The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Will putting electric guitar strings on a acoustic guitar play like an electric?

Iv got some hand issues and need something easier to play. Iv set my action incredible low on my marton d1 and am wondering what the effect of putting electric strings on it and if it would play like an electric guitar. This is only playability, not sound at all.

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2022, 11:22 AM

It might play like an electric.

It might also sound like garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-16-2022, 11:27 AM

Ages ago I put a set of 9s on my acoustic guitar. Bends were really slick, but overall it sounded AWEFUL.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-16-2022, 11:33 AM

In my much younger days I sometimes did things like boil strings to save money or put Ernie Ball slinkys on my acoustic guitar because that was all I had around. 10s actually didn’t sound as bad as you would think.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:40 AM

wont give the results you like

you could get a lighter set of strings. (10s??)

the lighter strings will not produce the volume and drive the top so you might be missing some of that, but they will be easier to play.

on the otherhand, lets say if you use an acoustic amp and I'm not saying you need one, but if you have one and rarely use,, the lighter string gauge effect on the guitars tone would be less noticeable

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Have you tried any Extra Light 10-47 acoustic strings? I know Martin, Elixir and D'Addario (and probably other) make them.

Failing that, I don't see why you couldn't put a set of 09-42 electric strings on, but I suspect it will be very uninspiring to play that way. And the intonation probably won't be all that great, but I suspect you're not playing way up the neck anyway if you have hand problems.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:00 PM

Maybe you could tune down a 1/2 step?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:40 PM

I can help you out here - I've long been on a search for acoustic strings that will be easier on my hands.

There is a definite trade off in using lighter gauge strings. It's absolutely true that the lighter strings will not drive the guitar top as much as heavier strings. This is really ok with me though, the sound is fine, and if the guitar has a pickup and is plugged in, really not a problem.

Also, with lighter gauge strings, it is possible to press a string in a chord too hard and make a note go sharp. It's an easy playing adjustment though.

And lastly, lighter gauge strings won't pull on the guitar neck as much as heavier strings, so a small neck adjustment may be needed.

Here's what I'm currently using.

One of my guitars has GHS Silk and Steel strings, "Light" gauge, from 10-42. These are "round core" strings, instead of "hex core", and are said to be lower tension than hex core. A couple of other gauges are available.

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/ghs-str...ngs-10-42.html

I really like these. The "silk and steel" will sound a little mellower than phosphor bronze strings, which I like, but is a personal preference.

On another guitar, I have GHS "Thin Core Phosphor Bronze" strings, "Ultra Light" gauge, 10-41. These are also "round core" strings, and said to be lower tension than hex core strings. I like these also, and they have the familiar phosphor bronze sound. A couple of other gauges are available.

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/ghs-tcb...ght-10-41.html

And, yes! - you'll be able to bend strings very much like when playing your electric guitar.

The good news is, trying different strings is easy and not expensive.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Iv got some hand issues and need something easier to play. Iv set my action incredible low on my marton d1 and am wondering what the effect of putting electric strings on it and if it would play like an electric guitar. This is only playability, not sound at all.

Thoughts?
If you literally mean "electric" strings then no; it'll make almost no difference just going from the same gauge Acoustic strings to Electric strings. If you are saying "electric" strings but are really thinking lighter guage strings, then yes it'll play easier.

You could combine two good pieces of advice others gave you: (1) go with a very light gauge of acoustic strings (say a .010 set) and if that's not enough, (2) tune down a half-step to ease the tension. If that's not enough, then yeah you could go to an electric .009 set but personally that'd be my last resort.

I take you at your word that you're not worried about how it sounds.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

some very "sound" advice...yes im a punny guy.

lighter gauge acoustic strings
tune down full step & capo
use low tension strings- like newtone low tensions
silk and steels
check that git is set up for max action, if you fingerpick action can be set lower, if you strum youll need it a little higher, but ill assume the first is your case (fingerpicker) lower action will make it easier on fretting hand as well

again, any sacrifice on gauge can be proportional to loss in driving top.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 05-16-2022, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
some very "sound" advice...yes im a punny guy.

lighter gauge acoustic strings
tune down full step & capo
use low tension strings- like newtone low tensions
silk and steels
check that git is set up for max action, if you fingerpick action can be set lower, if you strum youll need it a little higher, but ill assume the first is your case (fingerpicker) lower action will make it easier on fretting hand as well

again, any sacrifice on gauge can be proportional to loss in driving top.
yea.. all that really matters is the players experience.

the instrument is hard enough to learn and play already, no need to make it harder fighting with the string tension.

set em up with anything that works and play daily

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 AM

If silk & steel doesn't get you there, take it to a competent repair person and have it set up properly. If you explain your situation, then he should be able to set it up for your needs. I'm assuming because of your hand issues that you're willing to live with the tradeoffs. Most important is getting the nut height properly set up. After that, getting the relief and action height. Yes, if you're driving lower gauge strings the top will not perform acoustically like a heavier string will.

If you just can't play anything resembling a 100% acoustic guitar, consider picking up an amp. Piezo pickups have their own tradeoffs, but they're not really relying on you to be able to drive the top. Lots of folks use amps on acoustic guitars even at home. Especially if they're playing with loopers and such. Setting up 11's or even 10's with super low action - and using the amp for volume should get you there if you can play electric guitars.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:17 AM

Default Will putting electric guitar strings on a acoustic guitar play like an electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
It might play like an electric.

It might also sound like garbage.
There's a friend of mine - who should know much better, for reasons I can't/won't get into here - who did exactly that on his major American-maker acoustic-electric gigging guitar...

In short, it does - kinda - and it does, big time...
Old 05-18-2022, 02:55 PM

I'll add one more note. When trying to use electric guitar strings, the unwound G will be the trouble maker.

My experience was that the unwound G just would not intonate correctly. Early on, I experimented with electric guitar strings, then experimented with putting together a custom set of acoustic strings with an unwound G, and even tried a graphtech saddle that was compensated for the B and the G strings.

Just never worked well for me.

I've now arrived at the "silk and steel" set and the "thin core phosphor bronze" set that I mentioned earlier. I'm happy with these, but certainly open to other options.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:30 PM

Oh man Im sorry guys thanks for your responses but Im just getting back to this. Iv got really bad tinnitus and I cant think right.
Cant tune down half step cause I love to play along with people on the radio or learn a song.
The action point and the angle of the neck is important. Now with my tinnitus Im leaning to a telecaster. It sucks I love acoustic but its creating too much vibration.
My little finger is bone on bone (was shattered) and is excoriating to play with, why I was trying to string my martin with the d'adarios.
And Im on lightest gauge strings I can get. Always extra light or custom light.
Im bummed Im just getting back to this, you all had such good info. To the point of me not putting the electric strings on my martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars