The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Contrary to most AGF opinions on strings

Seems like most players like strings to settle down for a few days to take the bright edge off.
I am the opposite, I like the new strings bright edge and like strings to keep the bright/ brash edge as long as possible! So if anyone suggests a string that takes a longer time to "to settle down"
Let me know.

Last edited by rgregg48; 11-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Have you ever tried the GHS Bright Bronze or their Signature Bronze strings? I find that they have the edge you might be looking for and when I used them found that they kept their edge longer than some regular PB strings. The Bright Bronze are 80/20s and the Signature Bronze are PBs that are brighter than their regular PBs.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-13-2019, 03:14 PM

I like that fresh string zing and sustain too.
D'Addario Nickel Bronze are good and Martin Titaniums were excellent ... but expensive!

But I think my favorite strings this year are DR Sunbeam round-cores.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Seems like most players like strings to settle down for a few days to take the bright edge off.
I am the opposite, I like the new strings bright edge and like strings to keep the bright/ brash edge as long as possible! So if anyone suggests a string that takes a longer time to "to be down"
Let me know.
Me too. Although I rarely change them before a performance they'll often go on the day before.

As long as they are "stretched" or pulled to settle, They don't tend to be a problem, and so I get that lovely "new" tone.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you. I love the sound of new strings and the accompanying zing that goes with them. Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and 80/20s have more of that than I seem to get from phosphor bronze. Problem is that they may not hold on as long.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I am the opposite, I like the new strings bright edge and like strings to keep the bright/ brash edge as long as possible! So if anyone suggests a string that takes a longer time to "to be down"

Let me know.

I love the sound and feel of new strings!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-13-2019, 04:04 PM

For me, D'Addario PBs sound new longer than most other PBs.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Elixer strings or I found Monels have a zing that lasts.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Elixer strings or I found Monels have a zing that lasts.
This is what I would say too.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:00 PM

I'm one of those who likes the sound of new strings...

But like them a little better after they've mellowed out a bit.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
For me, D'Addario PBs sound new longer than most other PBs.
I may have gotten a "bad" 3 pack. The first set died within a few hours of playing out. The second set died within two hours of playing.

The third set I've never opened, based upon the poor results of the previous two packs. That was about five years ago ... so ....? I should just give them away or maybe throw them in when (if) I sell a guitar.

It's sad because until then the "D"s had been my go-to brand of strings but I have not used any since then.

I also like the sound of new strings ... generally .. but some I think just sound too weird or raw or something. Yes, I'm looking right at you Martin Retros.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely. I want all of the brightness of Phosphorus Bronze...cause with that new string brightness comes all the harmonics & overtones.
And I love Harmonics and overtones with Rosewood bodies.
However, I did recently discover that on certain guitars, or certain tonewoods, a warmer, more broken in sound is better. For those guitars I do not use PB's, I use Newtone monels. And I will be experimenting with even more strings later.
As far as Long lasting...I think most strings loose the new brilliance at the 1 1/2 weeks, but still sound very good at the Two week mark. And some brands of strings even make it to the 3 and 4 week marks. Regardless...they still do not sound as good as they did at the 1 & 1/2 mark.
Newtone Masterclass Round core...hold their sound for my liking 3 to 4 weeks, depending on how much I play and humidity. But that first Week and a half...is the magic time.
Wash your hands every single time, before touching the guitar, and that will certainly help improve longevity.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I may have gotten a "bad" 3 pack. The first set died within a few hours of playing out. The second set died within two hours of playing.

The third set I've never opened, based upon the poor results of the previous two packs. That was about five years ago ... so ....? I should just give them away or maybe throw them in when (if) I sell a guitar.

It's sad because until then the "D"s had been my go-to brand of strings but I have not used any since then.
Why don't you write to D'Addario and tell them this? I betcha a dollar they'll replace them.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Let me know.
I am with you. I want that presence in a string. I hate dead strings... whether on acoustic or electric. I change strings before every gig.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Let me know.
Martin MA140 80/20 uncoated - these are light gauge 12-54. I had the custom light 11 version (MA175) 80/20s on one guitar and they remained extremely ‘zingy’ after 4 weeks and remained almost indestructible. I had to remove them eventually or else it would have resulted in thinking about selling the guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion