The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-02-2022, 10:55 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,704
Default Replacement Pickup System for Taylor Expression 1.3

Iím done trying to make myself happy with the magnetic sound of this Taylor pickup system. I want to replace it with a ust with a preamp that fits the Taylorís control holes. I understand MiSI has one, but does it sound good? Any other alternatives? A search of the forum yielded nothing though Iím sure this must have been discussed before.

PS: Donít tell me to sell the guitar or work more with the expression system. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2022, 02:36 AM
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,953
Default

David, the MiSi system is decent. It uses the LR Baggs Element under saddle pizeo and their own custom designed preamp with contour built into the sound. I used their custom preamp with K&K for a while and it was a pretty good experience. The preamp is battery free and uses a capacitor instead. You charge up the capacitor for just a few minutes with a 1/4" plugged wall wart before performances. In terms of sounds quality, it sounds like the the LR Baggs element. The kit does slip in and replace the factory stuff. I believe you can also have your guitar tech remove the neck to remove the mag pickup from the guitar at the same time, should you want to.
__________________
Martin D-28 Custom Authentic '37
Martin D-28 Marquis '16
Gibson Jumbo Historic '34
Larrivee LV-04 Rosewood '15
Guild F-512 '22
K&K Pickups via LR Baggs VPDI
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2022, 05:27 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,563
Default

Did you try the ES2 pickup?

It is piezo based and Taylor sells upgrade for 350$ and you get a refresh with it

https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Iím done trying to make myself happy with the magnetic sound of this Taylor pickup system. I want to replace it with a ust with a preamp that fits the Taylorís control holes. I understand MiSI has one, but does it sound good? Any other alternatives? A search of the forum yielded nothing though Iím sure this must have been discussed before.

PS: Donít tell me to sell the guitar or work more with the expression system. Thank you.
You might want to review Cuki's work with doing mods on the 1.3 system.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=553911

Although it might seem best to use the existing preamp controls, if I were faced with a similar situation I'd sell the Taylor E and get the same guitar without the built in electronics. Then it's easy to simply add what you want. (In my case I always add a K&K Pure Mini and do anything needed with an external pre.)

That's what I would do, and I'm certainly not suggesting you do that!

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-03-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2022, 08:09 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You might want to review Cuki's work with doing mods on the 1.3 system.



https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=553911



Although it might seem best to use the existing preamp controls, if I were faced with a similar situation I'd sell the Taylor E and get the same guitar without the built in electronics. Then it's easy to simply add what you want. (In my case I always add a K&K Pure Mini and do anything needed with an external pre.)



That's what I would do, and I'm certainly not suggesting you do that!
I did not mod the 1.3 ... It is possible but I never gave time to it. I did not like my Taylors enough to go this way.

I did mod the electronic of my 00-18v +thinline. But most of the mod is outboard gear (anthem like dual source preamp)
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2022, 09:18 AM
varmonter varmonter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The heart of Saturday night..
Posts: 3,601
Default

I use a sunrise mag pup in my taylor..
I really like the way it sounds...but anything is better than an es2/3..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2022, 11:05 AM
leew3 leew3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,153
Default

Not a direct answer to your question but I wonder whether an IR pedal might be a solution for you? I struggled with the early ES systems in my 2012 814 and 2006 GS Maple for some time. My spiffy new Voiceprint DI has solved the struggle for me. YMMV
__________________
"I go for a lotta things that's a little too strong" J.L. Hooker
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2022, 12:26 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,563
Default

IR can not solve the “mag” pickup character problem

On the Taylor ES1.3 the mag pickup is place far from the bridge in order to hide it under the fingerboard… the direct consequence is a huge comb filter effect.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

It is as if your signal would go through a filter like this


This filter effect is the one that makes the 3 pickups from a strat sound different from each other.

Problem is the filter is not the same depending on the string you play… so Tonedexter or VPDI can not solve it… since they apply the same tone correction for all 6 strings.

To solve the mag problem you need a HEX pickup and 6 Tonedexter/VPDI … one for each string.
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,108
Default

I am not sure if they still make them, but the tru-plug system was an awesome fix for ripping out the Expression System. I believe you can still find them online on Reverb.

Basically, you rip out the Expression System and put the tru-plug in which allows for a different pickup to be installed. The three control knobs are filled in with a neat, metal piece that looks flush and great once installed. The endpin has a new metal insert with a hole for the jack of a new pickup. It's honestly the most simple solution.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2022, 11:44 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,563
Default

One can also keep the plastic black button and plate.

You order 3 pots
Draw a PCB and order it.
Solder the three pots and wire it to replace any volume-tone from the desired new pickup.



An electronic tech or electric guitar tech with a bit of experience could do that.
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-04-2022, 12:50 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,563
Default

I took some pictures to illustrate the idea



Here is a Taylor ES 1.2. You have:
* 3 pot caps (see picture 1)
* 3 bushings (see picture 1)
* 1 face plate and a PCB board (see picture 2)

Pots are alpha B10K 7E2 ... I guess it's possible to source.

I do not have that in stock, so I showed a picture with a rotary encoder. The shaft seems standard and fits perfectly on it. (however the bushings don't...) So if you can find the right pots (costs nothing), you can replace any thumbwheel control by those. With the faceplate and the bushings, you don't even need to make a PCB, you can solder "point-to-point" the pots.

I would put 2 cents on those pots (with C-shaft)
http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/9...9mm_pot_8.html
__________________
Martin 00-18V Goldplus + internal mic
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 07-04-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:27 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Did you try the ES2 pickup?



It is piezo based and Taylor sells upgrade for 350$ and you get a refresh with it



https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages


add shipping both ways.

And yes, I ought a guitar with ES2. And sold it because of the pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:29 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I use a sunrise mag pup in my taylor..

I really like the way it sounds...but anything is better than an es2/3..


I donít like mag pickups. Dan Fogelberg used a Sunrise live and that awful sound drove me nuts. Others have done better with it, but that mag sound is a no from me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:31 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I took some pictures to illustrate the idea







Here is a Taylor ES 1.2. You have:

* 3 pot caps (see picture 1)

* 3 bushings (see picture 1)

* 1 face plate and a PCB board (see picture 2)



Pots are alpha B10K 7E2 ... I guess it's possible to source.



I do not have that in stock, so I showed a picture with a rotary encoder. The shaft seems standard and fits perfectly on it. (however the bushings don't...) So if you can find the right pots (costs nothing), you can replace any thumbwheel control by those. With the faceplate and the bushings, you don't even need to make a PCB, you can solder "point-to-point" the pots.



I would put 2 cents on those pots (with C-shaft)

http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/9...9mm_pot_8.html


Iím looking for a simple and reasonably priced solution. So, no. Lolol
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:32 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
David, the MiSi system is decent. It uses the LR Baggs Element under saddle pizeo and their own custom designed preamp with contour built into the sound. I used their custom preamp with K&K for a while and it was a pretty good experience. The preamp is battery free and uses a capacitor instead. You charge up the capacitor for just a few minutes with a 1/4" plugged wall wart before performances. In terms of sounds quality, it sounds like the the LR Baggs element. The kit does slip in and replace the factory stuff. I believe you can also have your guitar tech remove the neck to remove the mag pickup from the guitar at the same time, should you want to.



Thanks Dave. I can work with the Baggs Element just fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=