The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-03-2022, 12:43 PM

Default Recent CF convert; AGF noob

Hey y'all. I reckon this is my first post on the forum. Great resource, for sure.

I moved from SoCal to the Boston area about 6 years ago. About 5 years later, despite my best humidifying efforts, my mid-90s Martin OM28v started taking a licking. Bridge lifting, neck needs a reset, etc.

So of course I bought a carbon fiber guitar instead. (I'll still get around to giving the Martin the love it needs.) Found a nice deal last spring on a Composite Acoustics OX Raw and have really enjoyed it. Surprisingly warm sound, holds its tuning, AND I can just leave it on a stand all year round? WOW! Took it up to my lake house in northern Ontario, Canada, and it did just as great in living room jams and even a few plug-ins at the local bar.

Well, GAS has gotten the best of me, and this past Friday I spotted a basically brand new 2022 X-20 on Reverb with a lovely satin walnut veneer front and black carbon back, an LR Baggs Element, and the hardshell case for what struck me as a VERY good deal. Jumped on it. And the wife didn't kill me! (I avoided early cremation by offering to sell two other guitars I don't really play anymore.)

It's slated to get here Weds, and I. Am. Stoked. It can't get here soon enough!

I'd post some pics but it looks like I have to host them elsewhere and link? That kinda smacks of effort...

Anyway, just glad to be here and to have found this cool resource. Hope y'all are having a solid day!

-T
Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the incoming X20! And welcome aboard. This carbon fiber sub-forum is a great place to get and share info on carbon fiber guitars... and, of course, we appreciate photos. Totally worth the effort to link an image.

Oh, and you are going to love that X20 - great sound and delightfully comfortable!
Old 10-03-2022, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF. Cool you are digging your new CF guitars. Congrats on the X-20

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-04-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
and, of course, we appreciate photos. Totally worth the effort to link an image.
I'd be rude not to share them, I reckon'. (Although the image uploader didn't like shared google drive links. So I guess Google drive ain't an option for hosting going forward.)

Here's a couple of the CA OX Raw. A close up to see the finish, which is understated and cool, IMO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zp9...ew?usp=sharing

Here it is living its best lake life this summer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5s...ew?usp=sharing

And a couple of the new Emerald X-20 that gets here tomorrow, from the seller's posting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GLw...ew?usp=sharing

Digging that veneer...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n9K...ew?usp=sharing

-T
Old 10-04-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF and the world of carbon fiber, Todd.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-06-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, Todd. That X-20 is beautiful. A unique piece of walnut.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:46 AM

Thanks, gang! I'm kind of in love with the thing. Spent a couple hours with it when it got here on Weds—definitely has more low end than my CA OX but is still really comfy despite the deeper body.

Then I spent last night in a session at the studio with the writing partner in one of my projects. He thought it was superior to the OX, too. And what a fun session. Look forward to taking it out for a live acoustic gig we have at the end of the month.

I'll keep the OX but it's going to quickly become my 2nd acoustic I think. Until I get the OM28v fixed, then it might drop to 3rd, lol.

Here's the X-20 at home on its stand.

-T

Old 10-07-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Whoa nice looking top!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 10-07-2022, 01:46 PM

Welcome to the carbon fiber world. I bought my first one this year, a Rainsong OM and it won't be my last. It's already been in 100+ temps all day and down below freezing and sounded great at all Won't be last CF...

Welcome aboard
Ron
Old 10-07-2022, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I LOVE the top and the headstock match. The carbon weave on back is pretty striking, too, IMO.

AND I love having it out on a stand all year round just ready to grab and play. Since going CF I just play more often because they're not stuffed away in a case like my wooden acoustics.

Not sure I'm looking forward to my first string change with the pinless bridge (or swapping out the 9V in the pickup system). But I figure it'll get easier each time I do it.

-T
Old 10-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
Yeah, I LOVE the top and the headstock match. The carbon weave on back is pretty striking, too, IMO.

AND I love having it out on a stand all year round just ready to grab and play. Since going CF I just play more often because they're not stuffed away in a case like my wooden acoustics.

Not sure I'm looking forward to my first string change with the pinless bridge (or swapping out the 9V in the pickup system). But I figure it'll get easier each time I do it.

-T
Hey Todd, I've never had a chance to play one or even see one in person. What pickup is in there and where's the battery?

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 10-11-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Todd, I've never had a chance to play one or even see one in person. What pickup is in there and where's the battery?
It's a factory installed LR Baggs Element. Volume and tone controls are easily accessible right at the player-facing soundhole, so it's easier to see and adjust those than on a guitar with a standard soundhole. Which is nice.

To find the 9V, I had to get a light in there to poke around as there's a bit of wiring inside. The battery pouch is tucked up in the high/side of the guitar. Kind of where your armpit would be while playing it.

I can get my hand through the soundhole fine with my watch off, but it seems removing/replacing the battery will be a "by feel" endeavor. I figure it'll get easier to do each time, kind of like restringing it with this fancy pinless bridge.

So my CA OX wins for ease of battery access, as it's external (and having an EQ and tuner onboard the CA is nice, too). But the X-20 sounds superior unplugged. I just ordered a 2nd stand like the one pictured above off Amazon today ($49! Prime Day deal) so I can leave both of them out of the case and ready to play in an instant.

-T
Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a factory installed LR Baggs Element. Volume and tone controls are easily accessible right at the player-facing soundhole, so it's easier to see and adjust those than on a guitar with a standard soundhole. Which is nice.

To find the 9V, I had to get a light in there to poke around as there's a bit of wiring inside. The battery pouch is tucked up in the high/side of the guitar. Kind of where your armpit would be while playing it.

I can get my hand through the soundhole fine with my watch off, but it seems removing/replacing the battery will be a "by feel" endeavor. I figure it'll get easier to do each time, kind of like restringing it with this fancy pinless bridge.

So my CA OX wins for ease of battery access, as it's external (and having an EQ and tuner onboard the CA is nice, too). But the X-20 sounds superior unplugged. I just ordered a 2nd stand like the one pictured above off Amazon today ($49! Prime Day deal) so I can leave both of them out of the case and ready to play in an instant.

-T
Cool, thanks for response. I have an Element in my Rainsong and it's my best sounding plugged in sound. I believe that the Element pickup works well with carbon fiber, moreso than with a wood guitar. (my opinion)
It is real easy to dial in a good amplified sound with my Bose S1, Fishman Artist, and full on pa system.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 10-31-2022, 08:29 AM

Just restrung the X-20 with some Martin lights and woah! Really brightened it up from whatever was on it (I assume it was the strings that shipped from Emerald, but old).

Have my first acoustic gig with it coming up Thursday, so I'm looking forward to how it'll do there. I suspect just fine.

Definitely has become my favorite guitar. Even though one of my drummers pointed out that the veneer kind of looks like the torsos of two middle-aged naked, flaccid, and uncircumcised dudes facing each other and now I can't unsee it, lol. Looks less like that when it's turned sideways as I play it, at least.

-T
Old 10-31-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, gang! I'm kind of in love with the thing. Spent a couple hours with it when it got here on Weds—definitely has more low end than my CA OX but is still really comfy despite the deeper body.

Then I spent last night in a session at the studio with the writing partner in one of my projects. He thought it was superior to the OX, too. And what a fun session. Look forward to taking it out for a live acoustic gig we have at the end of the month.

I'll keep the OX but it's going to quickly become my 2nd acoustic I think. Until I get the OM28v fixed, then it might drop to 3rd, lol.

Here's the X-20 at home on its stand.

-T

Todd, That's a Pretty Emerald X20--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber