The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Steel-String opinions, please!

I'm doing my usual browsing for a deal and have come across a couple of intriguing Cordobas. Now, I had thought that Cordobas were strictly nylon-stringed classical guitars but, for a while at least, they apparently came out with a couple of steel-string lines that featured a hybrid bracing system.

The first that I stumbled across was a used Leona L9-E - a parlor/concert short scale 12-fret slothead git, all solid mahogany construction with Fishman Sonotone pickup and a polyfoam case. It's available at a big box seller at a very enticing price.

Next up is an Acero D10-CE: solid Engleman spruce top, solid EIR back and sides, 1.8" (!) nut, Fishman electronics:

Two entirely different beasts, I know. I'm primarily interested in a smaller body guitar to complement my Seagull S6 but then I stumbled across the Cordoba dread and was intrigued. Besides, I don't have a spruce-top git yet

I suspect that these are no longer offered because (a) they didn't sell well since, like me, others see "Cordoba" and think "nylon" and (b) when Cordoba bought Guild, it made sense for align the respective brands with their strengths (Cordoba = nylon, Guild = steel).

On the other hand, maybe these models just weren't up to snuff with all the competition out there.

As is usually the case in rural North Carolina, no one around here sells these (in fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh). If I buy, it'll have to be an act of long-distance faith (and a generous return policy). Sooooo... I'm soliciting opinions. Does anyone here have one (or both) of these or, at least, have played one and walked away either impressed or disappointed? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM

I got an all solid wood sitka with mahogany back and sides Acero D9 without pickup at a very good price. Very responsive for fingerpicking, maybe somewhat bright tone, but also forceful tone from low E string. Fan bracing and spanish heel for the neck, so very unusual guitar (although Alhambra makes such guitars also). Quite thin wood for the top. It cannot have a neck reset, if ever needed, but mine has a high bridge, so it can be sanded down if the top raises a bit. Immaculate workmanship with wood bindings. I think neck is 3 piece, but it is ok with me. Tone is quite different from my Seagull S6 cedar topped guitar, but they both are more responsive than my Martin OM-21 (post 2012 model) although less complex in sound. Neck profile is somewhat fuller C profile compared to the S6 and OM-21, but same nut width. Setup perfect from factory.

Pictures in this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=421546

Last edited by Palle; 02-16-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:00 PM

they are no longer in production....the ones you find on the internet are usually close outs or marked b stock to blow them out. I actually had two of them,
the le9 hog tops...they were very very nice guitars, built well and sound very nice and played excellently. I just get tradin*bfever a lot and traded both away....should have kept one...

if you can one under 400 with case, ,( which i did twice, ) buy it. Its all solid honduran mahogany, light weight spanish heel built, noice tone and volume....whats not to like?

this looks like a steal
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Co...stic-Guitar.gc
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 02-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 PM

I recently bought the D10 - and returned it. I really wanted to like this guitar. Unfortunately I liked everything about it except the sound. Mine had anemic bass and thin trebles. I think the few u tube videos available are fairly accurate as to the sound. Would be a good guitar to try as long as you can return it.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

The store where I take my guitar lessons has a “new old stock” Cordoba Leona L10, the spruce topped version. My instructor pointed it out to me almost nine months ago. I play it at least a couple of times a month and I am impressed by the sound, playability and construction. If they had the L9 mahogony top in stock I probably would have bought one.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM

I recently had a Cordoba D11c.

Things I liked:
- 1.75" nut width (specs say 1.80" but mine measured 1.75")
- Satin finish on the neck. It's like the finish on a pool stick.
- Neck profile. It's kind of full but in a comfortable way (for me). It's similar to a Tacoma neck if you've ever tried one of those.
- Thin finish. It appears to be anyway. The acacia back had some subtle figuring to it and I could feel the figure due to what appeared to be a thin finish.
- The fretboard. Ebony fretboard and medium frets (similar to Tacoma if I remember correctly).
- The appearance. The style is subtle and understated but very attractive (to me)
- Build quality seemed solid.
- The pickup wasn't bad. The UST was good for a UST. The microphone added a lot of higher frequencies that didn't add to the tone in my opinion. I preferred using just the UST with a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

Things I didn't like:
- The weight. Mine was heavy. It think it's due to the electronics. There was a big thing hanging under the bridgeplate that I'm assuming was the UST. It's supposed to have individual piezos under each string and it had to have added a lot of weight.
- the tone was a mixed bag for me. On certain days it sounded great and on other days it sounded awful. I usually like Elixir 80/20s bit not in this guitar (muffled and weak). I tried DR RARE phosphor bronze and they were much better. The top seems to be heavily braced so I should've tried mediums on it. The tone is both deep (without punch) and bright (but in the mid-range - the high E string was a little weak). It's hard to describe. It appears to have been designed to channel the energy of the strings into a lot of sustain and a lot of subtle overtones at the expense of punch. The overtones weren't overpowering but there were a lot of them compared to what I'm used to. I prefer a guitar that has some punch so playing this guitar seemed a bit muffled to me. It did have a lot of sustain though. If you're a strummer, it may not be the best option. If you play beautifully and enjoy sustain then I could see how it would be really great. I'm a hack and don't play beautifully.

I wanted to like it for all of it's good qualities esp since I got a really good deal on it but I ended up moving it on for a great price locally ($300). The person who bought it from me really likes it so it worked out.

The Cordoba I had was different than most guitars. You may find that's a good thing or you may not. I would recommend trying before you buy
Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Just bought a used 2007 Taylor GA3. Well, it really is a better guitar, I will let the Cordoba Acero D9 go.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 AM

It seems they are a mixed bag. The D9Ce I have is a hiss. This build seems to live mahogany. Haven't played the rosewood or acacia versions but I love mine
Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 PM

Default i'm your Huckleberry

I bought a D9c, and returned it...not because it was 'bad'...but sometimes you have to choose...
you see where this is going?

I currently have a D-10 Acero, a D-10-E Acero, and a D-11 Acero.

(among other all solids, Recording King ROS-a9m, Bedell TB-17-G, Bedell TB-24-G, Fender Paramount PM-1 Deluxe...etc )
(OK, do i belong here yet with my all solid weaknesses?)

AND I'm in NC, but north-western NC..

ok...

The D10s are shimmer-y, crashing overtones in layers, but a dark tone...The D11 is a very light responsive clarity that really rings out and is very balanced..

All three(only two models, one D10 is Electrified with a mic and piezo, iirc) are gorgeous..

They are Spanish heel construction, and I thought they were LIGHT, not heavy as compared to the Bedells and Paramounts...

I attributed the responsiveness to the Flamenco Fan style bracing/Spanish heel
.. and all three are delightfully articulate..the ebony boards and solid backs/sides are gorgeously figured, yet subtle on first glance.

Truth again, the D9c was supposed to be swapped for a D9E, but it turned out to be a D10E when it showed up...

I already HAD the D10, but I had to choose...so I keeped both !
all three are 25.5 scale.

I use .13s and play strong...so they sound good...to me....

Last edited by vc-plays; 02-01-2020 at 09:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion