection that I own them. I also want a pick drawer that I can put enough gear to get through a gig in.

Even given the new case options available these days, I'd still opt for a Calton.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 04-27-2019, 04:42 AM
Calton Cases / Musician

Great to read all the positive comments about Calton Cases.

I have a new role with the company and will be pleased to answer any questions and hear from owners and potential owners. I have 19 Calton cases myself and love them. The earliest dates from the 70s.

If anyone is attending the La Conner Guitar Festival May 10-12 I’ll look forward to seeing you there. No stand this year but I’ll be around, case in hand.

Chris Stern

Calton Cases
Artist and Luthier Relations

32 guitars (no wife!)

Bown 7/Wingert 2/Kinscherff 3/Wren 2/Sobell 2/Olson 1/Ryan 1/Froggy Bottom 2/Collings 2/Martin Vintage (1840s to 1920s) 5/Ark New Era 1/Baranik 1/Northworthy 1/PRS (Electric) 1/ Höfner Violin Bass (1963) 1

7 banjos
3 mandolins

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 04-27-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:12 AM
Calton Cases / Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Earl
That's why I own them for my Olson and Bashkin, and not the slightly-less-expensive, composite cases which are uber light, and allegedly crush proof (and nearly as expensive as Caltons).

I want a case which will take-out-a-knee-cap if someone runs into it, and mine are all pure white, because white reflects light/heat. It's purely for the protection that I own them. I also want a pick drawer that I can put enough gear to get through a gig in.

Even given the new case options available these days, I'd still opt for a Calton.

Great to read this Larry. It’s what has led to my involvement with the company.

Chris Stern

Calton Cases

32 guitars (no wife!)

Bown 7/Wingert 2/Kinscherff 3/Wren 2/Sobell 2/Olson 1/Ryan 1/Froggy Bottom 2/Collings 2/Martin Vintage (1840s to 1920s) 5/Ark New Era 1/Baranik 1/Northworthy 1/PRS (Electric) 1/ Höfner Violin Bass (1963) 1

7 banjos
3 mandolins

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM

Default Love my new Calton case (and the way they do business)

I purchased a used Calton case which fit my Goodall RCJ pretty well. Only thing was it was missing a few parts, Which I didn't think was a big deal. Turns out this case was so old that I couldn't get the parts. As I was discussing my options, it was clear that the guys to talk to were going to be at the 2019 NAMM show. So I made a plan to take the case to show them and work a plan.

So I met Jeff (owner) and his team at the show. They couldn't have been nicer. I talked with Jeff about building a new case and I'd trade in my original one. He was very agreeable to the plan and wanted the old case for a museum he was starting. So they took all the measurements and the outline of the Goodall.

It took a good while but finally, I received the new case yesterday. It fits just as I expected. I love the new design of the latches, bumpers and the new handle. My wife loves the gray color as opposed to the original white one.

I really appreciate the way they worked this plan for me. I think theirs are the best cases on the market and they are great guys to work with. I so appreciate this type of company which operates as a family and genuinely cares about their business and their customers. I heard from Jeff several times during the process.

They get top marks from me for solving my problem and providing me with such a quality case. The design and quality of the new case is superb. They have earned a customer for life here. I'll be using them for all my guitars.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Calton Cases / Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by netefx View Post
I purchased a used Calton case which fit my Goodall RCJ pretty well. Only thing was it was missing a few parts, Which I didn't think was a big deal. Turns out this case was so old that I couldn't get the parts. As I was discussing my options, it was clear that the guys to talk to were going to be at the 2019 NAMM show. So I made a plan to take the case to show them and work a plan.

So I met Jeff (owner) and his team at the show. They couldn't have been nicer. I talked with Jeff about building a new case and I'd trade in my original one. He was very agreeable to the plan and wanted the old case for a museum he was starting. So they took all the measurements and the outline of the Goodall.

It took a good while but finally, I received the new case yesterday. It fits just as I expected. I love the new design of the latches, bumpers and the new handle. My wife loves the gray color as opposed to the original white one.

I really appreciate the way they worked this plan for me. I think theirs are the best cases on the market and they are great guys to work with. I so appreciate this type of company which operates as a family and genuinely cares about their business and their customers. I heard from Jeff several times during the process.

They get top marks from me for solving my problem and providing me with such a quality case. The design and quality of the new case is superb. They have earned a customer for life here. I'll be using them for all my guitars.
Comments really appreciated Mark. Hope you get many years use out of the case.

Good to meet you at NAMM.

Chris Stern

Calton Cases

32 guitars (no wife!)

7 banjos
3 mandolins

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-28-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netefx View Post

Hi netefx

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you like the new case, and the people running the company.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 AM

Blue skies & blue sparkle..

Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
Blue skies & blue sparkle..

Whoa! That is SUPER cool. Love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion