The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 AM

Smile Remember When - Alan Jackson **Help**

Can some one please explain (in simple terms) the picking pattern to this song for me. I know the chords (G Em C D / A Fm D E) but for the life of me can not work out what strings are to be picked by what finger in order.

Many thanks

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick73 View Post
Can some one please explain (in simple terms) the picking pattern to this song for me. I know the chords (G Em C D / A Fm D E) but for the life of me can not work out what strings are to be picked by what finger in order.

Many thanks

Dave
Judging from this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnM99Z6QGZ8
- he's using a flatpick and arpeggiating the chords. It's pretty random (he's got at least 2 other guitars and a mandolin behind him, so he's keeping it minimal), but it's basically picking the root note first, then a higher bass note (4th or 3rd string), then a reverse arpeggio (upstrokes) of the top 2 or 3 strings.
This sort of thing:

G
---------3---------------
----------(0)----------
-------------0-----------
-----0-------------------
-------------------------
-3-----------------------

It's clearer on the studio recording, but is still fairly ad lib (the mandolin obscures some of the quieter notes). The pattern is not exactly the same each time, just roughly similar in shape and rhythm. It doesn't matter exactly which strings you pick after the first two - even the 2nd one could be any of the middle strings, only the opening root note is really important.
The main four are slow 8th notes and the one in brackets is an optional 16th in between. Other passing 16ths are put in in other places sometimes.
It's G-Em-C-D (most of the way), and each chord is two beats (four 8th notes). As long as you start with two bass notes on each chord as above (low and high), then fill in the remaining 2 8ths how you like (with or without 16ths), it will sound fine. What's important is to keep the rhythm solid, be positive about those first 2 8ths at least.

Although he does it with a flatpick, you can do it fingerstyle, using thumb on the first 2 notes then finger(s) on the next ones; or (depending on your preferred technique) thumb and index on the first two, and other finger(s) on the higher notes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write