The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Default No more Newtone Strings?

Dang... I was about to try these on the recommendation of others on the forum.... but this is from the "Strings By Mail" website:

Newtone Acoustic Guitar Strings
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Newtone acoustic guitar strings are no longer available to be sold in the United States.

Anyone know why?
Just curious.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 PM

Yup. Newtone at the present time does not have a U.S. distributor. You have to buy direct from the factory in England. I do have an idea as to what the issue is but I am not going to get into it.

Last edited by zombywoof; 10-23-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:43 PM

GUITAR GALLERY in Nashville is the Exclusive USA Agent for NEWTONE STRINGS from their website. Expensive but a good product.

https://www.guitargal.com/collection...-wound-strings
Old 10-23-2021, 01:48 PM

I've ordered from Guitar Gallery and also direct. No issues ordering direct other than they sell out often but you can get on their notification list which works well.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Two weeks ago, I received in the mail my Newtone Strings Masterclass phos. bonze, which I ordered online at newtonestrings.com. Fast shipping from U.K. to Virginia in about ten days.
Robert A.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
GUITAR GALLERY in Nashville is the Exclusive USA Agent for NEWTONE STRINGS from their website. Expensive but a good product.

https://www.guitargal.com/collection...-wound-strings
I guess I was behind the times. Good to know they are again available in the U.S. That markup though is pretty hefty.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info! Yay Guitar Gallery!
Old 10-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

$12.98 shipping to AZ.....dang ! THink I'll have to pass on trying these.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Guitar Gal has an issue with the shipping cost on their website and are aware.
Newtones can be ordered at a reasonable price directly if you are willing to wait a month between deliveries. Actually I found that cycle perfect when I was using them. I'd receive a set and then order a new one that would arrive a month later, about the same time I was ready for a change. Neil is very easy to work with.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I get mine direct from the UK and the shipping is typically around $5 all the way down here!

Phenomenal strings, and I've found the makers great to deal with.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

I have no inside information, but to me, as someone who hasn’t been living under a rock in recent times, it seems very likely that it’s down to difficulties in maintaining production volumes during the past 18 months of the world-wide Covid-19 pandemic.

Newtone Strings are a small (2 or 3 man) company operating from a small industrial unit in Matlock, Derbyshire, UK. They aren’t a ‘factory’ in the true sense of the word, just a small-scale production facility.

Here in the UK, over this past period, companies have been seriously affected by long-term closures due to Covid-19 and, even when re-opened, they have been subject to social-distancing measures, and to enforced staff-isolation during periods of infection. Add to that the current world-wide problems with the sourcing and shipping of raw materials, and transport issues with finished goods - in particular, international shipments - and we have had a large number of small companies finding themselves having extreme difficulties to even stay in business.

My guess is that Newtone have decided that they need to concentrate their efforts on supplying their home market first and foremost under the extreme trading circumstances of the past year-and-a-half. That’s just a guess, I may be right, I may be wildly off-beam, but to a guy who actually takes notice of the news world-wide, it seems a likely scenario.

EDIT: One other factor that might possibly be influencing the situation with Newtone Strings in the US (and, for that matter, Hiscox Cases, who have also withdrawn from general trade in the US) could be the on-going difficulties with the negotiations between the UK and US governments of a formal international trade deal. However, that may be straying into the political arena, so I will refrain from further comment.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 10-25-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 AM

Last week, I received a set of Newtone strings I had ordered from their website. (I’m in Texas}. It took a little bit, but the transaction was easy.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I haven't ordered them in a while but when I do, I order directly from them. They are good at communicating if there might be a long than usually expected delivery time for shipments to the US. Great product with customer service to match. Worth the price and the extra time to get them IMHO. Best round core stings that I have found for my ears and my guitars.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-25-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
...My guess is that Newtone have decided that they need to concentrate their efforts on supplying their home market first and foremost under the extreme trading circumstances of the past year-and-a-half. That’s just a guess, I may be right, I may be wildly off-beam, but to a guy who actually takes notice of the news world-wide, it seems a likely scenario.
Good point about COVID, although the pull back from US distribution (apart from GG) actually happened before COVID. I am pleased that they still happily supply outside the UK via their online shop, which I've been using for more than five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I haven't ordered them in a while but when I do, I order directly from them. They are good at communicating if there might be a long than usually expected delivery time for shipments to the US. Great product with customer service to match. Worth the price and the extra time to get them IMHO. Best round core stings that I have found for my ears and my guitars.

Best,
Jayne
Jayne, have you tried their double wound strings? For a COVID treat I bought a set and put them on my ‘E’ and am super impressed!
Old 10-25-2021, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Just placed an order with Newtone for 15 sets of Masterclass Roundcoress.
Yes you've guessed it, Newtone strings are my favorite!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion