The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Default New mandocello day

Ordered this today

https://www.mandocello.org/shop/81

Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Had never heard of these before until I saw this at DreamGuitars.com

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...pruce-046.html

Obviously, the one I got was a more tradition "mando-style" than a guitar style.

Ralph and Ray also make these in an OM-sized guitar body (not just the jumbo body shown here).

And actually it's not just a mandocello, but a combination of mandocello and octave mandolin. It has 5 courses. The middle 3 courses combined with the highest pitched course makes the octave mandolin and the middle 3 courses combined with the lowest pitched course makes the mandocello.

Sounds like DreamGuitars is going to start selling some of their instruments (perhaps just the guitar-shaped ones?). I've bought several guitars from them and they are a first-rate company. And now that I've talked with Ray for over a week before deciding to get the one I ordered, I'll have to say that they're a first-rate company, as well.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That Walnut is gorgeous. Very arresting, especially without a soundboard soundhole. I like it.
With those 5 courses, it's like an octave cittern, no? I've never seen an "A" style mando-cello before. What's the scale length?
Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Right. Most of the time I’ve been around ten string/five course long-necked mandolin family instruments they’ve been called “citterns,” but there are a wide array of approaches to them.

How loud is this all-walnut ‘cello when compared to the same size instrument with a spruce or cedar top? Does it have a pickup in it?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Way cool! I love walnut, to look at and for woodworking projects.

I have pondered an octave mandolin on several occasions. Regular mandolin has a tiny neck, too small for my bear paws (size XXL gloves). I've even considered a custom made wide-neck mandolin. I'm not completely averse to smaller necks, having just spent the last two hours playing tenor ukulele at a senior center. But regular mandolin is just too small for this guitar player that has "bass player" finger pads.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:49 PM

The scale length is 24.56"

Here's a video that compares this mandocello to one of his other ones (the other one is cherry back/sides, with a cedar/cedar double-top, and a more traditional floating bridge.

Both have no sound hole, but have a sound port on the top side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmzCn6INOU8

Yes, these both have a pickup. They make them in their own shop, but based on what they told me, they are similar to the K&K pickups (three piezo elements attached to the bridge plate).

The one playing at the beginning (before you SEE Jason Ring playing) is also the walnut one that I bought.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:59 PM

The walnut/cedar double-top is supposedly a bit louder (to the player) than the other one in the video (which is a cedar/cedar double-top).

Based on the video, I can't really tell which is louder. The cedar/cedar double-top, though, definitely has more "bite" to it. I preferred the tone of the walnut /cedar double-top, though. A bit warmer, IMO. Also preferred the looks of it.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:05 PM

PS: They put this comparison together for me, so I could decide which I wanted to buy. They're in Virginia and I'm in Texas, so it's a bit tough for me to go there and play them myself.

A big thanks to Ralph Dammann and Jason Ring (the guy playing in the video) for making this happen. And thanks to Ray Varona for building this instrument.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
The walnut/cedar double-top is supposedly a bit louder (to the player) than the other one in the video (which is a cedar/cedar double-top).

Based on the video, I can't really tell which is louder. The cedar/cedar double-top, though, definitely has more "bite" to it. I preferred the tone of the walnut /cedar double-top, though. A bit warmer, IMO. Also preferred the looks of it.
The floating bridge has a very loud and responsive attack, with a bright tone that follows. Cherry is a great tonewood, it has great highs that decay a bit slower than the low ends... So the overall sustain on the walnut is a bit louder, but not with as much punch. The walnut doubletop kinda made me sad to see go.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Thanks again for the kind words! And for the great suggestions! Above all, for the shout out to the forum and youtube! do keep us posted on what you think of it as you play it.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaring View Post
The walnut doubletop kinda made me sad to see go.
Apparently there's a lady who called within a day or two after I did wanting this walnut mandocello. And I think Ralph also mentioned that another one is being built, so she won't have to wait too long to get one.

I don't remember how long this one's been available (a year or so?), but it's amazing that two people decided they wanted it within only a couple of days of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaring View Post
do keep us posted on what you think of it as you play it.
Well, I've never played mandolin before (and I'm not that great at guitar, either), so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to really say.

But I have to ask (since I always ask the salesman when I buy a guitar) . . . will THIS one make me play like Jerry Reed?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 PM

That's a beauty. Builder selected very nice grain on that walnut.

I'm fond of black walnut - my wire harps are walnut. Some of the figure reminds me of a coral rosewood Pimentel guitar I had.

Last edited by catt; 10-19-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Way cool! I love walnut, to look at and for woodworking projects.

I have pondered an octave mandolin on several occasions. Regular mandolin has a tiny neck, too small for my bear paws (size XXL gloves). I've even considered a custom made wide-neck mandolin. I'm not completely averse to smaller necks, having just spent the last two hours playing tenor ukulele at a senior center. But regular mandolin is just too small for this guitar player that has "bass player" finger pads.
I’ve known Earl for years and played music with him, and can attest that he’s a tall guy. Earl is so big that he scares bears and frightens career politicians....

whm
Old 10-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a very cool looking, cool sounding instrument! I enjoyed watching the video!

- Glenn
Old 10-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Wow! Looks amazing.
Congratulations.

I have been wanting a mandocello for some time now...
I played (for 10 seconds) one of these my local shop last week and am smitten..

http://andymanson.com/instruments/mandocello/

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Foli ver.waitze%2Fposts%2F2168396036504469&width=500" width="500" height="567" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Various stringed instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments