The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-18-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
lagniappe
Cool word! Makes me proud! I'll throw another apparently common expression out in this note to see if anyone runs with it. I actually didn't know about it until one of my students used it on me recently.

I'm in discussions with Emerald about something at the moment. They aim to please is about all I can say. That's always refreshing to see in this world.

Cui Bono? Emerald of course. Can't do business if your business model makes you starve. That's not all though. It also benefits us. And not just Emerald owners. Their improvements to the guitar has ripples that will affect how others improve their guitars too. I'm glad that I have been a part of it, and I hope to go to their showroom again someday soon to pick up or pick out another guitar.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I wondered when we'd see the "Emerald, Emerald, Emerald" (referencing: Marsha, Marsha, Marsha from the Brady Bunch) posts again... there have been a good number of Emerald posts lately. It is only on this Carbon Fiber sub-forum that these guitars are generally discussed. In the whole of AGF, the carbon fiber forum is just one of many.

Plenty of us here own wood guitars, but they aren't discussed here that often because (duh) they are wood. Oh sure, there are the endless "Which carbon fiber guitar sounds most like wood?" questions that get asked here, which is kinda pointless, because... well, there are a LOT of different wood guitars and they all sound different from each other.

When I first started participating here, it seemed like there was a lot of RainSong discussion. It was the Emerald posts that got me interested in learning more about them... also around the time Emerald changed their business model and started selling direct instead of using dealers.

There were plenty of posts where people thought that was a very bad idea. I bought my first Emerald when "the mug" was just appearing in the box along with a guitar - I thought it was a neat "bonus" (lagniappe). Now, it has come to be expected.

I don't stroll down to my local guitar shop and check out the latest carbon fiber offerings... well, mostly because I don't have a local guitar shop. I have to drive 45 minutes to buy a set of strings. When I first started looking around for carbon fiber in our travels, any shop with even one carbon fiber guitar was a rarity. I had to explain what carbon fiber was to more than one Guitar Center employee. All that to say: "I don't really need a carbon fiber guitar dealer - buying direct from the people who know these guitars better than anyone else works fine for me."

Oh sure, I used to be a "have to try it before I buy it" kinda guy, but the last 12 years or so, my guitar purchases have been online or by phone. And that works fine when buying direct.

To make this TL/DR post even longer: there are some nice carbon fiber guitars being made these days. I would venture that the biggest share of CF are from RainSong, Emerald, McPherson, and Journey (Blackbird has switched over to ekoa). And you aren't going to find any of those in the majority of guitar shops out there. Further postulating: Journey has found their niche, with the detachable neck, off-shore build, keeping the price reasonably low. RainSong makes guitars out of carbon fiber that have the same traditional shape of other acoustic guitars, just a different material. Who among us hasn't thought, "Oh, look, RainSong made a Martin copy with their Nashville line? I bought that first Shorty because it closely resembled the dimensions and style of a Taylor Grand Concert. McPherson CF guitars look very similar to their wood guitars, again a different material, similar shape. But, Emerald makes guitars that don't look like anything else in the acoustic guitar world... you don't have to look at the logo on the headstock to know that's an Emerald. Oh, and those gorgeous veneers - those really make the guitar look like a one-of-a-kind.

Those who have played out with an Emerald have no doubt gotten more questions (generally from other guitar players ) than with any other traditional-looking guitar.

On more than one occasion, I have said here, "That first Emerald changed how I make future guitar selections." Oh, I get it: some don't find much difference with the Emerald ergonomics. For me, these are the most comfortable acoustic guitars I own. And the important part: my ears really like the sound I get from my Emeralds. You may see where I'm going here... because they aren't "more of the same," I think Emerald guitars generate more enthusiasm with their owners. I am not saying I like my Emerald more than you like your RainSong (or insert your favorite here); I am saying that perhaps Emerald styling and sound attracts the type of person who wants something unique... and people are curious about that vibe. It shows up here on the forum with more New Guitar Day posts and more questions about the guitars.

So, contrary to what some think: this isn't the Emerald forum. If you want more RainSong posts, make more RainSong posts. Same with the other brands. I enjoy seeing what others have to say about their guitars. I know I've seen posts where someone, when asked about posting photos of their new guitar, says, "Well, it looks like every other Sable... or Journey... or every other RainSong OM." Not the same enthusiasm as when a new Emerald shows up at someone's house... and it has a gorgeous veneer... or a Vibrant Weave... or (Gasp!) a Virtuo that has a slim body, electric pickups on the top, and controls on the top!

Heck, go to the wood section of this AGF and you still have people thinking those three little wooden knobs on the side of the upper bout of that upstart Taylor (started in 1974) have "ruined the aesthetics" of the guitar.

Emerald continues to challenge us to consider what an acoustic guitar can be. It's why we see the Emerald interest here. But, looking at Emerald's weekly shipping videos (what a smart marketing idea!), the vast majority of guitars they are selling are not going to participants here. I'd guess it would be the same with sales from the other CF brands. This sub-forum is a great place for carbon fiber guitar enthusiasts, but there are plenty of other CF players who don't know this exists.

Show some enthusiasm for your carbon fiber guitar(s), regardless of the maker. Sorry for getting so wordy... it's my enthusiasm.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 11-18-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Of course that's true, but my point was to share things that I've learned and not to restate the obvious, Emerald has no dealers. One could use the same no dealers concern about pretty much any boutique builder. Try finding a shop that has a selection of Rockbridge or Henderson guitars...
Henderson Guitars..never heard of them, and then i met his daughter at lunch, ended up back at his house...pbs was making a video while i was there. i got a complete tour of everything, including the safe room! thanks from bringing back that memory.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Henderson Guitars..never heard of them, and then i met his daughter at lunch, ended up back at his house...pbs was making a video while i was there. i got a complete tour of everything, including the safe room! thanks from bringing back that memory.
You can also read Clapton's Guitar for a different perspective on Wayne Henderson...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-20-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
You can also read Clapton's Guitar for a different perspective on Wayne Henderson...
the perspective i have of him now is that he is a super nice guy and a huge collector. i don't want o ruin that! haha
Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry for getting so wordy... it's my enthusiasm.

I did not find your post too wordy. You used paragraphs so it was very readable.

I agree with most of what you say. Nevertheless I would still like to play a guitar before I buy it.

We only have other peoples word that all X-30s, X-20, X-10s sound the same. It would also be nice to hear what each model sounds like with different bridges. Perhaps there is a different between individual guitars when played in the same sitting.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 11-20-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Heck, go to the wood section of this AGF and you still have people thinking those three little wooden knobs on the side of the upper bout of that upstart Taylor (started in 1974) have "ruined the aesthetics" of the guitar.
Well, they do. Which is why I bought a GA3-12 instead of a 354.

Although if I am reaching for a 12-string these days, 9 out of 10 times it's the Rainsong.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-19-2022, 09:37 PM

Double posted. Oops.

Last edited by Batmitestar; 09-20-2022 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Oops
Old 09-19-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmitestar View Post
2. Paying the extra $100 for "Courier Shipping" is well worth it.

5. It's possible to get hit with Customs Fees upon delivery of your Emerald.

Thanks for the great post. Can you elaborate on 2 and 5, please? I'm ready to pull the trigger and curious about those things.

Last edited by Batmitestar; 09-20-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmitestar View Post
Thanks for the great post. Can you elaborate on 2 and 5, please? I'm ready to pull the trigger and curious about those things.
2 - Emerald offers two shipping methods. Standard (to the US) can take 2-4 weeks, and offers limited (or no) tracking; Courier (again to the US) costs around $100 more, takes, on average, about 7 days, and has full tracking. Well worth the extra cost, IMO. There used to be a detailed FAQ about this on their website, but it’s now a bit sparse.

5 - You should not be charged any import duties, custom fees, or anything else on an Emerald guitar shipped to the US. A small number of folks have been unfortunate enough to get hit with a variety of fees, and, as best I can tell, it’s always been through some local misinterpretation of the rules. Some have been successful in having them reversed, but if it does happen, it’s not Emerald’s fault - they ship with all the necessary supporting documentation. They have been known to help out in some case, though - which says a lot for them, as they’re under no obligation.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-23-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Hi David,

why should importing an Emerald guitar be free of import duties?

Greets, Lars
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 09-23-2022, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsLars View Post
Hi David,

Greets, Lars
I believe that there is some kind of agreement between the USA and Ireland in this regard. I don't know for sure, and maybe someone else does.

I do know that I have not been charged any kind of tax or duty on any of my three Emeralds, and the vast majority of customers in the USA have had the same experience.

I can't speak for other parts of the world, but I'm always a little surprised when I discover something that our government has managed to avoid taxing
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-24-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsLars View Post
Hi David,

Greets, Lars
Hi Lars, I notice that you are in Germany. EU countries have a similar kind of deal. We don't pay import duties for orders from Ireland but VAT (Mehrwertsteuer) does apply, which should be charged by the seller.

That being said, I don't think Emerald has ever charged VAT for any of my orders.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-24-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I believe that there is some kind of agreement between the USA and Ireland in this regard. I don't know for sure, and maybe someone else does.
Interesting, I never heard about that before.
Thanks! :-)

Bye, Lars
Takamine TAN77
Old 09-24-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Hi Lars, I notice that you are in Germany. EU countries have a similar kind of deal. We don't pay import duties for orders from Ireland but VAT (Mehrwertsteuer) does apply, which should be charged by the seller.
Yes, I‘m aware of that. I was specifically interested in the Ireland -> US thing. Thanks anyway ;-)

Bye, Lars
Takamine TAN77

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber