The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Default Banjo Picks?

I'm going to try to learn bluegrass banjo. What would be some decent, but not to expensive picks. I would think i'd wear large ones since i have a pretty good size paws on me. Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 PM

That's like asking what guitar pick to use. (I'm being serious, not sarcastic.)

This'll give you an idea of the options:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/fingerpicks

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/thumbpicks
Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank,

Your answer is here : https://www.propik.com/
Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
That's like asking what guitar pick to use. (I'm being serious, not sarcastic.)

This'll give you an idea of the options:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/fingerpicks

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/thumbpicks
Maybe i should rephrase my question then. What do most use as a complete beginner banjo player just starting to learn? I know what i like in a guitar pick, but have no clue when it comes to picks to start attempting to learn how to play banjo. I'm pretty sure i'd take a large. If i learn i'll upgrade. Any suggestions for a complete newby ? Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
Maybe i should rephrase my question then. What do most use as a complete beginner banjo player just starting to learn? I know what i like in a guitar pick, but have no clue when it comes to picks to start attempting to learn how to play banjo. I'm pretty sure i'd take a large. If i learn i'll upgrade. Any suggestions for a complete newby ? Thanks
Okay, for bluegrass you want metal fingerpicks. Fingerpicks are uncomfortable at first, fact of life. This style is less uncomfortable than most:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/...ick-106284.htm

Thumbpicks for bluegrass are plastic (usually), these are as close to "the standard brand" as any, and, hey, not as painful as fingerpicks:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/...ck-ivoroid.htm

There is maybe slightly less contentiousness among BG banjo players regarding which is the "best" pick than among guitar players. Maybe. ("No! That's not the same nickel formulation as what Earl used!!!!" etc.) But at this point you'll be okay with what is suggested above.

You might check out the forums at banjohangout.org, they have a lot of useful information (and their fair share of the other kind).

PS- other places than Elderly carry these, I just used their site cause it came to mind first.

EDIT - Hey, ol' Earl is today's (01/11/2019) google doodle. How 'bout that!

Last edited by frankmcr; 01-11-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 PM

I would say +1 in general on the Acri finger picks, as they are way more comfortable than most, with pro-piks as a second choice. Honestly, all finger picks are terrible, though, and everyone's fingers are different so I'd want to find a place to try some on. That said, they're relatively cheap so if you don't like them you're not out a huge amount.

Thumb pick - The blue chip is IMO the most comfortable, but of course it is pricy like the guitar picks. Propik makes a decent thumb pick, or if you like to use hot water and bend the plastic, you can make the rest work OK as well. Again, I'd try a few on in person if you can.

My back story - I bought a banjo to learn, but just had cheap terrible finger picks and couldn't force myself to practice it. Got a dobro and decided to find some decent finger picks and now I am gradually improving with near daily practice. This is why I am a proponent of getting comfortable picks...