The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I would state that my opinion is quite the opposite from yours. I believe a high percentage of people buying "road weary" artificially aged, faux-aged instruments are indeed doing so to look like they've put in their 10,000 hours - without doing so.
Or they just think they look cool/play well/sound great like I've said multiple other times.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:18 PM

I've been playing PRS for more than 20 yrs. I can't understand musicians bashing a guitar manufacturer, especially the greatest American success story, (for guitars) in the last 30 years. I can't think of any acoustic guitar maker I would bash, there's something to like in them all.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:50 PM

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. With that said, I had to fast forward through the video as I just couldn’t watch the scraping, scratching, pounding and denting mayhem that was taking place.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Or they just think they look cool/play well/sound great like I've said multiple other times.
I think the whole concept of relicing an instrument is purely for looks rather than sound..... when you relic an instrument your beating the hell out of the guitars body, not the electronics right? I know there are certain "ways" you can relic the pickups and whatnot but all in all its mostly wear and tear on the guitars body and neck mostly isn't it?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
I think the whole concept of relicing an instrument is purely for looks rather than sound..... when you relic an instrument your beating the hell out of the guitars body, not the electronics right? I know there are certain "ways" you can relic the pickups and whatnot but all in all its mostly wear and tear on the guitars body and neck mostly isn't it?
In truth, it has nothing whatsoever to do with personal taste, it is rather a form of individualization, which moreover also significantly degrades the value of the instrument.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-15-2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 01-15-2020, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

I too stumbled on this vid yesterday.
Tried not to watch - but I did.
Like watching a road accident.

I have a friend who makes a living making reliced solid electrics.
I think it is like wearing an earing, or a tattoo - trying to project an image that ...may not be accurate.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have a friend who makes a living making reliced solid electrics. I think it is like wearing an earring, or a tattoo - trying to project an image that may not be accurate.
There is a huge difference between self-mutilation and creative body jewelry. If you want to give your guitar a creative, individualized look, you have all the options today, e.g. with airbrush decorations and special paintwork. Many would do it that way and the money invested would also pay off when the guitar was sold.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-15-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
For my personal taste...If a guitar doesn’t come by a relic’d finish naturally it suggests that one wants to look the part, without the effort and joy of actually earning it. Why miss out on the fun of playing it into a relic’d state? That’s what’s cool.

Just my 2 cents. Ymmv, and all of that.
Fare question but just give it time. Just because it's relic'd doesn't mean it won't get beat up....over the coming years.

Relics are a personal style. How about this.... Does an experienced player desire a relic more than a beginner.?? I think yes.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 PM

It's easily, by far, the dumbest video I've seen this year and I've been watching plenty of Ridiculousness.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

You can never trust a guy with head tattoos.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars