The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I prefer a traditional ebony board, but I understand that some companies are looking at Richlite and other alternatives. I was looking online at the Gibson J-45 Montana Anniversary guitars (MSRP $6500; only 30 being produced), and they are built Richlite boards. The times, they are a changin'...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Sounds like “Micarta” which has a long history of use in things like knife handles and such.
Known to be very tough and stable.
Essentially this.

Micarta is a phenolic resin with linen filler. Richlite is the same phenolic with waste paper filler. Pheonolic resins with other fillers have different trade names but they all function fairly identically.

Nothing functionally wrong with Richlite for a fingerboard. It's simply a cost savings measure.

I wouldn't want a Richlite board on a +1000 instrument, because it comes off as a cheap way for the manufacturer to save 10 bucks. On a cheaper stage instrument where cost is a driving factor I have no issue with it.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Yeah it is, look it up.
THERMOSETTING PLASTICS/PHENOLICS
aka bakelite, tufnol, paxolin, richlite, novotext...

Paper shreds, wood pulp, it's still bakelite from 1906.
Not quite accurate. While the binding agent in richlite is a thermoset plastic similar to bakelite, it's a composite material. Saying they're the same is like saying carbon fiber is the same as epoxy resin.

I owned a D16GT which had a micarta fingerboard. It wasn't the same as ebony, but felt very good to play. I certainly never had a feeling that it was inferior in any way.

One of my current guitars has rocklite (similar material again) bindings. Personally, I simply can't feel or see the difference between this and ebony, but it will be much more resilient and hard-wearing than wooden bindings.

Cheers
Dave

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I'm checking out new Gibson Parlor guitars, and the Rosewood & Walnut have Richlite finger boards. Reading about Richlite on the web I have found that it is made of phenolic resin infused paper. Phelolic resin is some kind of polymer. Some say it is a substitute for ebony. It appears some Martins have this fingerboard too. Anybody ever play a guitar with Richlite fingerboard? Any thoughts about this? Thanks.
Absolutely the best material for a finger board, IMO. If I had a preference it would be Richlite every time. Also, in a world as far away from the guitar as one can imagine, I work with the material pretty regularly and must say it exceeds my needs for strength, durability and workability.

And, almost unbelievably (per the SDS for the material) ...

15.3. US State regulations California Proposition 65 -This product does not contain any substances known to the state of California to cause cancer, developmental and/or reproductive harm
Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM

It is very nice. I have a Dx1 with richlite fretboard. It is nice and feels very similar to ebony. Again, not as pretty, but feel is very close.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
...Richlite..It is a good inexpensive substitute for ebony to help make entry level guitars more affordable. ...
Richlite - is more expensive than Ebony or EI Rosewood. However, it may have less waste and loss of material due to fewer inconsistencies as compared to natural woods.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 02-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:17 PM

I prefer richlite to ebony. Ebony seems to trap more dirt and oils from my hands.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM

I can't feel any difference between Richlite and hardwood fret-boards. I generally tend to prefer character/texture in my wood but Richlite works perfectly, lasts almost forever and looks fine. Unfortunately, use of it doesn't reduce the cost of a guitar.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM

I have tried the Martins with Richlite/Micarta fret boards and I didn't mind them at all. I wouldn't hesitate buying a guitar with one if I liked the way it played and sounded.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:35 PM

Sorry, no Richlite for me. I wont even look at a guitar with that.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Nothing functionally wrong with Richlite for a fingerboard. It's simply a cost savings measure.
It's not a cost saving measure, it's a wood saving measure...I guess 'someone' should cue the Bob Taylor video on ebony conservation.

Richlite, I've been informed, is actually more expensive than ebony.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-16-2019, 01:54 PM

I'm probably missing something but for those who have said it feels better, what exactly are you feeling? I'm asking because the part of my fingers that touch it have calluses and don't feel anything.

And yes, as I stated above I have two Martins with Richlite fingerboards and one Gibson with a Walnut fingerboard.

All three are indistinguishable from one another in terms of what my fingertips "feel" but of course the neck profiles and radii are different so my hand feels that difference.

Seriously, what is it you feel?

Best,
PJ
Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
It's not a cost saving measure, it's a wood saving measure...I guess 'someone' should cue the Bob Taylor video on ebony conservation.

Richlite, I've been informed, is actually more expensive than ebony.
Indeed Richlite is more expensive to produce than ebony. Taylor offers ebony fret boards on the 110 which is their lowest priced dread.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Martin D Junior has a Richlite fingerboard. Richlite is consistently black, and, to me, feels smoother and has less friction on the fretting fingers than ebony or rosewood. Richlite is resistant to dimensional changes with varying humidity.
You just spelled out why Ricklite is superior to wood. With those properties, why wood you want anything but Richlite. Woodn't it be the best product for all fingerboards?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I'm checking out new Gibson Parlor guitars, and the Rosewood & Walnut have Richlite finger boards. Reading about Richlite on the web I have found that it is made of phenolic resin infused paper. Phelolic resin is some kind of polymer. Some say it is a substitute for ebony. It appears some Martins have this fingerboard too. Anybody ever play a guitar with Richlite fingerboard? Any thoughts about this? Thanks.
It wouldn't make any difference to me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion