The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Copyright laws for private music performances in medical setting?

I'm a medical student working to start a virtual music therapy program at my school. This would involve students performing (from their home) pieces for individual hospital patients on a service such as Zoom or Skype. For songs not in public domain, would any copyright laws apply here? We're still ironing the details but most likely these sessions will not be recorded for future reviewing. This is all non-profit.

Any ideas on laws/regulations that say this would or would not be okay without further copyright licenses are appreciated. I looked on the American Music Therapy Association website but couldn't find anything.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:39 PM

I'm a volunteer with several festivals, farmers markets and formerly hosted open mics. I don't know if it applies in your specific situation, but the Publishers Rights Organizations (PROs - ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) requires any venue (not the performer) open to the general public to purchase a license annually in order to legally use recorded or live performances of songs in their respective catalogs.

The licensing fee is based solely on the size of the venue and number of performances per year. It is immaterial if there is any charge to customers to attend or any payment made to performers.

Again, this applies only to venues open to the general public. A performance at a wedding, funeral, club, etc. is different so it possibly may not apply for a private therapy application.

I was briefly involved in playing music for patients (kids) at our local hospital. They were with an organization called "My Music Rx" affiliated with Children's Cancer Association. They may be able to provide info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write