The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Are you a Baby Boomer?
Yes, I am. 153 81.82%
No, I’m not. 31 16.58%
I don’t care to discuss it. 3 1.60%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 AM

Those of you who resonate with this discussion might want to dig up the 1992 classic book, "Generations" by Neil Howe and William Strauss. This is the book that coined many of the terms currently used to describe the various generations, and introduced the idea that generations have certain characteristics and personalities that resonate and repeat over time.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 AM

I was born in the summer of 69, so I’m Gen X. My mom was born in 1940 so while she came of age in the 1950s my grandparents raised her elder siblings during the Depression. She raised me to be conservative; by that I mean that to this day the “sell by date” just means that’s the day uneaten food goes into the freezer. 😉
Old 05-08-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Another 1951 boomer here. We made our skateboards out of plywood and roller skates, stayed outside from just after breakfast until dinner time in the summer, and yes, Dad served in the South Pacific until the occupation of Japan.

During the 50's the Ozzie and Harriet Show probably started my fascination with guitars. I wouldn't miss that show and anxiously waited for the end when Ricky played a song on that Martin Guitar. Oh how I wanted one...
Old 05-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post

During the 50's the Ozzie and Harriet Show probably started my fascination with guitars. I wouldn't miss that show and anxiously waited for the end when Ricky played a song on that Martin Guitar. Oh how I wanted one...
That kid named Burton who played the tele in that band was pretty good, too.

It’s fair to say that anyone who remembers where they were 22 November 63 is a boomer. Conversely, if you remember 7 December 1941, you ain’t.

My dad served in the infantry in France and was in the group who “liberated” Paris. My uncle Mel was stationed in North Africa. My uncle Rom was a navigator in the Air Corp and survived being hit by shrapnel on a mission. The GI bill funded two doctoral degrees in my family—my dad’s and my Uncle Mel’s.

Gotta say that the GI bill radically changed America. Boomers were taught by folks who went to uni with significant governmental assistance. Prior to that time, university profs were typically from the upper class.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

Last edited by Jim Owen; 05-08-2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Brain cramp
Old 05-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
It’s fair to say that anyone who remembers where they were 23 November 63 is a boomer. Conversely, if you remember 7 December 1941, you ain’t.
I believe you mean 22 November, 1963. I remember it only very vaguely. Everyone in my house seemed very upset and the TV was on all day. I was 4 and I remember it, but it's one of those almost dreamlike, spacey memories. Too young to even begin to understand the gravity...

-Ray
Old 05-08-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I believe you mean 22 November, 1963. I remember it only very vaguely. Everyone in my house seemed very upset and the TV was on all day. I was 4 and I remember it, but it's one of those almost dreamlike, spacey memories. Too young to even begin to understand the gravity...

-Ray
I remember it well. I was in Grade 8 and we had a serious discussion on whether them Russkies were going to take advantage of the chaos and attack. We lived beside a building with an air raid siren on it. When it went off I nearly pooped my pants.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 05-08-2021, 12:55 PM

Born in 1946. I was conceived in San Diego where my Dad was a Navy nurse taking care of the wounded coming off the ships from the Pacific and my mother was a Rosie the Riveter. I wanted two things - a horse and a guitar. Times were tough and I got neither. Have the guitars now, but no horse. You can't fall off a guitar.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

A ‘56 model here. I’m so happy to be in the middle of the boomer generation with memories of all that’s been mentioned. I’m so thankful for...where I was born and the places I’ve lived, who I’ve married and kids I’ve raised, what I’ve worked at, things I’ve built, the personal experiences and vast range of transformational cultural changes and world events I’ve witnessed and remember, whether good, bad or otherwise, all the music I’ve heard, learning to play the guitar and my songwriting influenced by the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s...and the nostalgia that endures as I age through the brief period of time I have been lucky enough to be on this planet. I consider myself blessed and am full of gratitude.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post

-Ray
Yep. I’ll edit. Brain cramp

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 05-08-2021, 02:25 PM

'57 model here. Being a Navy brat, I lived on base until I was about 15. Heck, I thought civilians were just out of uniform!

I also remember playing outside every day and woe to me when I was so far away I couldn't hear my Mom calling me in as it got dark, especially if my Dad was the one who came looking for me.

FWIW, even though I was born in 1957 (which seems to make me a Jones Generation according to some but I identify as a Boomer nonetheless), my Dad did serve in WWll, along with Korea and Vietnam. His Naval career spanned 30 years and a couple months.

I figured that was enough for the both of us.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-08-2021, 02:54 PM

Yes, technically a boomer (1964) but I agree with a lot of what has been posted, the last few years of the boomers had a slightly different experience, although our upbringing was similar.
But one stark difference I've noticed reading these is dependent on what country you were raised in. Viet Nam is very prominent for some, but was not a factor for boomers in my country.

I am grateful I grew up in the era that did.
Epiphone Dot
Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Given the shared cultural references given by many people on this forum, it seems as though a substantial proportion of us fit the description of “baby boomers”: our fathers were the age to have fought in WWII or Korea, we were born in the second half of the 1940’s, the 1950’s or early 60’s, and we’re mostly old enough to remember when the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan Show.

Does this description match you?

Just curious....

Wade Hampton “Yes, I Qualify” Miller
I've never checked into who comes up with these generation charts, but it is an interesting concept. If I were doing it you can bet it would look a whole lot different and have different titles.
Anyway, I am a "Baby Boomer" and don't know completely why, but I would rather live in the 50s than any other age I have seen so far.
Things were SO much different then in a good way.
And where I lived as a child people were kind to every one, there was no class division and no educational frumpiness that I ever saw - not until the 60s anyway. The feel back then, in the 50s, was epic and classic Americana, IMHO.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-09-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:01 PM

I was born in 1955 to hard working parents whose greatest gift to me was their work ethic and never quit determination to succeed no matter what life throws at you.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:16 PM

Born 1950. So yeah...boomer all the way.
I always seem to be in the middle of everything. Including last century.
Born in the middle of Texas, too (Waco).
As others have mentioned, things were different.
Down here in almost-year-round-heat country, we had fans but no air conditioning in our family home until I was 13 or 14. No AC in any school I went to, either...grades 1-12.
Play outside pretty much round-the-clock? Yep.
Lotsa kids to play with? Yep.
Sandlot baseball? Yep (elementary school was 1-1/2 blocks from my house, so 4 dirt & grass baseball fields laid out and available all summer long...later they paved the whole darn thing!).
Recall Ed Sullivan appearances of Elvis...the Beatles...etc.? Yep.
Also, duck & cover bomb drills, air raid sirens, and later participation in the first draft lottery (1969)? Yep. (My number was 88.)
Not all boomer experiences were idyllic. Just sayin'...

Dirk
Old 05-08-2021, 05:30 PM

Born in October of 63, so I just snuck in under the wire.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic