The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-14-2019, 04:12 AM

Default So, I’m looking for the most comprehensive chord chart to buy

I found this one. It’s not the prettiest, but I like how it gives you a lot of bass notes over chords... what do you guys and gals think?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283570685182

Do you have a favorite chord chart?
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev0882 View Post
I found this one. It’s not the prettiest, but I like how it gives you a lot of bass notes over chords... what do you guys and gals think?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283570685182
1. No chord chart that will fit on an average wall and still be legible (without a magnifying glass) will be "comprehensive"

2. Some of the chords on that chart are wrong, so that's hardly great. Let me see how many I can correct before I get bored:

(i) The "A#" chords would all be much better called "Bb" chords. A# chords are extremely rare. Bb chords are much more common. To an actual musician, the difference matters. (I mean obviously they sound the same, but the correct name matters.)
The same applies to most of the "D#" chords. "Eb" would be a more likely root name.

(ii) The shape labelled "A/D" is x-x-0-0-2-2 (D-G-C#-F#), which is no such thing. Should be x-x-0-2-2-0.

(iii) "A11" is Em7/C#, a rather nasty sound, with no A in it anyway.

(iv) "A7(9+)" is an unorthodox symbol, hard to make sense of, but the shape given is nonsensical anyway. It's an A7#5 with F# bass!

(v) "A9" actually shows E/A, which will sound like an incomplete Amaj9. A9 needs a G natural (and a C#).

(vi) "Am(7#)" is another nonsense symbol, and the shape shown is Fadd9/A.

OK, now I'm bored, and I didn't even get to the end of the A's. I guess you take the point: this is about as unreliable as one can imagine a chord chart could be. It was obviously made by a musical illiterate. Don't buy it. If you've already bought it, throw it away. (Sorry, recycle it... save it for wrapping Xmas presents )

My advice? Don't waste time on chord charts. Get a bona fide chord dictionary, from a reputable publisher. If you want a pretty music poster for your wall, get one with pictures of guitars or something, or maybe the circle of 5ths.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-14-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 AM

I never really found a need for a huge chord chart. I think a better way to go about it would be to first learn the common variation of the E, A, and D chord shapes (major, minor, 7th, min7, Maj7). Actually, for this step you may need a chord chart to get you started. This gives you the foundation for playing those shapes as barre chords all over the neck, which means you could then play any major, minor, 7th, min7, or Maj7 chord in multiple voicings/places.
You could then learn the theory behind how chords are built - what a triad is and how to make them. Extend this by understanding diatonic extensions (7ths, 9ths, 11ths, etc.). Once you have just a little bit of the theory down and understand how the notes/scales are arranged on the neck, you will never need a chord chart again. Learning the theory doesn't take too long, and it's definitely worth the effort! It all starts by simply learning the major scale as pretty much everything else is built from that.

Last edited by srbell; 11-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Great answers! Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Hey Mike v

Here are two links for you.

Chord Finder when you need some fingerings to a suggested chord-click here

Find the name(s) of a chord you made up (Chord Namer) - click

They are companions and work well, and are free. Better than any chord book or chart I ever owned.

And if you go to jchord.com on your phone, there is a menu select (top right corner of mine) which gives drop down access to all the same functions on your phone.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

This is the most comprehensive collection of chord charts I have ever come across. How user friendly it is, I have no idea, but it definitely is comprehensive: Guy's Grids

https://www.amazon.com/Guys-Complete.../dp/0615842836

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 AM

I will just add that while chord dictionaries are great when you're starting out, it shouldn't take too long to learn how chords are structured and why they're named as they are. Once you understand that - and once you get a working knowledge of your fretboard - you can construct any chord symbol you see, anywhere on the fretboard.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I have chord books for dadgad and orkney, plus a few in standard. One chart isn't going to cut it for me. If you need an inversion, google is your friend.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have chord books for dadgad and orkney
Good point. Alt tunings need their own sets of chord shapes.

BTW, how do you tune your strings to O-R-K-N-E-Y?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 AM

If you learn how chords are made (which you could do in a month, if you work on it every day) you will know every chord imaginable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you learn how chords are made (which you could do in a month, if you work on it every day) you will know every chord imaginable.
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day: teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry."

Learn how chords are made and throw away the chord charts. There is no single, "comprehensive" chord chart that lists every chord in every inversion in every fingering.

As an aside, most "common" chord shapes can be slide up and down the neck, with or without a barre. If one is looking for the "common" chords, one only needs to learn a dozen or so shapes that can then be positioned anywhere along the fingerboard: one doesn't need chord charts for that.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-15-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

Hi Jon

C, G, D, G, C, D

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-15-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jon

C, G, D, G, C, D

Yeah I knew that, I couldn't resist the joke.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
+1
The only chord chart that matters is the one in your head.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

Lol. One of my favorite guitarist is actually from Orkney, Scotland. (Stephen Wake)

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write