The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 02:45 PM

I tried several Bluechip picks years ago but they were too stiff for me. (That was before they came out with the "35" thickness.)

For flatpicking, I much prefer the Wegen Bluegrass picks (1.0 to 1.4, depending).
Old 08-15-2022, 03:07 PM

I have the TD35, TD60 and TD100 for guitar. I use the Chris Thile CT55 for mandolin and JD thumb picks for guitar and Dobro. It's my go to pick
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 08-15-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a TAD-1R 40 and am very happy with it. I don't have any picks that sound like it (most of which are thin and bright sounding). My BC pick makes my guitars sound not dark but warm and like my guitars have been broken in.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
After much researching the BlueChip picks I received my order last week.

I have a TD35 and a TD45, with a few strums on my Favorite Telecaster and also my Martin SC-13 acoustic/electric.

I have to say I was disappointed, compared to my other picks varying in thickness, 73mm and 1. mm, the sound is bright with a chime.

The new picks are noticeably muddy (thick) sounding? I don't like them.

I need to declare I am coming up on 68y and I wear hearing aids. I was told my hearing levels are down, not too much frequency loss.

What is the correct sound, answer, there is no one correct sound.

The sound that I get with all my standard picks of various thicknesses, is a bright clear sound.

Not brash

The Bluechip picks are dark and lack chime.

I wanted to like them, but for me not that great.

Most people love their BC pics, I must be among the minority.
I have had a chance to play BC picks and they sound dull, they do slide off the strings nice but the tone?.....Nope not for me.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm elderly, verging on ancient. I'm an ex drummer and have had cancer treatment on a part of my head, so my hearing isn't as sharp as it used to be.

I don't play electric guitars as the OP does so I can only speak as a full acoustic player.

I am totally convinced that Blue Chip picks are the best on the market for acoustic guitar and mandolin.

I use TAD40 for guitars with light gauge strings and TAD50 on mediums.
I DON'T use them on archtops and 12 strings because I prefer Wegen TF140s.

but:::::

If you don't like the pure sound, and speed of Blue Chips, I think you have a choice.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:35 PM

While I haven’t tried em all, can simply say the feel and sound of blue chips on my guitar is standard. Bought mine used thought the forum over time and there is one for each guitar and one in a pick case on my keychain for backup.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-15-2022, 08:41 PM

I like the 1R models, one rounded corner. It gives you two different sounds on one pick. I have been using the rounded corner a lot on my acoustic archtop lately.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 TD35 units. I like them, but not as much as my old celluloids. Anybody want the BlueChip? Text me an offer.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I have 2 TD35 units. I like them, but not as much as my old celluloids. Anybody want the BlueChip? Text me an offer.
PM sent for picks
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 11-24-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I have 3 BlueChip pikcks but prefer Dunlop Primetone smooth. I like picks ranging from 1 to 1.5 mm. Also Dunlop Ultex 1.14 please my ears more than BCs.
The BCs are dark sounding picks. Maybe I should try a thinner one.
I know this is an old thread, but I just had to comment here. I discovered the Dunlop Primetone picks a few years ago and they're ALL I use now. I've used Jazz III's on electric for decades, so now my pick of choice is the Primetone Jazz III. For acoustic, I got the Primetone standard "teardrop" types and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:03 PM

Bluechip picks are not for casual strummers, singer-songwriter types, etc. They are more for melody players and people who really dig in and need a fat tone. That's why so many top flatpickers and mandolin pickers use them: they are perfect for that style of playing. Too many pros use them for them to be junk or overhyped.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Bluechip picks are not for casual strummers, singer-songwriter types, etc. They are more for melody players and people who really dig in and need a fat tone. That's why so many top flatpickers and mandolin pickers use them: they are perfect for that style of playing. Too many pros use them for them to be junk or overhyped.
Casual strummers - no, I agree.
Singer -songwriters - not sure I agree - depends on their melodic aspects of their accompaniment.
I love my Blue chips 346 large triangles ; Tad40 (1 m/m) TAD50 (1,25m/m and TAD 60 (1.5 m/m.

I also use Wegen TF 120 and 150 which works for me when my hearing is dull, and always for archtop 12 string and reso.
Not going to try to convince anyone but BC picks are the "bees knees" for me.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:11 PM

I don't really have much to add to this old thread, other than to repeat what I've posted on similar threads.

I've owned 4 blue chip picks, of various shapes and thicknesses. I've tried them on my many mandolins and guitars.

Like the OP so long ago, I too have found blue chips to be muted, muddy and uninspiring. I like Wegens, Gravity gold PEEK picks, Charmed Life resin and casein, brown Prime tones and even Gravity acrylics much more.

I flatpick lead/melody lines as well as backup rhythm for mostly bluegrass, old time, C&W and Americana.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I don't really have much to add to this old thread, other than to repeat what I've posted on similar threads.

I've owned 4 blue chip picks, of various shapes and thicknesses. I've tried them on my many mandolins and guitars.

Like the OP so long ago, I too have found blue chips to be muted, muddy and uninspiring. I like Wegens, Gravity gold PEEK picks, Charmed Life resin and casein, brown Prime tones and even Gravity acrylics much more.

I flatpick lead/melody lines as well as backup rhythm for mostly bluegrass, old time, C&W and Americana.
To add to Bart's thoughts and others here, I don't see this thread as trashing of a great brand and company; it's just that not one pick (or material) is good for all players. THis would be like saying a D-28 or Strat is the only guitar you should play. As the French say, "Vive la difference!"

It's funny. I never tell someone what they'll hear if they buy one of our picks. There are just too many variables.

On Bart's point, this is a frequent comment with Vespel (which we also sell, so no dissing of BC going on here). It can sound dark and too muted for some players, in some playing situations. But as someone above mentioned, with players from Billy Strings to Chris Thile and everyone in between playing BC picks, they're the real deal.

scott memmer
Old 11-24-2023, 06:52 PM

A few days before this thread was revived, I happened to pull out all five of my Blue Chip picks for the first time in months. The past couple years I've been playing electric guitar every day, acoustic guitar very rarely and mandolin not at all. So the Blue Chips have been stowed away in the mandolin and acoustic cases.

I reconfirmed what I thought I recalled. Just cannot get any of them (CT55, STP40, Jazz LG 35, IBJ55, TP48-1R) to sound or feel right on a Telecaster wearing a set of 9's. I need thinner picks with a point that I can just brush across the strings.

But I also reconfirmed what I remembered about the acoustic instruments. That's a very different picking technique and for me nothing else works like like my CT55 on mandolin or the TP48-1R on my acoustic guitar. Pick striking string at an angle and moving "down and through" the string rather than brushing the top, for me that requires a thicker, beveled pick and the Blue Chip material just sounds so full and solid. And it is so stable through the string I find it very accurate.

But if all I'd ever played was a solid-body electric guitar with extra light strings I'd probably be chiming in on how Blue Chip (or Primetone for that matter) picks weren't All That!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion