The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2016, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I am going to have to slightly contradict myself, in as much as I recommended a builder earlier in this thread.
I would never commission a guitar from anyone because on every occasion I have done so, or bought blind, they have been a disappointment.
Two highly rated builders mentioned in this thread I have owned guitars buy, one bought after a very brief trial at the owners house, was probably the guitar I liked least of any guitar that I have ever owned, although there was much to admire about it in terms of quality of construction, the tone was so far away from what I hold dear that I literally never played it.

The other a commission many years ago, was just a disaster really but I blame my younger self for a good portion of that.
Its never easy trying to choose but I think a trip to a dealer with no prejudices about what you want is the way to go, a good dealer will also give you a cooling off period, with at least the chance to change it after a short time in case you think you made the wrong choice.

Best Regards Anthony
Anyone who buys a custom built guitar must be able to select a maker who is known and can evidence the fit and finish as well as tonality that the buyer requires.

Further the buyer should know almost as much as the builder (and be able to communicate) the factors in a build which produces what is in his head.

There are two ways of ordering a custom instrument:

1. To order a standard model from a well known maker but with subtle variations in cosmetics and , perhaps tonewoods.

2. Order a completely custom sized/proportioned instrument - effectively to the buyer's design.

As with Portland Bill's experience - I have ordered a number of custom build and none have met my aspirations. However, a lengthy search for a standard model until I found one that fulfilled all my requirements resulted in my finding a stock Collings 12 fret dread, which resulted in my now owning ....more than one.

As far as customisation - were I to order from Collings - these would be a matter of cosmetics only (although I do wish that they would make a custom 12 fret 12 string dreadnought like a D12-20/35 etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abz View Post
My apologies for the late reply - I'm quite new to AGF and my experience in some other forums led me to believe I would get next to zero replies to a question so I'm pleasantly surprised and very grateful guys, thank you. Ok so I've been playing since childhood but quite a long period in the military meant there has been a big gap where I didn't play so I'm way worse a player than I ought to be...well thats my excuse anyway. I mainly fingerpick but do strum a bit too so I had in mind a reasonably large body for a somewhat 'all-round' sort of sound if thats possible. As far as woods go, the nicest guitars I've played have had certain recurring themes which lead me towards those woods although I'm certainly open to change. Bearclaw has been one of those themes but so has red spruce, both Italian and Adi..If I could marry the two (bearclaw and red spruce) I would be sold on a top wood but I know thats rare at best. Back and sides I have always thought, and found to a degree, have much less effect on tone so I will probably go with what I like aesthetically and to a lesser extent, tonally. African blackwood would be right at the top of my list. I love ziricote too. My true wish is to have a matching guitar and ukulele. Same woods, maybe initials at the 12th fret (although the effect on resale in the event that I dont fall in love means I probably wont do that) Essentially, I either have or have played what I think are the best factory made has to offer - old martins, taylors, larrivees, etc so seeing as its for my 40th I am set on a custom luthier built instrument. Some people dont 'get' or hear handmade acoustic guitars. My friend says theres no difference. For me, there is. A world of difference. I dont know how much of it is actual and how much is romance for me but its there, and I want one!
I don't understand people who say that there is no difference; to me too, there clearly is a world of difference. You don't even need to have ever played or heard a guitar to know the difference, simply study the science behind factory/small shop/luthier guitars and you have your answer

But like someone has said, you really ought to check out the Traugott over at TAMCO if it's within your budget and if it hasn't been accounted for (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=401947)

1) It's in ABW, the back you are looking for
2) You get to decide on the spot if it tickles your fancy
3) No waiting time
4) It's a Traugott

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I don't understand people who say that there is no difference; to me too, there clearly is a world of difference. You don't even need to have ever played or heard a guitar to know the difference, simply study the science behind factory/small shop/luthier guitars and you have your answer

But like someone has said, you really ought to check out the Traugott over at TAMCO if it's within your budget and if it hasn't been accounted for (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=401947)

1) It's in ABW, the back you are looking for
2) You get to decide on the spot if it tickles your fancy
3) No waiting time
4) It's a Traugott

I am afraid that is simply not true, all guitars to some extent are hit and miss, the best/expensive builders miss less.
After owning a stream of high end boutique guitars, probably the best guitar to my taste I have ever owned was a workshop guitar built in Ireland.

I haven't played steel string for some time now and am looking to get back in to it, but if I could buy back any of my previous guitars it would be that one.

Regards Anthony
Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I am afraid that is simply not true, all guitars to some extent are hit and miss, the best/expensive builders miss less.
After owning a stream of high end boutique guitars, probably the best guitar to my taste I have ever owned was a workshop guitar built in Ireland.

I haven't played steel string for some time now and am looking to get back in to it, but if I could buy back any of my previous guitars it would be that one.

Regards Anthony
Well it is true that there are hits and misses even amongst luthiers, but a fully factory built guitar is virtually never going to "hit" IMO. I can understand that with small shops however that it is possible to build a guitar from time to time that can possibly meet the standards of a truly great guitar, but like you said, the right luthiers do tend to miss less haha

I believe there is subjective (tone) as well as objective (responsiveness/dynamics/volume/clarity etc.) sound, so for example someone in favour of the vintage sound would prefer a factory Martin over a modern luthier built guitar, but the Martin truly wouldn't be a better guitar objectively.

Just my thoughts anyways

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM

If I were to commission a guitar from a builder in the UK, my dream guitar would be one from Stefan Sobell.

Quote:
Well it is true that there are hits and misses even amongst luthiers, but a fully factory built guitar is virtually never going to "hit" IMO. I can understand that with small shops however that it is possible to build a guitar from time to time that can possibly meet the standards of a truly great guitar, but like you said, the right luthiers do tend to miss less haha
This is all very subjective. Martin, Gibson and Taylor all build fantastic instruments nowadays.

Quote:
I believe there is subjective (tone) as well as objective (responsiveness/dynamics/volume/clarity etc.) sound, so for example someone in favour of the vintage sound would prefer a factory Martin over a modern luthier built guitar, but the Martin truly wouldn't be a better guitar objectively.

Just my thoughts anyways
I agree with you that there are objective criteria to consider -- but at some point a guitar that is more responsive/dynamic isn't necessarily better. Just like a stiff gas pedal doesn't mean the car is slower.

Same goes with clarity. Some instruments sound clear when played softly, others need to be played harder to clear their throat.

As for volume, bring your responsive and dynamic modern guitar to a real acoustic jam and hear for yourself how it does against "inferior" (sic) guitars like a Martin D or even a modest Guild D with laminate back.

In real life, very few people care for "hand built" guitars. There's a reason for that.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abz
African blackwood would be right at the top of my list.
That's a great choice.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 AM

No mention of these guitars in this thread yet ?? surprising.
I've played a few and this is where I'd go.
well you have three options, three body sizes, well four including the wee one, three build options - Standard Workshop model, Custom Workshop model or built by Mr Lowden himself in master grade T/woods (starting at $15000).

Now, African Blackwood

Lowden S50, F50 & 40th O50 African Blackwood/Redwood

Last edited by westman; 01-28-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-28-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
My experience with Adrian Lucas began at the holy grail guitar show in Berlin and very impressed of that wonderful sonority of his guitars I bought one and I have to say it is a non ending fount of pleasure to Play it. So I would recommend him as a very reputable luthier in England.
http://www.lucasguitars.co.uk/

best wishes

guitarchie
I have a custom Lucas fan fret. I haven't found many guitars that equal it. A great guy to work with.
Martin J40
Old 01-28-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
No mention of these guitars in this thread yet ?? surprising.
I got the impression the OP was after a sole-luthier build?
George will do you that, but "George Lowden Guitars" (as opposed to Lowden) are not cheap.

As far as small shop guitars go, a Lowden F25 is the guitar I would pick above all others. Fabulous off-the-wall instrument.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

duplicate oops

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 01-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Not sure about the UK laws but... If you buy through Trevor, and the BRW is CITES certified, what's the fuss? He reps some EXTREMELY talented luthiers.

With all respect to UK luthiers, North America is the hotbed of the golden era.

Good luck,

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM

I don't stock or order BRW guitars.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I got the impression the OP was after a sole-luthier build?
George will do you that, but "George Lowden Guitars" (as opposed to Lowden) are not cheap.
Steve
covered including base price

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
three build options - Standard Workshop model, Custom Workshop model or built by Mr Lowden himself in master grade
T/woods starting at $15000
link to Mr L's personal builds -
http://www.lowdenguitars.com/george-lowden-luthier
Old 01-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Humanist

I will add my voice to the chorus that might be recommending Adrian Lucas!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 PM

Again thanks for the replies guys. I checked out lucas guitars and while I'm sure they are top class, visually they weren't for me. I do like Lowdens though so would definitely be open to that as an option, I will look into it. I had an 0-38 for a while, Cedar/Brazilian and it was really nice. I fell on hard times however and had to sell it. I just asked the question about acoustic guitars because of the fact that...well, itsbthe acoustic guitar forum...but my goal is actually to commission a guitar and a matching ukulele. I had one builder for both in mind but research and conversations with some knowledgeable folks has told me its unlikely as most dont seem to build both. Same woods and appointments is what I shall aim for as much as possible and if the builder permits, I would love to share the process with you guys. I have gained so much enjoyment from your build threads during my 'lurking' phase that I feel I really ought to return the favour...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop