The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Yamaha doesn't appear to be very interested in selling their higher end guitars in North America.
Perhaps they realize that they would have a hard time competing with our high end USA built guitars.

How many of us would spend over $3,000.00 for a Yamaha when you can get a Martin, Guild, or Taylor for that kind of money.

I am one that does appreciate the quality of the high end Yamaha guitars but I also know how low resale is here in the states for one of them.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Yamaha doesn't appear to be very interested in selling their higher end guitars in North America.
Perhaps they realize that they would have a hard time competing with our high end USA built guitars.

How many of us would spend over $3,000.00 for a Yamaha when you can get a Martin, Guild, or Taylor for that kind of money.

I am one that does appreciate the quality of the high end Yamaha guitars but I also know how low resale is here in the states for one of them.
Yes, because demand for them is low...because the masses have no reason to know due to their unavailability...Then there is the natural Americana aspect of things which is undeniable in any conversation...No non-US brand can deal with that reality, despite a larger presence in the market...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Please do.

I gather you purchased this used, and you are in the states?
It's new, and I do live in the states. Sweetwater had this one. They show the 56 but not in stock. I would think they are a high volume dealer in the brand, so maybe they are taking a chance on these upper end models.
d
Old 11-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...How many of us would spend over $3,000.00 for a Yamaha when you can get a Martin, Guild, or Taylor for that kind of money...
Exactly the point I was trying to make previously, and it has nothing to do with the true quality/tone/playability of upper end Yamaha acoustics. It has to do with perceived value and possible later resale...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
It's new, and I do live in the states. Sweetwater had this one. They show the 56 but not in stock. I would think they are a high volume dealer in the brand, so maybe they are taking a chance on these upper end models.
d
Yup, they do bring them in not built to order (as you clearly know)...and they do definitely sell...A few months back they had both an LL36 and LL56 in stock and ready to ship...Now they are both showing more on the way, with the 36 arriving very soon...I have never directly watched the status of their LS series on Sweetwater...I almost bought from Sweetwater when they had them in stock, and then I thought better of it for cross border reasons, potential warranty handling issues etc...

Cool. Post up your thoughts for sure. I for one would love to hear them, and I know many others on here would as well. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what made you "take the chance" with that level of money and not go the standard American Gibson/Taylor/Martin route...What was the thought process in your head, the factors, reasoning, etc...?

I'm always curious, because I am well aware that people like us are bucking the trend.

Also, without talking exact numbers, were you able to get your LS36 for less than Sweetwater's advertised price of 2800 US?

Here in Canada there is typically zero negotiation to be had on these higher end Yammies...Special order, and you pay the price 3500 CND for a 36 level and 5000 CND for a 56 level. I only managed to get a substantial discount on a 56 directly from Yamaha Canada due to the fact that they botched my 36 order after my waiting 5 months for it.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 11-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make previously, and it has nothing to do with the true quality/tone/playability of upper end Yamaha acoustics. It has to do with perceived value and possible later resale...
Hard to argue with those realities depending on one's goals...you are not wrong...A tremendously important factor for a GASer that changes guitars like girlfriends at 16 years old . Which is more than the average around here from what I can tell, the norm, etc...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 11-17-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I think it actually has more to do with the level of output they are capable of doing at their custom shop in Japan at this time. It is literally old school construction and tooling, unlikely their more mass produced offerings coming out of China. It is extremely low volume, and their priority is the Asian market.

Then behind this there probably is some of what you are saying. Even if they did have a volume they could flood into the US there is no doubt it would take some time to make some real inroads against the likes of the big 3 and all that....yup...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:

But L20A...

People are willing to spend 3k and way way more for Lowden, as an example.

You have personally seen John Denver's L-53 up close and in person, so you mean to tell me that folks here in the US would not be interested in that level of instrument quality out of Yamaha, even at high high prices like Lowden gets for some of their 50 series custom instruments?, or Martin for their D-41/42/45 series instruments...or Santa Cruz, or Bourgeois, or Collings, to name a few, who also build at that upper end price/quality level?

Yamaha's build and wood quality is second to none at every price level they build and sell in.

Really...again...I think it is mostly that Yamaha just does not really care all that much about the US high end market. They make very limited production numbers, and do a lot of custom order work, but they can sell all that they can build right there at home in the Asian market, and now with China opening up in a big way for the consumer guitar market, Yamaha has more than enough demand in the Orient to keep them very busy.

It is definitely too bad for us though...they make some amazing instruments at the high end.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 11-17-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add content
Old 11-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
But L20A...

People are willing to spend 3k and way way more for Lowden, as an example.

You have personally seen John Denver's L-53 up close and in person, so you mean to tell me that folks here in the US would not be interested in that level of instrument quality out of Yamaha, even at high high prices like Lowden gets for some of their 50 series custom instruments?, or Martin for their D-41/42/45 series instruments...or Santa Cruz, or Bourgeois, or Collings, to name a few, who also build at that upper end price/quality level?

Yamaha's build and wood quality is second to none at every price level they build and sell in.

Really...again...I think it is mostly that Yamaha just does not really care all that much about the US high end market. They make very limited production numbers, and do a lot of custom order work, but they can sell all that they can build right there at home in the Asian market, and now with China opening up in a big way for the consumer guitar market, Yamaha has more than enough demand in the Orient to keep them very busy.

It is definitely too bad for us though...they make some amazing instruments at the high end.

duff
I wish I could remember who on here told me that they had some reasonably accurate info saying that Yamaha was looking to raise their custom shop output. It is probably someone here in this thread, I just can't remember.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM

I once got a LS16 ARE : Great ! But I came to find her cristal clear sound boring.
Tried a LL-16 ARE : did not sound as great as the LS.
Tried a LL-26 : Sounded quite good but much expensive !

I read the 06 and 16 are made in China while 26 and 36 are made in Japan.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup, they do bring them in not built to order (as you clearly know)...and they do definitely sell...A few months back they had both and LL36 and LL56 in stock and ready to ship...Now they are both showing more on the way, with the 36 arriving very soon...I have never directly watched the status of their LS series on Sweetwater...I almost bought from Sweetwater when they had them in stock, and then I thought better of it for cross border reasons, potential warranty handling issues etc...

Cool. Post up your thoughts for sure. I for one would love to hear them, and I know many others on here would as well. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what made you "take the chance" with that level of money and not go the standard American Gibson/Taylor/Martin route...What was the thought process in your head, the factors, reasoning, etc...?

I'm always curious, because I am well aware that people like us are bucking the trend.

Also, without talking exact numbers, were you able to get your LS36 for less than Sweetwater's advertised price of 2800 US?

Here in Canada there is typically zero negotiation to be had on these higher end Yammies...Special order, and you pay the price 3500 CND for a 36 level and 5000 CND for a 56 level. I only managed to get a substantial discount on a 56 directly from Yamaha Canada due to the fact that they botched my 36 order after my waiting 5 months for it.

Cheers
Yes, less than the posted cost. I've purchased Taylors, Martins, and other gear from Sweetwater thru the years. My sales engineer there knows me well, and works with me on purchases. There are no instrument shops within hours of where I live that carry what I prefer, so SW gets my business. I've never been displeased with the service or price, and if there's any issue, they take care of it quickly. Ex, I purchased 2 Taylor 12e and a bose s1pro for 2 young ladies in our worship team, the bose did not sound clear, and it should as I own one. They shipped another out immediately and sent a return label for the other, no charge. Things like that. Plus they carry a lot of brands and models.
I have heard these upper end Yamaha played for years by a few artists that fly under the radar, in fact I attempted to get one 10 yrs ago but could not. I primarily play fingerstyle in dropped tunings and I prefer a balanced overall string set. I hear that in these Yamaha 36/56 models. I like a modern tone as well. Things i have encountered in the past are bass heavy/not enough bass/too many overtones/ too strident of a tone, etc. Don't get me wrong, I've played some excellent guitars in all the brands I listed, but I'm looking for something different and I'm hoping the Yamaha delivers. Attempting to get that one for retirement and just play. Stop the in and out, although I have slowed the guitar buying/selling years ago. Now it's mandolins, and that's even more nuts, but I'm set there as well now. Oh yea, tried Lakewoods but found the fretboard radius to just not work for my hands.
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 11-17-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, less than the posted cost. I've purchased Taylors, Martins, and other gear from Sweetwater thru the years. My sales engineer there knows me well, and works with me on purchases. There are no instrument shops within hours of where I live that carry what I prefer, so SW gets my business. I've never been displeased with the service or price, and if there's any issue, they take care of it quickly. Ex, I purchased 2 Taylor 12e and a bose s1pro for 2 young ladies in our worship team, the bose did not sound clear, and it should as I own one. They shipped another out immediately and sent a return label for the other, no charge. Things like that. Plus they carry a lot of brands and models.
I have heard these upper end Yamaha played for years by a few artists that fly under the radar, in fact I attempted to get one 10 yrs ago but could not. I primarily play fingerstyle in dropped tunings and I prefer a balanced overall string set. I hear that in these Yamaha 36/56 models. I like a modern tone as well. I don't care for the v class Taylor tone, and many times the X braced Taylor is too strident and not balanced with the bass, it's a hit/miss buying older instruments from people and shipping these in. I prefer a 15 or 16 fretboard radius, and not a bass heavy Balance as in martin, and Goodall just has too many overtones for my preferences. Don't get me wrong, I've played some excellent guitars in all the brands I listed, but I'm looking for something different and I'm hoping the Yamaha delivers. Attempting to get that one for retirement and just play. Stop the in and out, although I have slowed the guitar buying/selling years ago. Now it's mandolins, and that's even more nuts, but I'm set there as well now.
d
Right on man. I suspect you are going to be thrilled. So when is it supposed to arrive?

This is an LJ, but just listen to this thing...my god it sounds good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITedf3wbFs
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right on man. I suspect you are going to be thrilled. So when is it supposed to arrive?

due to arrive tomorrow. i've watched that video, it does sound very balanced, and i like the shape. you can see the man is not fighting the guitar, and there is a resonance over the entire fretboard-oh yea, another thing is when capo'd up to 4 or 5, the soundclips i've heard in the 36/56 sound very good. many guitars fall out when thats done, the 36/56 seem to keep the tone and resonance. the other yamaha models may do the same, i've only been researching the 36/56.

something i forgot to mention, i've never purchased anything musical with the thought of resale value. if i like what i hear and want to try that(one never knows when the magic will be there, and what if you missed something amazing worried about something that may never happen-resale), and i have the $, i'll take a chance. these last few years i do make sure i have a return option, i would never buy anything without that.

fingers crossed, will let you know what i think in a day or two
d
Old 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
due to arrive tomorrow. i've watched that video, it does sound very balanced, and i like the shape. you can see the man is not fighting the guitar, and there is a resonance over the entire fretboard-oh yea, another thing is when capo'd up to 4 or 5, the soundclips i've heard in the 36/56 sound very good. many guitars fall out when thats done, the 36/56 seem to keep the tone and resonance. the other yamaha models may do the same, i've only been researching the 36/56.

fingers crossed, will let you know what i think in a day or two
d
Good luck! I don't think you will need it. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you. As happy as I am for you, it's gonna kill me...lol...I am so pumped to get that 56 in my hands 8 months from now...I should have my RainSong in my hands not too long from now to help bridge the pain gap ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Yeppers...Yamaha makes great sounding guitars in the modern voicing style these days.

That man is a regular player...perhaps an employee or management of Dolphin Guitars, and he is a really really fine player. He does most of their playing videos and he does a terrific job!

Notice his right hand position in this video. This one "thing" would really help a vast majority of players to simply and easily get better tone/timbre out of their own guitars and playing.

duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion