The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2015, 02:05 PM

I started out on dreads, as many do, strumming chords with a pick.

Over time, my playing gradually moved more and more towards finger picking to the point that I rarely have a pick in my hand any more.

As that has happened my preference in guitar body styles has gone towards the smaller end of the spectrum. I also discovered that I really like a 12-fret configuration.

My first custom made guitar (and likely my last) is a 000 12-fret with a slotted headstock and a nice, wide fingerboard. It's in Sitka and Mahogany and is very traditional in its dimensions.

The other guitar that I spend a lot of time with is an all Mahogany 14-fret 000.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi Royler,
I took a while to settle into a pattern--which I think means it took me a while to play well enough to know what fit me best.

After learning on my dad's Kay flattop I moved to an LG 2, which I liked but wasn't crazy about. A friend who was always guitar trading sold me his 55 000 18; that was my main guitar from 1973 to 2004, though during that time span I also had a Gurian and a Guild.

I bought a 96 J 50 around three years ago, and it has become my primary guitar. I still play a 000 a lot, depending on circumstances or mood.

I seem to like short-scale mahogany b/s guitars--but the J 50 must be the largest guitar I've owned in years. It's very comfortable, though, and blends in wonderfully with my duo partners' guitars.

The Gurian has a great sound solo. I have a Larrivee parlor with Koa B/S that I enjoy playing for myself on--I've only gigged with it a couple of times and never carried it on a jam.

When I first started playing the guitar, there was no interweb; there were no big music stores, so I wasn't exposed to as many choices as I have now. I was really lucky--my 000 18 turned out to be a great guitar for me and it was in my price range, for in those days, dreads ruled the world.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 AM

Started off playing EIR acoustics. Typically big.

Realized that I play with a heavy hand, and with a lot of notes, so having a smaller, less overtone-y suited me better. Moved to mahogany, smaller bodies.

Moved to fingerstyle recently. Played an old Martin 0-21. The Brazilian RW adds richness to the small body size without being ice-picky/too overtone-y.

At this point, I go with:
- Strummy: big mahogany bodies - my old D-18 and J-45. The volume of the guitar adds richness.
- Fingerstyle: small BRW bodies. The BRW adds richness to make the guitar sound a bit bigger.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 AM

With the exception of my classical guitars, I've always preferred dreadnoughts for my acoustics, both rosewood/spruce and mahogany/spruce. But that was in the days of "playing out" at Irish sessions and so on. Recently my needs have changed and I found, quite by accident, an all-hog 00015 SM which is perfect for me; exceptional for finger picking and not a bad strummer. But unlike my electrics, I can only justify one steel strung guitar at a time so I'm not so spoilt for choice as some of you guys, but I do find the 000 a great all-rounder.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Royler,
I took a while to settle into a pattern--which I think means it took me a while to play well enough to know what fit me best.

After learning on my dad's Kay flattop I moved to an LG 2, which I liked but wasn't crazy about. A friend who was always guitar trading sold me his 55 000 18; that was my main guitar from 1973 to 2004, though during that time span I also had a Gurian and a Guild.

I bought a 96 J 50 around three years ago, and it has become my primary guitar. I still play a 000 a lot, depending on circumstances or mood.

I seem to like short-scale mahogany b/s guitars--but the J 50 must be the largest guitar I've owned in years. It's very comfortable, though, and blends in wonderfully with my duo partners' guitars.

The Gurian has a great sound solo. I have a Larrivee parlor with Koa B/S that I enjoy playing for myself on--I've only gigged with it a couple of times and never carried it on a jam.

When I first started playing the guitar, there was no interweb; there were no big music stores, so I wasn't exposed to as many choices as I have now. I was really lucky--my 000 18 turned out to be a great guitar for me and it was in my price range, for in those days, dreads ruled the world.
Thanks Jim. The J-50 is a slope D right?

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
With the exception of my classical guitars, I've always preferred dreadnoughts for my acoustics, both rosewood/spruce and mahogany/spruce. But that was in the days of "playing out" at Irish sessions and so on. Recently my needs have changed and I found, quite by accident, an all-hog 00015 SM which is perfect for me; exceptional for finger picking and not a bad strummer. But unlike my electrics, I can only justify one steel strung guitar at a time so I'm not so spoilt for choice as some of you guys, but I do find the 000 a great all-rounder.
Yeah, my newest acquisition is solid Sapele and sounds simlar in tone to the 000-15M. It's my favorite right now.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Started off playing EIR acoustics. Typically big.

Realized that I play with a heavy hand, and with a lot of notes, so having a smaller, less overtone-y suited me better. Moved to mahogany, smaller bodies.

Moved to fingerstyle recently. Played an old Martin 0-21. The Brazilian RW adds richness to the small body size without being ice-picky/too overtone-y.

At this point, I go with:
- Strummy: big mahogany bodies - my old D-18 and J-45. The volume of the guitar adds richness.
- Fingerstyle: small BRW bodies. The BRW adds richness to make the guitar sound a bit bigger.
That makes perfect sense to me (although me and dreads don't get along). I played a 00 with Spruce over EIRW a few weeks ago and was astounded by the lushness of the bass.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-25-2015, 07:25 AM

Default guitar hegira

It has a lot to do with available money, as much as my progress as a musician. My first "good" guitar as a Martin 0018 ($275, brand new, cedar/mahogany) and I was happy with that until 10 years later when I visited the Martin factory and played on one they had there. Oh my!

So I looked for several months to get that sound and playability and ended up with a M38, for better or worse as that sound was long gone from my memory. That kept me satisfied for 20+ years until I moved and started playing regularly with others. The M38 was not loud enough for me to hear it. My income was increasing too, so I decided to go boutique and get fussier.

I ended up play a John Kinnaird guitar, did some research on him and wanted a custom order (for the same price as the used one from the store). But I'd also run across the Goodall. Decisions. I decided to get both - a HUGE step for me.

Since then, I've been on a search for unique sounds and unique woods. It's been loads of fun, expensive yes, but really not so much more than plenty of other hobbies. And when the time comes for my heirs to deal with it all, they'll be pleased that I chose guitars rather than echoes (referring to a Mark Twain story).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
It has a lot to do with available money, as much as my progress as a musician. My first "good" guitar as a Martin 0018 ($275, brand new, cedar/mahogany) and I was happy with that until 10 years later when I visited the Martin factory and played on one they had there. Oh my!

So I looked for several months to get that sound and playability and ended up with a M38, for better or worse as that sound was long gone from my memory. That kept me satisfied for 20+ years until I moved and started playing regularly with others. The M38 was not loud enough for me to hear it. My income was increasing too, so I decided to go boutique and get fussier.

I ended up play a John Kinnaird guitar, did some research on him and wanted a custom order (for the same price as the used one from the store). But I'd also run across the Goodall. Decisions. I decided to get both - a HUGE step for me.

Since then, I've been on a search for unique sounds and unique woods. It's been loads of fun, expensive yes, but really not so much more than plenty of other hobbies. And when the time comes for my heirs to deal with it all, they'll be pleased that I chose guitars rather than echoes (referring to a Mark Twain story).
Very nice lineup in your sig. Funny - you're "starting point" is likely to be where I will get to eventually. Thanks for sharing.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I have 00 to jumbo but seem to continually gravitate to my dreads (standard and slope) for the most part. I used to think I needed a _________ for fingerstyle and a _________ for the flatpick but I've grow to realize it's not so much the guitar as the technique. But the variety keeps it a little more interesting for sure. And all that being said, there are certain guitars that are better for fingerstyle and some better for bluegrass...that I will not argue. I guess it's easier to back off of a more powerful guitar that to push one that simply wasn't designed to be played that way?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have 00 to jumbo but seem to continually gravitate to my dreads (standard and slope) for the most part. I used to think I needed a _________ for fingerstyle and a _________ for the flatpick but I've grow to realize it's not so much the guitar as the technique. But the variety keeps it a little more interesting for sure. And all that being said, there are certain guitars that are better for fingerstyle and some better for bluegrass...that I will not argue. I guess it's easier to back off of a more powerful guitar that to push one that simply wasn't designed to be played that way?
Well, Jim - as a relative newbie (just under 4 years, self-taught and it shows) I actually find it easier to pump up the volume on a guitar than to substantially back off. Part of it is where I am in the learning curve, part of it is my own natural tendencies too - which is to "overplay". I am learning to tame this tendency but it seems slow going.

Fast rhythm work can come out as a change in horsepower and pace - all when the extra HP isn't needed or beneficial. On the + side, at least I am aware of it and actively working on it.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Well, Jim - as a relative newbie (just under 4 years, self-taught and it shows) I actually find it easier to pump up the volume on a guitar than to substantially back off. Part of it is where I am in the learning curve, part of it is my own natural tendencies too - which is to "overplay". I am learning to tame this tendency but it seems slow going.

Fast rhythm work can come out as a change in horsepower and pace - all when the extra HP isn't needed or beneficial. On the + side, at least I am aware of it and actively working on it.
I totally get that...and I struggle with it too. Just remember...we're all "a work in progress"! Main thing is that you have fun and enjoy the journey!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Op this is a VERY good topic.

I started playing a laminate acoustic when my first girlfriend taught me how. I am indebted to her for life...
I had one acoustic for many years, sold it for more than a decade when I didn't play much. I didn't even know about solid tops, solid bodies until much later.
Ten years ago I developed a big interest in acoustics and various sounds. I became a big 70's and 80's Yamaha fan- the red labels especially. I enjoyed the primitive thump for so little money. I soon tired of those rather one-dimensional sounds and moved on to some solid tops- what a difference- and then later to solid bodies.
I became drawn to rosewood...lovely to look at, more complexity and sustain.
I tried maple and appreciated it but it didn't quite work for me. I tried cedar tops but preferred a spruce top usually.
I strum and fingerpick 50/50 overall.
The past few years I have been buying more solid mahogany guitars with spruce tops- I have to admit a preference for the more ethereal tones and more pure notes, at least as I hear it compared to rosewood.
I used to only like the big dreads, but now have a few smaller acoustics and even a couple cutaways. They are so important for different sounds.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:27 AM

Have and have had others, but I've pretty much always favored mahogany as far as B/S tonewoods go.

Size-wise, the progression over many years (as my primary player):
OM, Dread, Jumbo, Dread, OM, 12-fret 000

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 09-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dave View Post
Have and have had others, but I've pretty much always favored mahogany as far as B/S tonewoods go.

Size-wise, the progression over many years (as my primary player):
OM, Dread, Jumbo, Dread, OM, 12-fret 000
Dave - What has brought about the recent switch from OM to 12 fret 000? Is the added bass? Comfort & feel? Neck profile? Just curious.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bodyshape, duo, solo acoustic guitar, style of play, tonewoods