The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The comments that i found discouraging were not directed toward me, if I remember correctly, but were a general disparagement of the kind of luthier who would find the time to participate is a forum such as this, and the clear suggestion that they would necessarily be second rate as compared to a more serious luthier, who would not be so distracted.
I think I remember what post you are referring to and I agree I would not have used the same words. That being said, I have met that member in person and even had dinner with her. She's super nice and respectful -- and I'm sure she didn't mean that people who spend time on forums have nothing else better to do (since that would include her of course).

Quote:
A number of examples of those more serious luthiers were given, the usual suspects. I have seen this come up more that once over the years, but never so succinctly. I did not take it personally, but more as some writing on the wall. I do not now recall the thread I (last) saw this in, but it is around here somewhere.
This happens to the best of us and I surely commiserate. A few years ago I posted a sound clip that was poorly received by one of the senior members here. I remember the harsh words but the context is very blurry.

Quote:
I know that there is a strong tendency to not expect greatness in your own neighborhood, to discount the familiar as most likely to be normal, to expect to have to work hard to find that which is extraordinary.
Even if you post here frequently, I certainly think you build a great guitar and don't feel any less about you because of it.

There are plenty of build threads from other sponsors as well so I certainly wouldn't view forum participation negatively.

We could always do a survey -- but I'm quite sure that if the "usual suspects" showed up on the forum, people would be super excited and their sales and reputation wouldn't suffer.

Now, if they got involved in controversial topics or took shots at each other, that would be something else. I think that is the primary reason why some luthiers choose to stay away from the forum.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

To imagine that I have any disrespect for for the builders mentioned is exactly that, to imagine. If I did have such disrespect, I would NEVER mention them by name in a public forum!

I have noticed that some people take criticism as disrespect (not that I in any way did so in the case mentioned), and that too is not how I see it, if anything it is exactly the opposite. Critique is a major tool for improvement, and I wield that tool mercilessly in my own shop. Outside of my shop it has often worked out poorly to break it out, but never should it be taken as disrespect. In many worlds it is considered an honor to be noticed by the knowledgeable veteran.

Enough philosophy, my next post will have pictures instead.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 PM

Bruce,

There's a long history of critical thinkers being punished for deigning to challenge others' views - in the literature, going back at least to Socrates' death sentence for this behavior. Don't let the petulant ignoramuses who seek little more than vapid affirmation get you down. Of course, keep the photos of your wonderful work coming. But I, for one, hope you don't let up on your probing, philosophical engagement on the forum.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:

The other reason I have been a bit scarce is I am still smarting from posts I have read in the forum suggesting that the really good builders are spending their time building, and insinuating that the luthiers who spend any time in the forums are essentially desperate losers without enough to do. Personally, I have enough time in the day for more than one pursuit, and I enjoy the interaction I get here in the forums. I also consider it good citizenship to share my knowledge freely, as I have now done for years here and in other venues. It really gives me pause to see that a number of people actually disrespect me and the peers who take the time to participate here. Sad.
That was why I shut down the thread about the fan frets, because I felt a few people gave you some poorly veiled backhanded compliments and wanted to show my support for you and what you do to share your expertise with those of us who appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Critique is a major tool for improvement, and I wield that tool mercilessly in my own shop. Outside of my shop it has often worked out poorly to break it out, but never should it be taken as disrespect. In many worlds it is considered an honor to be noticed by the knowledgeable veteran.
I agree that critique is a major tool for improvement -- but if I wanted to really help a luthier, I'd contact him personally rather than post on a public forum.

As you know, the reputation of a builder is very important. A luthier with a "successful" image will most likely make more sales on the basis of his reputation. Oftentimes, a long wait list and "successful" image mean a luthier can sell his guitars for more money -- not a bad thing.

I'm not sure how helpful you were being to your friend Jason when you said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer
I know Jason moderately well, and unless something has changed radically since our last conversation his success may be a bit overstated.
OK, so his success may be overstated -- but even if it is, I frankly don't see how Jason could be "honoured" to witness one of his peers go way out of his way to curb the enthusiasm of his fan base.

I also vividly remember how you were "helpful" when I posted one of my early recordings (way before the Olsons).

A standard Martin was all I could afford (a gift from my dad actually). I was new at fingerstyle.

To this day, I'm still thankful for your "help".

Quote:
You asked, so I'll tell.

I don't like the sound I hear. It sounds modern to me if I had to say. That is because it sounds compressed and mid-rangy. The bass fails to have clarity, and aside from the ring-y background "strum", the trebles are not a complete sequence of overtones and contain a "hard" sound which to me is very distracting. I would wager that no solid wood Martin sounds like this.

Two caveats: 1, I am listening through a $100 Altec computer system, though it does have a sub-woofer. And 2, I am spoiled rotten.

God help me if I built the guitar I heard. Then I will have to blame the microphone and the player, which does make all the difference.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I agree that critique is a major tool for improvement -- but if I wanted to really help a luthier, I'd contact him personally rather than post on a public forum.

As you know, the reputation of a builder is very important. A luthier with a "successful" image will most likely make more sales on the basis of his reputation. Oftentimes, a long wait list and "successful" image mean a luthier can sell his guitars for more money -- not a bad thing.

I'm not sure how helpful you were being to your friend Jason when you said the following:

OK, so his success may be overstated -- but even if it is, I frankly don't see how Jason could be "honoured" to witness one of his peers go way out of his way to curb the enthusiasm of his fan base.

I also vividly remember how you were "helpful" when I posted one of my early recordings (way before the Olsons).

A standard Martin was all I could afford (a gift from my dad actually). I was new at fingerstyle.

EXTREMELY well put Joe. I don't think I could add much of anything to the way you laid it out.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today is my Birthday, and you cannot imagine how charmed I am by these last two posts!

I sent the latest JB-Uke customer these pictures yeasterday, and seeing them again today I thought SOME of you might like them as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Happy birthday, Bruce! It must be awesome having your birthday on the most sacred day of the year. Sláinte!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Today is my Birthday, and you cannot imagine how charmed I am by these last two posts!
Well have a happy birthday! Nice work on the Uke! Am I understanding that a regular uke is strung a certain way but a tenor uke is strung like the first 4 strings of a guitar?

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-17-2014, 03:52 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Happy birthday! Today is my Son's birthday. His mom had a c section around 8am. Since she and I are both Irish, it seemed apropos.

As far as the comments go, I'd like you to know I always respect your opinion and take it in the way it was intended.

As far as the ukes go, I am in love with the shape of the (baritone?) uke in the last few photos. If you up scaled that a little could you make a Terz with the same shape?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the B'day wishes.

The JB-Uke is a sort of tencert at this point as it is half way between a concert and a tenor, having 16" strings rather that 15 or 17. Actually, being a MuliScale, this one is about 15 15/16 x 16 3/16, which can shift a bit depending on exactly where I put the bridge I haven't made yet. This design, as many of you surely notice, is a miniaturization of my JB guitar design that more than a few of you own examples of.

I have got a conversation going for a Baritone, but I suspect it will be traditional nylon strings. For those of us coming from steel strung guitars the steel string Uke is a no brainer, but for traditionalists it can appear to be a travesty. I hope to get a chance to make a JB-Baritone Uke eventually.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

Whatever issues/history/beef you have with Bruce...I don't see your need to constantly air them on the forum.

The hypocrisy of your post is rather interesting.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Hola Bruce,

Cumpleaños feliz, joyeux anniversaire, and happy birthday...

Hope you are having a well-deserved day off and a third cup of coffee to make the day that little bit more exciting. The uke looks great.

Many happy returns, berf
Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the B'day wishes.

The JB-Uke is a sort of tencert at this point as it is half way between a concert and a tenor, having 16" strings rather that 15 or 17. Actually, being a MuliScale, this one is about 15 15/16 x 16 3/16, which can shift a bit depending on exactly where I put the bridge I haven't made yet. This design, as many of you surely notice, is a miniaturization of my JB guitar design that more than a few of you own examples of.

I have got a conversation going for a Baritone, but I suspect it will be traditional nylon strings. For those of us coming from steel strung guitars the steel string Uke is a no brainer, but for traditionalists it can appear to be a travesty. I hope to get a chance to make a JB-Baritone Uke eventually.
I have yet to play a high-end ukulele. I have a cheapo that I bought on my honeymoon...a tenor.

I've intentionally avoided playing the Collings ukulele's that I see. I'm afraid I'd want one!

Cool stuff, Bruce!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Whatever issues/history/beef you have with Bruce...I don't see your need to constantly air them on the forum.

The hypocrisy of your post is rather interesting.
+1. It adds nothing but negative vibes to the universe.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop