The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the warm words, team! I love this community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
When I saw yours was 18 minutes I thought to myself, "Too long".

I love the fretboard bottom cut and wish I'd thought of that for mine.

Definitely send that video to Emerald. They'll want to use it on their website and FB page for sure.
When I started editing, and realized how long it was going to be, I got worried too. I'm glad it kept your interest!

Alistair did that fretboard contour pretty early in the process of my guitars so that may be the case, but can't hurt to check!

I hope they use it for FB! They were so great that I wanted to make a video good enough to give back, help them out with an independent promotional vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
I'm wondering if they can build it without the cut away. I really never play that high up, and I'm wondering how much louder I can get with that cutaway real estate taken back.
I believe Emerald has (expensive!) molds made for each guitar so they may not be able to change much on the body shape. Worth asking though! A guitar tech once told me they'd done studies on cutaways and found about a 1% difference in loudness, so if they can't do it hopefully you're not missing out on much.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I believe Emerald has (expensive!) molds made for each guitar so they may not be able to change much on the body shape. Worth asking though!
They'd have to completely redo the neck-to-body geometry as well...
Quote:
A guitar tech once told me they'd done studies on cutaways and found about a 1% difference in loudness, so if they can't do it hopefully you're not missing out on much.
A regular subject for discussion in other areas of the AGF, which rarely comes to any conclusion, except that some people like cutaways, and some people loath them
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Ok had a chance to view on me lil i27 Mac and my headphones... most excellent video ever for a guitar or any review really. One doesn't even notice that it is as long as it is. Touched on things I didn't really notice on my X 30. And some clever cool stuff you did , so now I dont like my straight across necks ends on my guitars so I'll just discard them and start over with new and improved "byudzai" custom models.

I now realize I have to get taller, thinner, play a lot better, get a good speaking voice annnddd... get way better looking I mean way way. Also a DSLR and a proper lens that makes a nice bokeh and a good mic would help too. So now my X30 video will just end up being fodder for those who are up late and the only other thing on is cheesy in your face goofy infomercials .

So what I am trying to say is this is a very excellent video that covers everything great about the X 30..If I didn't have one I would order one now.

And one lil suggestion if I may be so bold...a cameo of a certain mug "borrower" would have been the icing on the pie...or something like that

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I am not easily influenced, but I did order a case of "Cheesy In Your Face" stuff... and I'm usually in bed by 11:00.

Even Bob Taylor has said that the difference in sound between a cutaway and non-cutaway is very minor. More about the aesthetics... and I love me some cutaway!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I don't have room or money for an X30 right now...soooo, a little restraint on the positive reviews of the X30 would make me feel better about myself, also, I've given up on getting taller or better looking. So... I'm just saying you did a great job on the video ! Thanks for that effort.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Excellent, excellent video. I've got an x20 on order and hope to have it soon, but after watching your video, I'm wondering if I should have went for the x30 instead. I thought it would be too big so I went with the x20. In any case, that was a great review and certainly didn't seem as long as it was.

Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
Excellent, excellent video. I've got an x20 on order and hope to have it soon, but after watching your video, I'm wondering if I should have went for the x30 instead. I thought it would be too big so I went with the x20. In any case, that was a great review and certainly didn't seem as long as it was.

Dan
You will love the 20 as it is a great guitar..I dare say the best all-round going...a bit smaller but still a nice full sound. So you did good.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I don't have room or money for an X30 right now...soooo, a little restraint on the positive reviews of the X30 would make me feel better about myself, also, I've given up on getting taller or better looking. So... I'm just saying you did a great job on the video ! Thanks for that effort.
I know of a nice X 30 in your very state that likes folks to come have at it... hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Guest 928

I've heard that those 30s are really friendly.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've heard that those 30s are really friendly.
Very ergonomically so.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 PM

Wow, best review ever! Supper informative, answered all my questions, and all the questions that I didn’t even know I had! Great job, and thanks a million!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post

Dan
You made a GREAT choice!!! The X20 is awesome, and more manageable as far as size (at least for a small person like me!!) You will love it so I echo what Kramster said!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Yall are making me blush!!

Looks like they liked it too!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Way cool! You are going to be famous.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much for the informative and interesting review. For instance- I didn't know the X30 was 12 fret to body standard! I like the idea so much that I may go big or go home should I ever be in the market for a larger CF. Looks and sounds great!

I think you should earn royalties for every X30 sold going forward.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber