The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Default How to play a dreadnought without shoulder probs

I’m 5’7” and used to have the shoulder problems that many people describe when playing dreads. I’ve solved the problem for me and thought I would share. Hope my solution helps others.

If I play dreads in the standard seated position I get the typical shoulder discomfort after 20-30 min. What I do instead is to use a strap. I then hang the guitar slightly lower than it would be if placed on my right leg by hanging it off to the side slightly. I also lean the soundboard edge of the bass lower bout inward towards my upper torso and the treble side outward away from my pelvis.

This position lowers the guitar so my shoulder is not raised and hunched up like it would be in the typical position and it reduces the outward reach so that the dread depth feels reduced to a smaller size guitar depth.

I hope this is clear. Give it a try and see if it helps you. I’ve also found that playing in front of a mirror can reveal playing posture problems that are not apparent if you don’t see yourself and how your body is holding the guitar. Plus it allows me to enjoy how **** cool I look when playing - ha ha.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 AM

I play with a strap on all of my guitars, all of the time. If I go to a jam and forget my strap, I'm miserably uncomfortable the whole time.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Good tip! I must try it. Not that I have shoulder issues (I am shorter than you) and I play my dread usually standing up using a strap. My issue seems to be the old "tennis elbow" affliction. Sometimes I wear a brace at my elbow.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:17 AM

Never gave it much thought. I normally turn guitar slightly so my arm hangs a little more naturally. Not that is the reason I do it.

I do it to keep from getting buckle rash. But not having shoulder trouble is a very nice benefit.

Thanks for the post.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

...excellent advise..an added benefit to angling the guitars soundhole up is that you can hear the guitars projection better....one caveat is that it does alter the fretting hands position and may for some players be trading one problem for another....
Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Another simple trick: Learn to play your dread like a classical guitar or Les Paul. Elivate your left knee via a stack of books or the ring on a guitar chair, set the guitar on your left knee, and rotate the neck up and lower bout down. Now the right arm should doesn't have to be raised nearly as high as it did when you had the guitar in the "cowboy" position on the right leg.

Be aware that you can shift positions - it isn't this OR that, it can be this AND that, and you can shift as you play in order to make certain types of playing more comfortable.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 AM

You could achieve the same effect to a greater degree more easily by playing the dreadnought on your left knee instead of your right. You are muffling your guitar when you play it standing on a strap and so you are robbing yourself of the unplugged acoustic richness and volume of your guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
I’m 5’7” and used to have the shoulder problems that many people describe when playing dreads. I’ve solved the problem for me and thought I would share. Hope my solution helps others.

If I play dreads in the standard seated position I get the typical shoulder discomfort after 20-30 min. What I do instead is to use a strap. I then hang the guitar slightly lower than it would be if placed on my right leg by hanging it off to the side slightly. I also lean the soundboard edge of the bass lower bout inward towards my upper torso and the treble side outward away from my pelvis.

This position lowers the guitar so my shoulder is not raised and hunched up like it would be in the typical position and it reduces the outward reach so that the dread depth feels reduced to a smaller size guitar depth.

I hope this is clear. Give it a try and see if it helps you. I’ve also found that playing in front of a mirror can reveal playing posture problems that are not apparent if you don’t see yourself and how your body is holding the guitar. Plus it allows me to enjoy how **** cool I look when playing - ha ha.

Last edited by gitarro; 02-16-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that to see how it works.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 AM

I'm 5'5" on a good day. I use classical posture and a foot rest.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
Good tip! I must try it. Not that I have shoulder issues (I am shorter than you) and I play my dread usually standing up using a strap. My issue seems to be the old "tennis elbow" affliction. Sometimes I wear a brace at my elbow.
Try the theraband flex bar for tennis elbow. Has worked well for me.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:

You've figured it out! Congrats. Positioning is everything. I use straps universally. I find that 1/2" too high or too low increases effort and discomfort. I even purchased a hole punch kit so I can adjust how the straps go over the end pins and split the difference between one stock hole and other.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Thank you for this thread! I thought that there must be something wrong with me since my shoulder would start pinging after 30 minutes or so playing my dread. I'm only 5 feet tall and I was worried that I'd have to sell my beautiful guitar and get something smaller. Now, I know I'm not the only one with this problem and I can probably adapt. The suggestions are excellent. The only question I have is if I turn the fretboard slightly inward as the OP says, won't that stress my left wrist because hand/arm alignment will be off?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 PM

wow, shoulder problem day on the AGF.

i have bursitis in both shoulders and do stretching exercises for my shoulders, arms and hands prior to playing.

i have an hd28 that may be the best guitar i have, but, i still need to do the exercises and i can still only play it for less than an hour when i need to change to a smaller guitar.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Strap, or hold the guitar like a classical player. The neck up product makes it easy.

Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Try the theraband flex bar for tennis elbow. Has worked well for me.
Very interesting. I will check it out further. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion