The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Thank you JonPR, differentiating those fingerstyles is extremely helpful. It makes more sense to what I am actually doing.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
Thank you JonPR, differentiating those fingerstyles is extremely helpful. It makes more sense to what I am actually doing.
I meant to add another interesting distinction, which is between the way Paul McCartney and John Lennon played fingerstyle.
Donovan taught them both in India, and Lennon copied Donovan's style exactly - a clean alternating bass style (check out Julia and Dear Prudence). McCartney - who Donovan describes as paying less close attention, while Lennon was more focussed - played in a looser, sketchier way, combining rough fingerpicking with finger strums - as in Blackbird and Mother Nature's Son.

Donovan's own influences, of course, go back to Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, and (naturally) Dylan.

Last edited by JonPR; 02-01-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM

My first fingerstyle pieces took 6 months or more... But they were Leo Kottke tunes. After a few years you learn enough tricks and the Dylan type tunes take a day to learn. So don't be afraid, bury yourself and jump into the deep end.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm using Mark Hanson's Travis Picking book. My problem is getting things up to speed, but I will say the book is clear and easy to follow.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write