The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Fender PM-1 standard dread

At my local store is a new Fender PM-1 standard sitka and hog dread, with a very nice case, (also includes dampit humidifier). It has been on the wall for a couple of years, but appears unmarked. The store is properly humidified and the guitar appears the same.

It doesn't seem to be the loudest guitar around but it sounds good, nonetheless. Today, I will go back and plug it in. It also plays quite well and has a 1.69 inch nut width, which I favor. Fit and finish is very, very good, although a poly finish isn't necessarily my favorite. The case is also quite nice, better than I normally see in this range.

I believe street price is normally $800. I've been offered the guitar with case, and an extra set of strings for $500 plus state sales tax, an additional 42 bucks.

Does anyone have advice concerning the above?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:22 AM

I recently bought a PM-2 rosewood dreadnought. Mine has no bass, but otherwise seems OK. If you are primarily going to play unplugged, that might be an issue. Amplified that might be a benefit.
BTW mine was $450...Adorama was clearing them out.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 AM

So many much better guitars out there for $500.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Guest 2434

I can't imagine it being 'quiet'. i have the pm-3 and it is 'louder' than a couple of dreads I have but is physically smaller in every dimension. that wouldn't mean much if it was just noise... it isn't. it's warm and mellow.
these paramount guitars seems to be hidden gems to me.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM

New Paramount series are good guitars .. I have an all Hog PM1 and it is a fab guitar with great tone , good sustain and balance.

There seems to be some that put Fenders down based on historically poor acoustics..... the new range is considerably better and I much prefer my PM1 to be the Guild GAD 50 and Yamaha LL16 that went before it.

I wish people would not make negative comments on an instrument they have never played.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
So many much better guitars out there for $500.
Well, I sure don't mind a recommendation or two. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I recently bought a PM-2 rosewood dreadnought. Mine has no bass, but otherwise seems OK. If you are primarily going to play unplugged, that might be an issue. Amplified that might be a benefit.
BTW mine was $450...Adorama was clearing them out.
I saw that. It sure looked like a heckuva buy. I just didn't pull the trigger then and perhaps it was a mistake. Oh, well. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
I can't imagine it being 'quiet'. i have the pm-3 and it is 'louder' than a couple of dreads I have but is physically smaller in every dimension. that wouldn't mean much if it was just noise... it isn't. it's warm and mellow.
these paramount guitars seems to be hidden gems to me.
Not quiet, just not loud. I'm hoping this local guitar is just that, a hidden, in plain sight, gem.
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Timing View Post
New Paramount series are good guitars .. I have an all Hog PM1 and it is a fab guitar with great tone , good sustain and balance.

There seems to be some that put Fenders down based on historically poor acoustics..... the new range is considerably better and I much prefer my PM1 to be the Guild GAD 50 and Yamaha LL16 that went before it.

I wish people would not make negative comments on an instrument they have never played.
Hello, there. l played an all hog paramount parlor that was light as a feather, but oh so resonant. Never tried the hog dread but based on the parlor, I'd imagine it's a big sounding guitar.

Yes, you are right, the new Fender Paramounts do seem a slight cut above some of Fender's past offerings. I will say I've been surprised a time or two by an older Fender acoustic.
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM

I wonder what other brands come out of the same factory. Anybody know?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill View Post
I wonder what other brands come out of the same factory. Anybody know?
That is a good question, Gill. I will say the craftsmanship on this local PM-1 looks to be excellent. However, after playing it again today, I've decided better of its purchase. Although there is a certain sweetness to the tone, it seems a tad restrained and lacking in the resonance that might be expected or hoped for, considering its specs. When plugged in to my Acoustasonic 40, tone was decent, but nothing more. Again, it's a lot of guitar, especially heavily discounted, but for me fell just a little short.

Thanks all for your replies.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Hopefully the Paramount Series will end the negative Fender acoustic replies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion