The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Oh, Steve Goodman...

...how we miss you!

(wanna see on of the best guitarists around...watch the full hour, below)

Larry, even though this thread has taken twists and turns, thanks for this tribute to Steve Goodman. What gifts he had! And, like John Prine, another of the Chicago school of folksy singer/songwriters, Mr. Goodman always seemed to pitch it just right - a witty guy, but not overbaked and cornball.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:54 AM

I wonder if that's the concert I went to when I was out there. It would have been Nov or Dec. My first exposure to John Prine and I went out and bought an album as a result.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:10 AM

Like others here, I grew up in the Western Burbs of Chucago.
My High School years were 61-65.... spent a lot of time on Wells St. and Old Towne in the coffee houses listenting to Steve and Prine and Gibson. It was a truely singular experience. They were so much younger than the video then. They were honing the act...fun to see.
Thanks for the Memories.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by HFox; 01-22-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Pretty cool to resurrect a thread from nine years ago, I have read every post! I would have loved to been around Chicago when Goodman and Prine were starting out.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was lucky to see Steve in concert four times. The first time, at the Santa Monica Civic, he pinned me against my seat, against which I've been riveted for almost 50 years. I even remember where I was SITTING in the Civic. He had that kind of effect on people.

This is the closet clip I've ever seen to being in the room when Goodman played.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM

This is one of those "zombie" threads that deserves to be revived from time to time. I'm not from Chicago and never got to see Steve Goodman in concert, but every time the "underground" radio station in my youth would play one of his songs, I would just be riveted.

Today, I use "Six Hours Ahead of the Sun" and "The Dutchman" (not a Goodman original, but it might as well be) in my playlists. "Somebody's Else's Troubles" is also a great crowd-pleaser.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:30 PM

I got to offer a bit of a different opinion on John Denver's guitar playing. I think John Denver was a great guitarist, because he got the guitar to do exactly what he wanted it to do. I don't care if you're playing eight chords or eighty chords, if you can get the guitar to work for you the way you want it to, then you're a great guitarist, in my book anyway.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:19 PM

I think I was there as well, while I was at U of C in Boulder. I had never heard him before. Immediately went out and got the album with Angel From Montgomery and Sam Stone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion