The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
This is right in my wheelhouse at present. I traded a Bowerman era Breedlove Revival DR a few years ago. There’s another available locally and I'm nearly ready for the next purchase. Loved everything about it except the D ergonomics. Fantastic neck, flawlessly constructed, and - while I get that it’s not for everyone - the sort of West Coast riff on an East Coast melody in terms of tone rings my bell.

So, the question before the committee (of one) is, do you try and get along with the big body, knowing all the good that comes with, or do you keep pressing forward? Leaning toward the latter, but the undertow is strong.
FWIW, my first guitar was a dreadnought, and the first guitar I ever really loved was a dreadnought (a Guild back in the 80s that my brother owned). But then I "moved on" toward smaller body guitars, and started playing more fingerstyle, and I kinda thought my dreadnought days were behind me.

But a few weeks ago, I started itching for something more 'strummable,' and something with that big, piano-like bass, and I realized that it's a bit ridiculous that a guitar-addict like myself owns 25 guitars and not a single dreadnought, so I decided to "look into" getting a Martin.

Long story short, I've now got a D-35 and D-42 and I can't get enough of them. Sure, they're massive compared to my other guitars, but there's just something about wrapping my arms around a dreadnought and feeling that massive bass and hearing that shimmer that brings me back. So, I guess that's a big 'YES BUY IT' vote from me.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 AM

I count 4 guitars that just shocked me with their sound. 2 were handmade and well beyond my means. The other 2 were manufactured: one was a friend's and the other displayed in the Martin museum (as a new guitar - and not for sale, I asked). I have wondered if i had taken them home and played them for a long time, next to what I own now, if they would continue to stand out so much in my mind. I suspect not so much.

At guitar shows, I have played a variety of really great instruments. But there you compete with background noise and have only a limited time to assess them and my suspicion is that I could not trust my judgement in such surroundings.

My current thought now is that I should sell several, keeping just 2 plus 2 that fill a special niche, and wait to see if something really special appears. But I can't bring myself to readily part with any as each one is special in its own way. And then I have this deep suspicion that if I found "the one" it would not be so special after I brought it home and played it longer. Not that I wouldn't like to find out.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

For me, it is my Taylor GC7.

About ten years ago I was shopping for a mid-range guitar, coming back to playing after along hiatus. I tried a Taylor in GC and instantly fell in love with the sound, the feel, the responsiveness. I decided then, and there, that I would get a Taylor. I knew what I wanted but couldn't articulate it and I shopped and shopped. I stumbled upon this guitar that seemed good on paper so I took a chance. When it arrived I was overwhelmed at how good it was.

I personalized it a bit (hardware changes, TRC, custom armrest setup etc.).

It's gotten better over time and I've bonded with it even more strongly.

Quite simply an amazing guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC7.jpg (47.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg taylor christmas tree 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 173 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-15-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
For me, it is my Taylor GC7.

About ten years ago I was shopping for a mid-range guitar, coming back to playing after along hiatus. I tried a Taylor in GC and instantly fell in love with the sound, the feel, the responsiveness. I decided then, and there, that I would get a Taylor. I knew what I wanted but couldn't articulate it and I shopped and shopped. I stumbled upon this guitar that seemed good on paper so I took a chance. When it arrived I was overwhelmed at how good it was.

I personalized it a bit (hardware changes, TRC, custom armrest setup etc.).

It's gotten better over time and I've bonded with it even more strongly.

Quite simply an amazing guitar.
You need to get that hose out of the background, Fazool.
scott
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
scott
Yeah I should have taken a better glamour shot - now that the leaves are changing maybe I can get a nice Autumn pic.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 AM

I've been through a lot of guitars over the years, but now I am settling in with the one that I think I will have for what remains of this trip around the sun...my lowly but lovely Taylor 314ce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup small.JPG (52.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg overall small.JPG (63.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg back small.JPG (52.0 KB, 160 views)
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 10-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

My Waterloo WL-S Deluxe is "the" guitar for me. I've had $6,000 Santa Cruz guitars in a misguided search for "the" guitar for me. There are no $6,000 guitars that are "the" guitar for me. If there was I'd buy it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I have three nice guitars. I wouldn't consider any of them "the one". My HD28 is a cannon but it can be too big for my shoulder most of the time. My CEO7 is awesome but can be plinky sometimes on the high strings. MY Eastman E20OM-TC is beautiful and easy to play but can be a little too soft for my liking. I'm thinking an actual long scale OM may be needed in my not too distant future.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

These two are definitely The One;

The one on the right is a six-year old Custom Shop OM-18. I've had it for a year. It was one of the second order of 12 by Mandolin Bros, the legendary guitar store on Staten Island. It's got a full, rich tone that can hang with the dreads.

On the left is a two-month-old Custom Shop J-17. It's a shockingly great guitar. It's the only one ever made and it's new so every day the sound just keeps getting bigger. And it's still got that New Magohany Smell when I take it out of the case.

I'm not going to be foolish like some of the others in this thread. I'm never selling either one of the two guitars that are the One!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
scott
I thought it was a really big Dampit...
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I thought it was a really big Dampit...
you just won !

Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 PM

I'd say my Collings 01 is the one. When it was shipped to me, it arrived with a crack from the bridge down the center seam. However, the tone just brings me to my knees every time I or others play it to the point where I forget the crack is even there. I know it would take a hit in the re-sale market due to the crack, but I don't intend on ever parting ways with it.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 PM

I didn't buy this one, and I'll never sell it. My mentor Don played this for 40 years throughout his whole professional music career.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
These two are definitely The One;

The one on the right is a six-year old Custom Shop OM-18. I've had it for a year. It was one of the second order of 12 by Mandolin Bros, the legendary guitar store on Staten Island. It's got a full, rich tone that can hang with the dreads.

On the left is a two-month-old Custom Shop J-17. It's a shockingly great guitar. It's the only one ever made and it's new so every day the sound just keeps getting bigger. And it's still got that New Magohany Smell when I take it out of the case.

I'm not going to be foolish like some of the others in this thread. I'm never selling either one of the two guitars that are the One!
I'm a bit envious.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Yeah I should have taken a better glamour shot - now that the leaves are changing maybe I can get a nice Autumn pic.
I'll be waiting...
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion