The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 03-22-2021, 10:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
For a sound hole pick up it sounds really good. Eddie HaddadÂ’s comparison to his stock pick up (I assume it was a UST) really highlights the sound quality of the Mojotone. I think itÂ’s an improvement over most any UST and other sound hole pickups IÂ’ve youtubed. Seems like it would make a good addition for a dual source set up

Without giving up any proprietary information can you explain how the Mojotone does what it does (sound more natural then other sound hole pickups.
Thanks for the kind words. In a nutshell, I designed the pickup to have a frequency range so high that it's basically outside of normal human hearing range. That way I had a nice and flat EQ to work with on the pre-amp side to get the EQ exactly where I wanted it. I also designed the pickup to react like a microphone and incorporate the guitar's natural frequencies through the pickup. Sorry, it's hard for me to explain without giving away too much proprietary information I hope this helps!

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 03-22-2021, 10:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
How does it sound with Martin retros ?
Good you asked that. I haven't tried myself but a customer recently left this review in regards to those exact strings....

First of all, before I forget, Martin Retro, monel strings work exceptionally well with this p/u. I think only bronze is mentioned by Mojotone, and I took the chance and got it anyway but Monels work fine. I'm a songwriter and a rhythm guitar player and I play amplified every Friday night with a band I've been with for about 15 years now. I ended up putting this in a 2007 Gibson J-185 TV after first trying it in a Larrivee LS-03. I mostly like to play mahogany or maple guitars for the cutting tone I get and for the better recording properties and the LS is Peruvian walnut back and sides and I found it to be just too muddy in an amplified band setting. That's not the pickup's fault, just the attributes of that particular guitar and my situation. In the J185 the NC-1 is just stellar. Unbelievably quiet and crystal clear and powerful when cranked up. I play all kinds of rhythm and do a lot of percussive things and all the different techniques and tones I've developed over the years come through this pickup without a hitch. It plays through my Marshall ASD100 acoustic amp like a dream but I wanted this pickup to play it through a VOX AV15 electric guitar amp (and it does that well too) as sometimes I've been searching for a sound close to electric but on an acoustic side. Sort of an early rockabilly thing is about the only way I can describe it; an edge but not too much of an edge and only when I would dig for it. I had a Lawrence A345 humbucker in the J185 just previously and it sometimes got close but the mounting system was too primitive to keep the B and high E strings tamed enough for consistency. I figured since Mojotone was an electric guitar pickup company this single coil design might have promise along with more modern features. It is a great pickup and I would recommend it highly. I'm very happy with the NC-1 and look forward to playing with it and seeing what more it's got to offer. It's fun, you know. Easy to install and looks good too.

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 03-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Congrats for a great review from Acoustic Guitar magazine!

Review: Mojotone’s Quiet Coil NC-1 Acoustic Guitar Pickup Avoids Common Tonal Pitfalls
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 03-24-2021, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Congrats for a great review from Acoustic Guitar magazine!

Review: Mojotone’s Quiet Coil NC-1 Acoustic Guitar Pickup Avoids Common Tonal Pitfalls
Thanks! We are honored to be recognized by such a great magazine!

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 03-31-2021, 06:02 PM

This pickup sounds excellent. I am typically not a fan of magnetic or sound hole acoustic pickups, but I can't find any fault with the sound. Well done!
Old 04-08-2021, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This pickup sounds excellent. I am typically not a fan of magnetic or sound hole acoustic pickups, but I can't find any fault with the sound. Well done!
Thank you for the kind words!

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 06-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I have been (and am) a user of not only the K&K Pure Mini, which I have in two guitars, but also the L.R Baggs M1 Passive and Active in a few others.

I have been agonizing over a pickup for my wonderful new 000-28 for the past month. I finally bit the bullet and bought your NC1 from you in Reverb last night. Looking forward to trying it out - if it works as well as I hope, I am throwing caution to the wind and will gig with my new "nice guitar".

Cheers...
Old 06-17-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I have been (and am) a user of not only the K&K Pure Mini, which I have in two guitars, but also the L.R Baggs M1 Passive and Active in a few others.

I have been agonizing over a pickup for my wonderful new 000-28 for the past month. I finally bit the bullet and bought your NC1 from you in Reverb last night. Looking forward to trying it out - if it works as well as I hope, I am throwing caution to the wind and will gig with my new "nice guitar".

Cheers...
I think you'll like it. The nice thing about this pickup is you can put it in to try it without doing anything to your guitar, just hang the cable out the front. Installs in 1 minute.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks I hope so. I plan on trying it out at a gig with the temporary install, and seeing how I like it before doing anything permanent.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Cheers...
Look forward to your review Sal, I've been thinking about the NC-1.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-18-2021, 07:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Sal! Yes please let us know what you think after spending some time with it. If you have any questions or concerns too let me know!

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 07-11-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks I hope so. I plan on trying it out at a gig with the temporary install, and seeing how I like it before doing anything permanent.
So how did it go? What are your thoughts on the NC-1?
Old 07-13-2021, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

I have gigs 7/18 and 7/22…. I’ll let you know! I’ll play it through a Zoom AC-2 into a big PA system. I will report back.

In my basement I have tried it through the Zoom into a Loudbox Mini… settings flat. Sounds great.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Smile Humbucker model?

Is there a MojoTone humbucker soundhole pup?

If so I can’t find any info…

If not, maybe in the works? I really don’t like any noise, and some venues I play have terrible wiring. There is enough noise there already! Haha

The videos above do sound sweet thru my studio cans!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-19-2023, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Is there a MojoTone humbucker soundhole pup?

If so I can’t find any info…

If not, maybe in the works? I really don’t like any noise, and some venues I play have terrible wiring. There is enough noise there already! Haha

The videos above do sound sweet thru my studio cans!

Cheers

Paul
Hey Paul, I don't work at Mojotone, but i do use the NC-1 pickup
There is a passive humbucker.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...undhole-pickup

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace