The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2022, 05:38 AM

Default Fishman Sa 330x or upgrade to Ev30m?

I am currently using a Fishman SA 330x and have the mixer for it as well, and I love it, and was considering getting a second one for larger gigs or should I go to the EV 50m (but it has no phantom power ) ? is it worth the price for the Ev ? or just buy another Fishman to add for larger gigs and have one on each side of stage or deck ? I've heard lots of love towards the EV's , just also love my Fishman.. All input is appreciated

Last edited by barryd; 06-06-2022 at 07:19 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-06-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Love the sa330x when I've heard it.

Now, your headline says 30m and your post says 50m. Let's go with the 30m. A quick check of the specs has the 330x at a max of 113db, the 30m, 123db. That's a very big difference.

I don't know if that Fishman spec includes the sub, but I think we can safely say the 30m is louder.

Now I'm not an audio engineer but there's discussion here from time to time that adding another PA of the same type doesn't add as much volume as ya might think. If you have a wide deck or something it'll definitely fill a gap. Beyond that, unfortunately one of the best sources of such information, the Bose forum, was deactivated earlier this year. You can tantalizingly find the beginnings of commentary about the subject re two L1 Compacts versus a single L1 Model 2 or Model S via search, but the links don't work anymore.

So I hope others chime in. It depends partly on how much more you need and the specific spaces you're playing in. Oh, and the 30m/50m does have phantom power, but bizarrely just 15v which many here find inadequate.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:56 AM

Default Fishman Sa 330x or upgrade to Ev30m?

I think the big question for you should be whether or not you need more volume and coverage. If the Sa 330X is handling your gig sizes, it would be mostly a sideways move moving to the the 30M or 50M.

The 30M and 50M sound almost identical at the volumes the 30M can handle. I have both, but only plan on using the 50M at the largest outdoor spaces. The 30M can handle most gigs, is smaller, and the sound is very close. There is little advantage to carrying the extra weight when you don’t need it.

For a larger band, the digital connection which doubles the 50M channels with two can be very important. The way I look at it, you are unlikely to use a band with the types of gigs a 30M can handle, but quite likely to have more players on the types of gigs a 50M can handle. I think it was a reasonable decision on EV’s part to only include this feature on the larger model.

The 15v phantom power from the EV Evolve series is enough to handle small handheld phantom powered mics like the Shure Beta 87A. It is also enough to power my Tech21 Sansamp Para DI. It isn’t enough for a LDC like an EarTrumpetLabs Myrtle. The dispersion is a bit too wide with a column array to use a mic like that anyway though. Check with what you need the phantom power for. It might be enough. If it isn’t, you can always use an external phantom power supply.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I think the big question for you should be whether or not you need more volume and coverage.
A very useful post.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:50 PM

Well I decided to step up from the fishman 330 to the EV evolve 30m , also picked up a JHS reverb pedal .. now time off get it all set up I’m anxious to sept how it sounds and I should be Able to hand bigger gigs with this EV
Old 06-28-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Well I decided to step up from the fishman 330 to the EV evolve 30m , also picked up a JHS reverb pedal .. now time off get it all set up I’m anxious to sept how it sounds and I should be Able to hand bigger gigs with this EV
Congrats, report back!
Old 06-29-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I think you'll be very pleased. We have had our 30M for several weeks and although we have yet to gig with it, I've used it for practice every chance we get and each and every time we do, we both marvel at the excellent tone. We've got at least three gigs coming up in July that we'll use it for. Very excited to see (hear) how those go. I've got a thread in this sub that I'll update after I've used it live.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:57 PM

Oh man. I now have a 330x, 30M, K8.2, and Bose S1 Pro.

I have really enjoyed the 330x. It has been a great workhorse for me. However, I did have to send it in for repairs a couple months ago. One of the channels died at a gig. I used to have that issue with the SA220's I'd owned before. The upgraded "closed pots" on the 330x board were supposed to take care of that. So I'm not sure what happened. Sweetwater and Fishman were great about getting it taken care of though.

While it was out for repair I was gigging the K8.2 and a Yamaha mixer. Great sound of course, but after using the 330x for so long, I wanted the simple set up of an all in one again. So, I bought the EV30m and Bose S1pro. I intended to send one back and ended up keeping both.

The EV30M is great so far. I don't like the weight of the sub or the thick weird shaped handle on it, but aside from that it's great. Sounds great and is easy to use.

Between the 330x and the 30m, I suppose the 30M (even though it's heavy) is the more streamlined choice since it comes with everything (sub and extra mixer channels).

I'm thinking of selling the K8.2. I'm waiting for an opportunity to gig the 30M outdoors. If it shines, I will let the K8.2 go. I really don't want to do it. It's one of the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. But, simplicity wins every-time for me.

These all in one systems have made my job so much easier.

If anyone is wondering, I very much prefer the 330x over the S1 in sound quality for guitar/vocals. But the S1 has its uses. I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the weird "Bose sound" thing. Meaning, it NEVER seems loud enough to me when I gig with it, but everyone in the audience says it sounds great.

I even went to hear another solo performer last Sunday in Pittsburgh. He was using the S1. I deliberately sat as far away as I could from the guy. Other side of the bar. I heard his guitar and vocals just fine. It was oddly quiet and loud enough at the same time. Bizarre.

I want to love the S1, but I'm still warming up to it. Of all the units mentioned, the SA330X remains my favorite (overall). But I've lost my trust in taking it out without a backup now that it died on me at a packed gig. In hindsight, I could've saved a lot of $ if I'd just taken the Yamaha mixer out and ran it into the back of the 330x. But then, there goes the simplicity factor again. So yea.

Ultimately, the EV30 is a great system. That's why I kept it. I've been gigging it regularly and I'm just waiting for the chance to use it outside for a nice crowd. I want to PUSH that thing. If it does what I think it will, I'll sigh, and let the K8.2 go.

I consider myself to be very minimalist. However,,,
I currently have four really nice PA systems. I must be crazy.

That's my 50 cents worth.

Last edited by JPH; 07-07-2022 at 09:10 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 07-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

^^^
Great info comparing several systems. I’ve been really pleased with my 50M—fast setup, great sound, and it’s covered all of my solo gigs—indoors and out so far. I have the rolling cart so the weight is no big deal—I only have to lift it in and out of my car, and I can pile stuff on it to roll in. If I had to maneuver lots of stairs that might be a different story! I too have an S1, but I still take out the Evolve on quiet gigs as it sounds so full. I sold my K10.2.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post

I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the weird "Bose sound" thing. Meaning, it NEVER seems loud enough to me when I gig with it, but everyone in the audience says it sounds great.

I even went to hear another solo performer last Sunday in Pittsburgh. He was using the S1. I deliberately sat as far away as I could from the guy. Other side of the bar. I heard his guitar and vocals just fine. It was oddly quiet and loud enough at the same time. Bizarre.

I just went through this Tuesday night.

I have a thread (How Far Would You Go) where I was worried about the quality of a house p.a. I'd never seen, and the ability of my L1-Compact to cover a room.

The L1-Compact not only covered the room, it was barely 1/2 way up and covered it quite well, I was able to walk around and listen to the opening act for over an hour in total amazement.

I too own the S1-Pro and it'll do things you'd never expect as well.

While it's becoming more and more fashionable to dis on the older Bose units as more and more companies pile on products, I'm a huge fan.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-11-2022, 08:07 AM

IMO the EV 30M sounds waaaaay better than any Fishstick I've heard. The Fishmans always sounded tinny to me with a lack of fullness and bass.

Yes the 30Ms sub is a little heavy and awkward to carry long distances. Do what I did...get yourself a folding hand truck they sell at Home Depot for $25 and that problem is solved.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
^^^
Great info comparing several systems. I’ve been really pleased with my 50M—fast setup, great sound, and it’s covered all of my solo gigs—indoors and out so far. I have the rolling cart so the weight is no big deal—I only have to lift it in and out of my car, and I can pile stuff on it to roll in. If I had to maneuver lots of stairs that might be a different story! I too have an S1, but I still take out the Evolve on quiet gigs as it sounds so full. I sold my K10.2.
Cool. Good to know. I'm still teetering on selling the K8.2. Of all the systems I mentioned earlier, the K8.2 gets the least use. It sounds fantastic, but the all in one systems have been such a game changer that even setting up just one speaker on a pole + the external mixer seems like far too many steps these days. Haha. I have a cart too. Stairs are my only gripe concerning the 30M.

Thank you for sharing that you sold the K10.2. Helps to know, and is reassuring about the EV30M/50M systems for outdoor use.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Stairs are my only gripe concerning the 30M.
Do what I do....tip one of the young kids working there $5 to carry it up the stairs for you.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:06 PM

The 30M is an absolute nightmare because everyone you know will want to borrow it.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I very recently had the opportunity to A/B/C/D four Array systems - the JBL MkII, the Bose L1Pro8, the Evolve 30M, and the Harbinger whatever-it-was (couldn't' get it to boot up, so...).

Took my Gibson J35 in and played for about 2 hours, alternating back and forth with both strumming/flatpicking and fingerstyle. At the end of the day, the Evolve and Bose sounded the best, but I liked the Evolve 30M better. Seemed like the Boses was warmer, more like a high-quality home stereo, while the EV30m was more PA-like (but also very warm with the presets). Also eq is good, and it also has an app for bluetooth sound shaping from the audience perspective.

Besides, I already have an S1Pro - and with the right preamp it is a very nice room-and-smaller-venue filler.

I didn't try a Yamaha because I can't seem to find one to try out. But I think the 30M will surprise you.

As usual, ymmv.

Last edited by brancher; 07-27-2022 at 07:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification