The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 PM

Default For those that have both Bourgeois and Collings

I have two 000 Collings, one a cut and another a Koa/German with 1 13/16 necks and like them a lot. I want a 14 fret preferably with a cut which has led me in the direction of an OMC Bourgeois.
Most seem to think, though they are different that they are somewhat equals in the tone dept. My question is what do you think of both necks? My options are a non cut OM2H Collings Traditional or a OMC Bourgeois with Swiss top. Both have 1 3/4 necks, with 2 5 16 spacing.
Any opinions?
Some say the OMC neck is too thin. Any elaboration or observations are most welcome, especially from folks that own or have owned both. Thanks

Last edited by SprintBob; 02-16-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Although I don’t have experience with the Collings neck, and it varies by the person...but I miss the neck on my old Bourgeois OMC every time I pick up a guitar! It was the fastest neck I’ve played...1-3/4” nut but felt thinner. I think that guitar made me a better player!! Would love to come across another one day.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM

For those that have both Bougeois and Collings:

You have my undying envy!
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I have neither at the moment but had a 000 12 fret Collings and a Bourgeois CB 00 at the same time for a couple years. I thought the Bourgeois neck was very similar to the neck that Collings uses on their 14 fret models like the C10 and many others which is more rounded. The 0001 12 fret I had used a more traditional V shape neck, though still hefty and not as pronounced a V as some. Mine both had 1.75 nuts. Bourgeois’s necks I’ve found to be great and comfy with decent heft and not feel thin, but not a log either. Nice sweet spot.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 of each and find the necks on the Bourgeois to be a little more shallow, I prefer the Collings Traditional necks.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:43 AM

I guess I should have done a poll which guitar would be the one to get because inevitably the necks are going to come into play in that discussion. I am really super familiar with Collings as I have had many, both in 1 3?4 and 1 13/16 with standard necks ( too narrow for me @ 2 3/16 bridge spacing ) and VN necks and have played a few Traditionals. It’s been a while since I have played a Bourgeois so it’s hard to compare and I am not going to find one to play anywhere near in Florida.
I have narrowed it down to a OM2HT Sitka or a Bourgeois OMC with Swiss top.
I have been leaning a bit in the direction of the OMC for its moderate cutaway and Swiss top and having something a little different sounding than my two main players which are both Collings 000’s. I just keep hearing about the super thin neck profile of Dana’s guitars and it seems most are finding it not as desirerable as the Collings neck. I do have an AJ that has a really slim neck, and I get along OK with it, though it’s not my favorite being almost like the profile of a Tele.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I own both Collings and Bougeois guitars with their versions of a modified V profile and find the neck carves to be similar. The Collings is slightly deeper, but hardly noticeable to my hand. Both are very nice and work well for me. I find Collings modified V necks to be perfect for me, so that’s a high bar.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I have a Bourgeois OM and really like the neck! I also have Collings' SJ's and a CJ, all with the haircut headstock, which is my preference over the V shapes and find them all very comfortable to switch with.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 AM

It depends upon your playing technique. The Bourgeois neck is more shallow than the Collings traditional neck and has a more pronounced V with less mass on the shoulders. The Bourgeois neck also stays fairly similar as you move up the neck, while the Collings traditional gets deeper and chunkier. I would strongly recommend trying them both in person before making a decision.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Thanks, Yes I have played a bunch of Traditional Collings and own or have had just about every other flavor Collings. So I know their necks well. It is the Bourgeois OMC that I have to take a chance on unless I want to get on an airplane. None in Florida I know of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion