The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Revisited One-Year In: Emerald X-20 Transparent Green

About two weeks ago, I received my new Emerald X-20 Transparent Green carbon-fiber, acoustic-electric guitar from its maker in Ireland. Upon opening its Hiscox LiteFlite Hardshell Case, I found a beautifully sculptured acoustic guitar with its understated transparent-green tint finish highlighting its carbon-fiber weave. Being an auditorium-sized guitar, it has a much bigger acoustic tone than its comfortable size would visually suggest. Indeed, this guitar's tone compares favorably to my Taylor 717e Slope-Shoulder dreadnought but with more clarity of tone. There is nothing I can say to detract from the Emerald X-20's acoustic tone--It's Superb!

Now, moving on to its initial plugged-in amplified tone, the guitar's LR Baggs Element Active VTC system had a three-string signal output imbalance in that the 6th, 3rd, and 2nd strings weren't as loud as the other three. This disappointed me and the next day I removed the saddle and flattened its bottom and used my Stewart-MacDonald bridge-saddle-slot file to flatten the saddle slot's bottom. I removed about .005 inch off the saddle's bottom and about .003 inch off the saddle-slot bottom. Reassembling the system and plugging-in now rendered a really well-balanced and decent-sounding amplified output. This LR Baggs Element Active VTC system will work well with an LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI (which I've done), a ToneDexter, and any of the Fishman Aura Pedals. I still have to try the LR Baggs Element Active VTC system with my ToneDexter and Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

After owning a dozen RainSongs, and three Composite Acoustic carbon guitars, I'm really happy with my first Emerald carbon guitar and maybe another Emerald model is in my future? Thanks for reading my review of the Emerald X-20!

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-21-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Congrats on the new guitar. I describe the Emerald X20 as the J45 of the carbon fiber world, the workhorse. It can do everything well. Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Congrats on the new guitar. I describe the Emerald X20 as the J45 of the carbon fiber world, the workhorse. It can do everything well. Enjoy!
Thanks! Yes, indeed, I could go forth on any stage, anywhere with this guitar and feel comfortable in doing so!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new X20 and welcome to the Emerald Family....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Yabut....why is it so greeeen??

Congrats on your new acquisition. Stunning!
Old 11-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yabut....why is it so greeeen??

Congrats on your new acquisition. Stunning!
Begosh and Begorrah! Steelvibe, Me Lad, It's Made In Ireland by Leprechauns and that be the reason for its greenery! Serially, (and I'm five bottles of Guinness in me Lad!), it only appears so green when under bright lights and is much more subdued in its greenery when in the real world.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-03-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Begosh and Begorrah! Steelvibe, Me Lad, It's Made In Ireland by Leprechauns and that be the reason for its greenery! Serially, (and I'm five bottles of Guinness in me Lad!), it only appears so green when under bright lights and is much more subdued in its greenery when in the real world.
Sláinte and congrats me lad!

I drink to your health when I'm with you,

I drink to your health when alone,

I drink to your health so often,

I'm starting to worry about my own XD

Old 11-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Congrats, I think you might need to change the screen name from * Sprucetop* to Carbontop. ( just a little humor)
Old 11-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Excellent purchase. I have a green X7 (smaller size) and just love it. With humidity dropping like a paralyzed falcon this week, it's awesome to leave the carbon fiber guitar out with no worries, ready to play anytime.

Enjoy your new X20 - it's an awesome model!
Old 11-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X20, IMHO the best of the Emerald line! I've owned 2 X20's (one a full custom woody) an X10 and two X7's, one original version and one a full custom 2.0. Great guitars for sure but the X20 is the best. It's the 000-18 of the line. The Swiss Army Knife. It does it all.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations. I had an X20 for a while. Ended up selling it after I got a new model X7 - just very rarely found myself reaching for the X20 after that. But it was an oustanding guitar. I seem to like 'em a little darker / warmer, which i found the X7 to be (and I understand the X30 is in spades), but if you like it's tonal balance, the X20 is about as good as it gets...

Enjoy!

-Ray
Old 11-03-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I seem to like 'em a little darker / warmer, which i found the X7 to be (and I understand the X30 is in spades), but if you like it's tonal balance, the X20 is about as good as it gets...

Enjoy!

-Ray
You find the X7 a "darker" sounding guitar that the X20? I'm like you- that is why I elected for the D Jr. 2 sapele top over spruce and the OF660 is far warmer of a guitar than the Shorty I previously owned.

I'm very curious about this as I'm more interested in the specs of the X7 but thought I would prefer the tone of the X20. The X7 must be a monster sounding guitar for it's size!
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Nice, congrats. I like the color.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Lookin' good! Congratulations!
Old 11-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You find the X7 a "darker" sounding guitar that the X20? I'm like you- that is why I elected for the D Jr. 2 sapele top over spruce and the OF660 is far warmer of a guitar than the Shorty I previously owned.

I'm very curious about this as I'm more interested in the specs of the X7 but thought I would prefer the tone of the X20. The X7 must be a monster sounding guitar for it's size!
I don’t know if my reaction is typical or if my X7 is typical, or if my X20 was typical - sounds like there’s been some variability with recent X20s. But, yeah, I find my X7 warmer and darker than the X20 I had. The X20 I owned had a level of “zingy-ness” for lack of a better term, that I was always trying to tame. The X7 was more to my taste from the first minute I played it. It’s not louder than the X20, although it’s close to as loud, so not sure if it’s “monster sounding”, but with its offset soundhole, it’s plenty loud at the players ear.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber