The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

My Martin CEO 8.2e came with these pins when I bought it. I have no idea of their effect on the tone, but it sure sounds nice as-is! I would probably not buy these pins unless I really had tone issues that only they might rectify. I can't imagine what those tone issues would be though...
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Interesting stuff, but that's more than I would spend on a set of bridge pins. As someone pointed out, moving your picking hand location has a great effect on the tone as well at no additional cost.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Interesting stuff, but that's more than I would spend on a set of bridge pins. As someone pointed out, moving your picking hand location has a great effect on the tone as well at no additional cost.
Of course picks and hand position are great determining factors. But it's hard to change balance and string inter-dependence and relationship with picks and position.

You're right... The pins are hugely expensive in a relative sense. But I'm glad that I tried them because it guided me to what I think my 910 needed, didn't fully get with the MLM's- but helped me determine that adding one more buffalo pin to the mix got me to a better sound. It surprised me a bit as my experience on other guitars was that the second pin in the low A in addition to the E did not produce optimal results.

I think that the Liquid Metal pins might be great for a lower priced guitar that tends to be overly bright and needs some help with volume. But I'm 98.9% sure that I'm going to return the pins. I've got one more guitar to try them with; my 614ce... but I'm not expecting to better it as it's pretty darn good as is (SUS 13's w/5+1 ebony/buffalo).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Update...

I couldn't send back the MLM pins without trying them in my 1972 Martin D35. After all, the are Martin pins.

Bottom line: Volume was the same, but the tone was not. The guitar became a whole lotta lifeless. A total fail.

My take on these pins after trying them in 3 guitars now is that they might be great for knocking down over-exuberant highs. In all cases the sound got warmer, but not where any of my guitars needed to go. They may be worth a try in less expensive guitars that might need an extra something, but I wouldn't make any guarantees.

One more thing... Mass. For the record and reference, here are the weight measurements for each of the bridge pins taken on a jewelry scale.

Bone pins: 1.20 grams
Ebony pins: 0.63 grams
Buffalo horn pins: 0.65 grams
African Blackwood: 0.66 grams
Martin Liquid Metal pins: 2.83 grams
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I wonder if the effect of the mlm pins is similar to brass pins.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Brass pins usually give the guitars a much more bright tone.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Brass pins usually give the guitars a much more bright tone.
I haven't tried brass, but of the reviews I've read, a majority who have tried them have reverted to whatever they were using before. With a $100 price tag on the MLM's I had to see what kind of fairy dust Martin sprinkled on them. I can see, based on how they are made, how there would be a premium markup. I think for some they may be worth a try- if you can return them for full refund. Of all the pins I've tried, I don't know if the disappointment is increased by the expectation, or I'm just gravely disappointed, especially because of the cost. I would be willing to bet that all those Martins that are being sold with these pins, that they will possibly/probably sound better with something else; probably bone.

What I'd also like to know is, of those who bought the Martin Titanium strings, how many are still using them, how long have you been using them, and have you or will you buy them again after trying them?
Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Of all the pins I've tried, I don't know if the disappointment is increased by the expectation, or I'm just gravely disappointed, especially because of the cost.
Two cheaper alternatives:
I currently have these on my Martin OMC-16. One fourth of the cost:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-of-6-SI...kAAOSwpdpVb6BH

Tisox makes these titanium bridge pins. A little less than half the cost:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TiSonix-Tit...53.m1438.l2649
Old 11-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Default IMPORTANT ADDENDUM- Found 1 guitar where they work!

I had pretty much given up hope that the Liquid Metal pins just weren't worth the effort, let alone the expense. I'd tried them on a Taylor 910, a Taylor 814ceDLX and a '72 Martin D35 with varying degrees of excitement from "meh to nope". I had one last acoustic hanging on the wall that begged to try the MLM's before packing them up and shipping them back; 2011 Taylor 614ce. I thought it important to include the year as Taylor has so many iterations of this model, all being almost radically different in each version.

The 614 has been strung with SUS .013-.0555's and the strings are old enough to show some darkening; I guess about 4 weeks now (?).

I played the 614 a bit, liked what I heard, so quickly popped in the MLM pins. I was certain of what I heard... BALANCE and DEPTH OF SOUND. Dark, but terrific sounding. Did it sound better than the 614 with my 5+1 pin configuration? I thought it sounded better and RICHER. Was it my imagination? So another quick swap back to the the 5+1 pins. It wasn't my imagination. The *tone* of the guitar overall didn't change. But what did change was the richness within it.

The only way I can describe the difference is that with the Ebony/Buffalo pins there were some overtones/harmonics that just sounded ever-so-slightly out of tune. And I don't think I would have been able to identify the problem had it not cleared up with the MLM pins. I had to confirm that I was hearing what I was hearing and put the MLM pins back in once again. Yes... Whatever it is, the sound IS richer and fuller. Did the pins cancel those undesired overtones/harmonics or just realign them? I can't tell which. But the guitar suddenly sounded noticeably more pleasant.

Will I keep the pins? An hour ago I would have clearly said no. It is entirely possible that I will change my mind. This 614 is an entirely different guitar than it was when I bought it (my first Taylor) 3 years ago.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:35 AM

£100 for an unproven product, hyped to the rafters? No thanks. Martin quite happily sell high end guitars which sound fantastic with stock plastic pins, and I'm not about to spend valuable time and money experimenting with something which may or may not work the way I want; and in any case any perceived changes they might make would likely be so minimal they could well be ascribed to other factors.

I'm all for innovation but I'm turned off immediately by anecdotal claims of 'the new best thing' from manufacturers.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:16 AM

I converted to metal bridge pins this year. I didn't like the way I could feel the heads of my plastic bridge pins when I palm mute and the fact they broke so easily. So I replaced them with some basic steel nails I found in my toolbox. Sounds nice and the heads of the nail sit flush with the top of the bridge so it's way more comfortable. Cheap experiment paid off. -Matt
Old 11-10-2019, 06:33 AM

I like your post on experimenting with new products. I purchased a set of Power Pins a few years ago. They were from, of all places, Costco on line at about half the going rate at the time. I tried them on three of my guitars. I reported they were nicely made and fit each guitar without problem. I listened and made recordings with my Olympus digital recorder, before/after on each one. They reduced the break angle on each guitar and I could only "believe" I could hear a bit more brightness on B and E strings. They appeared, at least to me, the answer to a question no one asked. The only real advantage they had were if they were used on a guitar ( my Alvarez/Yairi DY-71), that had pin holes that were a bit worn, they would hold strings in place better. Other than that, a nicely made product that really made no difference...at least to me. but I did try.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:16 AM

Default Martin Liquid Metal MLM Bridge Pins are Great!

Yes they are expensive. But I put a set of silver/red MLM pins into a 1967 Gibson L00 a week ago and noticed immediately a cleaner, concise ring to the notes. It could be subtle on some guitars, less so on others, but I've been playing for 5 decades and know improvement to tone when I hear it. More sustained, bell-like tones from the strings. If you're looking to squeeze everything you can out of your treasured axe(s), throw a set of these on and you'll be surprised at how much extra 'juice' you get. Kind of indescribable, but there. Getting another set for my 1951 Southern Jumbo. Will follow up with a report.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
Would my guitar sound better if it had bridge pins?
Probably would.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonian View Post
Yes they are expensive. But I put a set of silver/red MLM pins into a 1967 Gibson L00 a week ago and noticed immediately a cleaner, concise ring to the notes. It could be subtle on some guitars, less so on others, but I've been playing for 5 decades and know improvement to tone when I hear it. More sustained, bell-like tones from the strings. If you're looking to squeeze everything you can out of your treasured axe(s), throw a set of these on and you'll be surprised at how much extra 'juice' you get. Kind of indescribable, but there. Getting another set for my 1951 Southern Jumbo. Will follow up with a report.
Wow... I can't believe I started this thread so long ago. But since you're ressurected it, I thought I'd restate my thoughts on the MLM pins.

In terms of tonal improvement it's extremely hit or miss with these pins and if so tempted you have to actually try them in YOUR guitar. Of my six acoutics they sounded "yuck" in 5 of them and one of them, coincidentally the last guitar I tried them in was "ahhhh" (Taylor 614ce btw). In all guitars the results surprised me. I didn't expect them to sound that bad in most of my guitars and that good in the one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion