The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Takamine damaged in shipping

Well, I posted the story on how it got broke here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=333802

I went to Danny D's Guitar Hacienda in League City, Tx and Danny told me it would cost about $175 or so to repair and refinish. We got to talking though, and I let him know I took a repair class at Vermont Instruments. He suggested I do this myself, and gave me some pointers.

Most notably, he told me to use super glue. I must admit I first thought of tite bond with clamps, etc., but he was convinced super glue was the way to go. He also suggested I use new glue since super glue looses it's potency over time.

So I did it,!! But I made two mistakes along the way that made it harder than it needed to be. First, I used old super glue Why didn't I listen? Sure enough, since the repair is on a curve in the upper bout, the glue was not strong enough to hold (StewMac 10 glue). It was the right glue, but just too old. So I went to the store and bought super glue that appeared to be the same consistency as 10 (thin), so it would wick into the cracks. Second mistake was using masking tape to keep run off to a minimum. All it did was make finishing harder, since I had to scrape it all off first. Had I not used masking tape, I'd just be refinishing super glue, which is similar to the finish on this Takamine.

I happened to have some micro mesh, so once the glue all held, I went down in grit to the finest I have wet sanding the entire time and cleaning up with Naphtha (lighter fluid should work also). Admittedly, the repair is not invisible, and a more experienced person could get the finish shinier; however, I did it myself and to be truthful, it looks pretty good. Without the flash, you really have to look at it. Under the flash, though, it really stands out. The value of the guitar is impacted, to be sure, but it was a good lesson.

Youtube and Dan Erlewine were helpful on the super glue also.

Anyway, here are some pics I took, stopping periodically to show progress from broken to fixed:

Last edited by LTC C; 04-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Well done, I can not see any repair marks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Looks good.... glad you took it on yourself....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair