The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Why don't you hop on a plane and head stateside and find out! I know you want to do another build at a shop, I can't give you that, but I can give you a Bruce Sexauer building seminar at no extra cost to you!

Yes, T-shirts will be medium B.I.G., large B.I.G., and big big B.I.G.
I can only dream of that bud!! At this stage at least!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 AM

That Zephyr is outrageous!

Would love to get my mitts on it...I'd bet its a little cannon!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for your artistry and for bringing pants!
I get to appreciate both of these things, on a daily basis, out in the shop...

The artistry is inspiring.....the pants I'm requiring

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
That Zephyr is outrageous!

Would love to get my mitts on it...I'd bet its a little cannon!
Hey, there is an 80% chance I have a Scottish couple coming to B.I.G., waiting to hear final decision, but hope on a plane, if all of you come I will order some haggis for y'all. Actually, there is a large Scottish community in the area. A lot settled there in the early 1800's.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hey, there is an 80% chance I have a Scottish couple coming to B.I.G., waiting to hear final decision, but hope on a plane, if all of you come I will order some haggis for y'all. Actually, there is a large Scottish community in the area. A lot settled there in the early 1800's.
I'm up for some haggis, Tom! And what's all this talk aboot pants? Wear your kilts!

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
I'm up for some haggis, Tom! And what's all this talk aboot pants? Wear your kilts!
Now that is a great idea (not the haggis). I have to look up my family's plaid again!!! I think I could rock a kilt.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Just noticed the cool fretboard inlays on the Zephyr!

So many awesome details!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hi, Tom, and everybody else groovin' on this thread. I've been a bit of a hermit lately, submerged pretty deep in various projects, getting ready for this show. I think it's time to post some photos of a couple of guitars I'll be showing at the Bowersox Invitational. Just so you guys know I haven't been slacking off (at least not too much). The photos are pre-finish, which I like to refer to as "tasteful nudes".

Both of the guitars I'm showing here are now in the final round of lacquer spraying, so I'm feeling a small measure of relief, with enough time to get these done and dialed in before the last minute.

First, a Quilted Maple/German Spruce Eclipse OM guitar. The bindings, bevels, bridge, fingerboard, and headstock plates are all Mexican Royal Ebony, aka Katalox. It's a 25.5" scale guitar, thirteen frets-to-body, with arm and rib bevels, dual side sound ports, and an Omega open headstock, which will be sporting a set of Schaller Grand Tune tuners.

I was actually going to give this guitar a transparent blue with black shading paint job, but decided against it after I sprayed the first base coats. The quilt figure on the back and sides is amazing, and the Maple has a reddish flash at some reflective angles, so I decided to keep it natural. Why mess with that! Wait till you see that quilt under lacquer!
Here are a couple more shots...

Next is a pretty high-end version of my Zephyr 00 model- a little guitar that punches above its weight class. This one has Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, a Bearclaw Sitka top from Alaska, and a lot of Macassar Ebony trim. I decided to give it the Pogoda style slotted headstock, which will also be fitted with some exotic looking Schaller Grand Tune tuners. I decided to give this one a scoop-cutaway.This guitar is a 25" scale, and will be optimized for fingerstyle and pick-style, if I have anything to say about it.

I used cross-grain Zebra Wood with thin red veneer lines for the purflings. Again, arm and rib bevels, and dual side sound ports. The ports on this guitar both have sliders, so they can be played open or closed. It's amazing how the pitch of the sound box tap tone changes, depending on the sound ports being open or closed. I expect this guitar to be a very versatile instrument that will offer a lot of options for recording with microphones.
The Brazilian Zephyr also comes with a custom Hoffee carbon fiber flight case.

Thanks for looking, everyone! I'll post more photos of these guitars before the show, when they are all done and ready for prime time. Now, I gotta go shoot the final coats of lacquer on these babies.
Oh yeah, you are not kidding!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Question. I realize pants are mandated for this function. Now I find Scottish kilts are acceptable. Have you and Kathy made a decision on underwear requierments considering the kilts?

Last edited by Jobe; 02-16-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Maybe Clean?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:44 AM

got off track. But the humanity....

Last edited by Jobe; 02-16-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 AM

While we are planning most aspects of the event to try and insure a successful weekend, I believe the clothing and social norm committee has elected to leave such choices to the individuals. Should either of you decide to come, we will allow you to make you own choices, but either way, clean would be preferred. We may need to set aside a special area for the kilt wearing folks to try out guitars should they choose the traditional attire.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
While we are planning most aspects of the event to try and insure a successful weekend, I believe the clothing and social norm committee has elected to leave such choices to the individuals. Should either of you decide to come, we will allow you to make you own choices, but either way, clean would be preferred. We may need to set aside a special area for the kilt wearing folks to try out guitars should they choose the traditional attire.
I propose...
...sitting facing the wall

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 02-16-2019, 12:44 PM

I think you should only have two rules: big belt buckles and chunky jewelry must be checked at the door. If they must have the belt to hold up the pants, then make pants optional.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:15 PM

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, here are a few pictures of just some of the guitars coming to B.I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer

I have finished the 2 Single 0's I plan to bring.

[img
http://mojoluthier.com/LP18/0-P/donefront1.jpg[/img]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop