The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

If you're even remotely inclined, get a steam generating whole house humidifier. The initial cost is a bit high, but you'll love it. No more static shocks, guitars that stay in tune, and the temperature feels more comfortable because the humidity is up.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 PM

Get yourself a hardcase with the D'Addario Humidipak.
Install as directed, and leave it for a day or two, then check again. Hopefully it helps. I don't leave the guitar on a stand anymore, it lives in it's case.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-03-2019, 10:12 PM

Read other answers... and agree with most of them.
This winter, I am experimenting : hung a towel in a two door width wardrobe where I store my guitars. I have to wet the towel at least twice a day. The hygrometer shows it works (50-55%).
In fact, I was tired of filling a soundhole device in each of my many guitars (I have some in HSC, some in gigbag).
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Seems like a good idea Mawmow - if you have the closet space. (I would have to ditch a closet full of women's clothes, which I don't think would go over well). I dislike sound-hole devices as well.

Maybe you can 'line' the closet (or the area of it you're using) with plastic, and seal the door well with weather stripping to slow the moisture escaping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair