The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-03-2021, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson 2021- Coming Up For Air

Hey, everybody! As usual, there's a lot happening here in the AGF Custom Shop. After more than a year of being even more of a hermit than I usually am, due to the worst pandemic in living memory, I decided it was finally time to crawl out into the daylight and toss my hat in the ring. I have a lot of pots on the stove, so to speak, and some exciting projects coming down the pike. Some commissioned builds are in the works, and two (maybe three, if I have time) spec builds that I'm working on, in the run up to Tom's B.I.G. show in the first week of September. That will surely be the event of the year for a lot of us.

I love doing spec builds, because that's where I get to stretch out and try some new ideas and processes... or just follow my whimsey with some new designs. This is the laboratory workshop segment of being a luthier. Continue evolving the guitars, refining the architecture, honing the craft, and renewing the passion for this work over and over again. I'm grateful to Tom for inviting me into the B.I.G. Return show, and giving me not only the reason,. but the imperative to build a couple guitars on my dime for the show. A little later, I'll feature those guitars...

I'm starting off this new thread with some photos of a commissioned guitar, so far a built sound box, ready for the neck construction, which I'm building for Tim B., who already owns two other Edwinson guitars. The pressure is on to outdo the previous two, or at the very least, equal them. This guitar is my largest model, the EP Performance SC, which is equivalent to a GA or SJ size. It is destined to be a multiscale Baritone, with a scale spread of 26.5"- 27.25". The primary woods are Cococbolo for the back and sides, and a superb German Spruce top. The bindings and trim are Mexican Katalox, with flamed maple elements and blue veneer lines. I'm using a new mosaic design for the rosette, end graft, segmented back inlay, and a few other elements in the neck that I will show later on. I am currently getting the neck construction lined up for this guitar, and James Klotz's Eclipse build, featured in THIS thread.

Here are some photos of Tim's guitar, minus the neck:

Thanks for looking... And stay tuned for more. I would like to keep this thread going for awhile, as Mark and Bruce do, to keep a running documentary of this year's work.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Wow--beautiful work as always, Steve!

Looking forward to seeing this come together as well as your other guitars coming down the pike.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for BIG(er) and seeing them in person!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 AM

Nice work Steve!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM

Beautiful Steve, the soundports are really cool looking. B.I.G. the return is honored to have you there. Can't wait to see what you come up with for that!
Old 05-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Really like those soundports!!! Beautiful work. Can’t wait to see the finished guitar!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 05-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Musical minimalist

Just lovin' those dual ports!!

Of course, the rest is wonderful too!

Old 05-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful work, Steve, which is no surprise! Looking forward to playing what you bring to BIG!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-31-2021, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is another guitar that is now in the finish room. This guitar will make its public debut at Tom's B.I.G. show in September. In the interest of preserving my mental health, I had to get this one to the finishing stage now, and avoid all that last minute stress. I have FIVE guitars in rotation on my workbench now, including the newest member of the team, a BRW/German Spruce Siren, which I'll show some preliminary pics of shortly.

This guitar is my Zephyr 00 model. This particular iteration is a multiscale version, with a 25"- 25.5" scale spread, joining the body at F 13. I designed a new multiscale slotted headstock, which I'm calling the "Wave" style, and also a newly designed bridge. The guitar also has Laskin-esque arm and rib bevels, dual inlaid side sound ports, a "wave" style rosette, segmented back inlay, and a scoop cutaway.
The woods are: Cocobolo back and sides, a Tunnel 13 top (the last of six I acquired in 2013), Macassar Ebony fingerboard, bridge, front and rear headstock, bindings, bevels, and scoop. Lots of luscious MacEb on this one. The neck is Honduran Mahogany, laminated with Maple lines and a Purpleheart center.

Here are some photos of this guitar, "in the white". I'm calling this guitar the "Blaze Zephyr", for the sapwood on the back. Check out that figure, huh?

Here are some shots of the new Wave headstock. I've never made a multiscale guitar with a slotted headstock before, so it was time to come up with a new design. Like my original Pogoda slot-head, the Wave tapers narrower toward the crest, for a straighter string pull from the nut to the tuner posts. I'm outfitting this guitar with a set of matte black Swiss Schertler tuners.

...And a couple more random shots. I sprayed on the first coat of sealer last night, and I'm really pleased with the POP and Sizzle of the way the woods play together under finish. This guitar will not be a shy wallflower. And just wait till you hear it... Tunnel 13 and Codobolo... Uh huh...

Thanks for looking! More shots of more guitars coming soon...
Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default NICE !

Mr. Sherrif
That sure is a beauty !
I particularly like the new headstock and the woods.
This will glow under finish I’m certain.
It sure will find admirers at B.I.G. !
Old 05-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

That looks amazing--Tunnel 13 an Cocobolo. WOW!

Can't wait to see it and play it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:20 PM

As you know, I am a big fan, but I have to say, this could be your best work ever young man. I like everything right down to the shape of the sound ports. Really unique. I do not think you will be taking this one home with you. Maybe Lonzo will give a new home across the sea or maybe it stays here in the Lone Star state!!!
Old 05-31-2021, 10:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

This has been a fun guitar to watch Steve build. He was working late yesterday evening, and I was on the back porch with my dad and wife when he walked out of the shop on his way to the spray room. He brought it up on the porch for us to look at...and Dad and Rebecca were admiring how beautiful it was.
Even though Steve’s an excellent photographer, even he couldn’t capture its true beauty in the pictures.....she’s absolutely gorgeous!!!

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-31-2021, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I have to say, other than the guitar being a stellar piece of functional art - the photography side is top shelf as well! Hope to get to hear this one.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
I have to say, other than the guitar being a stellar piece of functional art - the photography side is top shelf as well! Hope to get to hear this one.
Hey, Dustin, I hope you play the Blaze Zephyr. That would be the highlight of my year. At this stage, it has a very lively, focused, musical response when you tap on it. Great portents for the tone when it's strung up. That Tunnel 13 Redwood (along with the wood from tunnels 14 and 15) is just over the top! Pun intended. Just ask Ben Wilborn.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
As you know, I am a big fan, but I have to say, this could be your best work ever young man. I like everything right down to the shape of the sound ports. Really unique. I do not think you will be taking this one home with you. Maybe Lonzo will give a new home across the sea or maybe it stays here in the Lone Star state!!!
You are very kind, Tom. Thank you! I have another surprise for you. Spoiler alert, it's a BRW/5A German Spruce Siren. Haven't made one of those in quite awhile, but they've been very popular every time I've made one. It's my smallest model, with the heart and soul of a jumbo. I'll post some pics of the progress soon. It's going to be a sweet guitar, but I hope I don't come home with it after the show, y' know? Sirens have a tendency to sell very quickly, and a BRW/ German one even more so, I bet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop