The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 03-11-2018, 06:51 PM
jljohn jljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
I take your point about headstock protection but versus a Calton there is no space for a strap or anything much other than a capo and a few picks. My Hoffee is relatively early and I had the handle moved to better balance it. In its favour, the Hoffee is significantly lighter than my Caltons.
Ok, that makes sense--I think Jeff's earlier cases were indeed slimmer and may have had less storage. In each of my cases (made in 2014 and 2017), I have room for a strap, spare strings, string winder and cutter, polishing cloths, hygrometer, picks and capo in a case, spare batteries, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Haasome's Avatar
Haasome Haasome is offline
Charter Picker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
So what case is stronger than a Calton but weighs considerably less, with MORE room inside to store accessories? This is the one I picked.

http://www.karuracase.com/

I just bought one of these. I went back and forth between a few brands, but Karura seemed like the best mix of light weight and rugged durability. I have faith it will endure. BTW, I purchased it from AGF Sponsor Dream Guitars. Great communication and service.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-28-2018, 01:00 PM
dberkowitz dberkowitz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 824
Default

They are lovely cases; however they don’t have the flexibility in that they have limited shell sizes to accommodate the miriad of modern guitars with different depths relative to size and or scale lengths.
__________________
David D. Berkowitz
Berkowitz Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Carmel Cedar Carmel Cedar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milwaukee area, WI
Posts: 1,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Calton makes a great case, but if I were selecting a new flight case, I'd take a Hoffee any day of the week.
Me too. I'm up to 3 Hoffee cases for my best guitars. Like their looks, ergonomics (ease of open/close) and lower weight vs Carlton and MainStage I've owned in the past. Going on faith that Hoffee provides crush-protection in the same ballpark as Carlton.

Think we can get Consumer Reports to do some crush-testing assessments and rate the various case options for us?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 PM
Tloftis Tloftis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 30
Default

Might want to check out a Price case. A better case IMHO than the Calton and less expensive, Gary’s cases are well known in the banjo world, not so much around here. He only makes a Dreadnaught case though. A don’t forget Hoffee.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 PM
kbrooks kbrooks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 26
Default

I have a Canadian Calton from the apparent Laffoley era. I recall my luthier
had a tough time getting it, but once it arrived it was great. No issues at all
for 8 years.

Edit: Sad that he did shady things that hurt Mr. Williams and others.
__________________

-kb

__________________
2010 Roberts Minstrel
2017 JW Van Tele
1931 Martin C-2

Last edited by kbrooks; 09-29-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 AM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Guitarist - Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,787
Default Calton Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooks View Post
I have a Canadian Calton from the apparent LeFort era. I recall my luthier

had a tough time getting it, but once it arrived it was great. No issues at all

for 8 years.



Whether LeFort “stole” from Mr. Williams is above my pay grade. I do recall

“lack of delivery” posts from that time regarding alleged lack of business expertise on LeFort’s part. Sad if he also did shady things that hurt Mr. Williams.


Not LeFort (?).

Jim Laffoley.

I know what happened, and I know how he screwed Al Williams...and to a lesser extent, a whole bunch of other people.
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-29-2018, 08:27 AM
pattste pattste is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 245
Default

I've heard about the Laffoley/Workhorse Cases situation from three different sources. There is no doubt in my mind that some people were wronged by him. I don't know the specifics of how Workhorse became Main Stage, who paid what to whom. My understanding is that Keith Calton's issues are with Laffoley, not Main Stage. In fact, I have heard only good things about Main Stage Cases and the two owners. The two Calton dealers in Canada are also Mainstage dealers and had no reservation in recommending them. Main Stage's list of clients is a who's who of the Canadian music scene and some of the biggest names in lutherie offer their cases.

I need a case for my new OM built by a local luthier. The guitar's measurements are not exactly standard Martin OM. I sent both Calton and Main Stage an email exactly a week ago today to ask about the possibilities. Main Stage answered the same day. I also spoke to one of the owners last Monday. They had an overstock case listed on their site and he happily offered to re-fit the case to my guitar free of charge. It ships early next week.

Calton never replied to my email, which is unfortunate because they were my first choice going in. I have a Calton (Austin) for another guitar which I love.
__________________
Latulippe OM #17 (Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot electric (fall 2019)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM
kbrooks kbrooks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 26
Default

Larry Pattis I edited that post in response to your info, and thanks for the name correction ... not sure where that came from. .... If there are any LeForts around I apologize.


I am glad that there are more choices from honest builders, nowadays.
__________________

-kb

__________________
2010 Roberts Minstrel
2017 JW Van Tele
1931 Martin C-2

Last edited by kbrooks; 09-29-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Cincy2's Avatar
Cincy2 Cincy2 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 289
Default

I just purchased a Kevin Ryan guitar that came with this new Austin build Calton. This is the first one I've seen in several years since before all the drama. I have to say this is a very impressive piece of work. Solid, heavy, very tight seal around the cover, reinforced latches. This thing must be nuclear bomb proof. Yes they are expensive and heavy but I don't believe you could ask for better protection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180915_075003_resized.jpg (24.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20180915_075106_resized.jpg (16.8 KB, 94 views)
__________________
2015 Spruce / Amazon RW Greenfield G1
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM
kbrooks kbrooks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 26
Default

That case looks impressive, the reinforced latches look like a good improvement.
Proper home for such a fine guitar :-)
__________________

-kb

__________________
2010 Roberts Minstrel
2017 JW Van Tele
1931 Martin C-2
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 AM
jhmulkey jhmulkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I've heard about the Laffoley/Workhorse Cases situation from three different sources. There is no doubt in my mind that some people were wronged by him. I don't know the specifics of how Workhorse became Main Stage, who paid what to whom. My understanding is that Keith Calton's issues are with Laffoley, not Main Stage. In fact, I have heard only good things about Main Stage Cases and the two owners. The two Calton dealers in Canada are also Mainstage dealers and had no reservation in recommending them. Main Stage's list of clients is a who's who of the Canadian music scene and some of the biggest names in lutherie offer their cases.

I need a case for my new OM built by a local luthier. The guitar's measurements are not exactly standard Martin OM. I sent both Calton and Main Stage an email exactly a week ago today to ask about the possibilities. Main Stage answered the same day. I also spoke to one of the owners last Monday. They had an overstock case listed on their site and he happily offered to re-fit the case to my guitar free of charge. It ships early next week.

Calton never replied to my email, which is unfortunate because they were my first choice going in. I have a Calton (Austin) for another guitar which I love.
+1 Yep, Main Stage is great. If reputable luthiers and dealers have no issue with them, neither do I.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-29-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Guitarist - Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,787
Default Calton Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
+1 Yep, Main Stage is great. If reputable luthiers and dealers have no issue with them, neither do I.


I know more than one builder who uses them, but are unaware of the underlying history/circumstances.

Ignorance of the facts is not knowledge.
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-29-2018, 12:51 PM
jhmulkey jhmulkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I know more than one builder who uses them, but are unaware of the underlying history/circumstances.

Ignorance of the facts is not knowledge.
Perhaps you should inform them. Obviously you have a personal relationship with these builders if you know they are "unaware of the underlying history/circumstances."
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Larry Pattis's Avatar
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline
Guitarist - Humanist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,787
Default Calton Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Perhaps you should inform them. Obviously you have a personal relationship with these builders if you know they are "unaware of the underlying history/circumstances."


I’m spending my limited time and energy while on this planet playing music and addressing greater injustices.

I did inform one builder (who uses Mainstage cases) about the circumstances, some time back...and the very typical human-behavior was that the builder did nothing.

In the vernacular of the day, sad.
__________________
Larry Pattis on Spotify and Pandora
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 09-29-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: edit content
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=