The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Emerald: First Gig

Today I did my first gig with my Emerald Chimaera.

Ensemble was acoustic bass, violin, vibraphone, and guitar.

Hot day, with lots of transitions in terms of temperature and humidity.

Only 1 of the 18 strings needed tuning...incredible.

Sat in the mix wonderfully - sounded great.

Bonus - on one tune I got a reasonable jazz guitar sound out of the 6 string.

Lots of interest from audience members afterwards, too. And not just musos.

What a wonderful instrument! Need to woodshed more to better realize its potential.

Thanks Emerald!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:10 AM

Default Staying in tune

I noticed this also over on my side of the state as well. Last Thursday I checked my tuning before heading out with it and most everything was still in tune. Only one or two strings were a tiny bit off. I could have played without tweaking it. Hasn't been touched for a couple of weeks. I have two other carbon fiber instruments that are similar. The only wood I know of that behaves similar to carbon in this manner is Wenge.

Did you play in Montague? Been getting a lot of emails on their music festivals over there.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:35 AM

A Emerald Doubleneck will make you many friends after the gig, it alone is a showstopper.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Glad you're enjoying your Chimaera. Please tell us more about it...color, electronics, etc. Post pics of you're able. I have a cocobolo woody version on its way to me right now.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I noticed this also over on my side of the state as well. Last Thursday I checked my tuning before heading out with it and most everything was still in tune. Only one or two strings were a tiny bit off. I could have played without tweaking it. Hasn't been touched for a couple of weeks. I have two other carbon fiber instruments that are similar. The only wood I know of that behaves similar to carbon in this manner is Wenge.

Did you play in Montague? Been getting a lot of emails on their music festivals over there.
In Grand Rapids.

Actually I haven't had to do much tuning at all since I received the instrument a couple of months ago.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Glad you're enjoying your Chimaera. Please tell us more about it...color, electronics, etc. Post pics of you're able. I have a cocobolo woody version on its way to me right now.
It is an Artisan in Red like this one:

http://emeraldguitars.com/wp-content...t-Object-1.jpg
Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 AM

Default Chimeara

One thing I've had to remind people I know is that this is not an electric guitar. They are amazed as to how loud it is unplugged. I'm thinking the inside volume is the same as a normal acoustic, thus allowing a thinner body. The thin body fools some people into thinking it's a hollowbody electric.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardwest View Post
It is an Artisan in Red like this one:

http://emeraldguitars.com/wp-content...t-Object-1.jpg
Thanks Leonard. The Chimaera looks great in red. I see that you have the Baggs iMix. Based on your satisfaction with the guitar in performance, you must be satisfied with it. My new Chimaera will have the latest Baggs electronics Alistair has designed for the Chimaera where he has created a dual Element system. I don't plug in much, but I'm hoping it works well.

Quote:
One thing I've had to remind people I know is that this is not an electric guitar. They are amazed as to how loud it is unplugged. I'm thinking the inside volume is the same as a normal acoustic, thus allowing a thinner body. The thin body fools some people into thinking it's a hollowbody electric.
Yes, the Chimaera body is shallow which certainly contributes to its comfort and relatively low profile, and it is loud enough to compete with other regular size acoustics. I think the larger than normal vibrating soundboard area is a major reason.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
LOL - I've run into that, as well.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks Leonard. The Chimaera looks great in red. I see that you have the Baggs iMix. Based on your satisfaction with the guitar in performance, you must be satisfied with it. My new Chimaera will have the latest Baggs electronics Alistair has designed for the Chimaera where he has created a dual Element system. I don't plug in much, but I'm hoping it works well.

Yes, the Chimaera body is shallow which certainly contributes to its comfort and relatively low profile, and it is loud enough to compete with other regular size acoustics. I think the larger than normal vibrating soundboard area is a major reason.
I look forward to your report on once you recevied your instrument!

I am very satisfied with it. I was very happy with the sound of our ensemble this weekend and I thought the Emerald sounded great. FWIW I rolled off the bass and boosted the mids on my pre-amp. That seemed to work best in the room and with the vibes and bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber