The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Neither operate in the UK. So its B&Q or Homebase, and I prefer B&Q.

A little while ago an Australian company called Bunnings bought out a load of Homebase stores.

They filled them with lots of stuff that you might be familiar with in the US - but much of it was way too large for British homes and I even saw a gun safe there once - not going to be a big seller in the UK!

They didn't last long so Homebase bought some of the stores back.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Both are 15-20 min drive from my house and we have no particular preference. In our house experience, both have equal selections and customer service. We go to HD if we also need to drop by Academy and we go to Lowe’s if we want to eat at a restaurant we like. Sometimes we prefer the plant/flower selections at Lowe’s and sometimes HD. Either one works for us.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 PM

I happen to live almost exactly midway between a Lowes and a Home Depot, about a ten minute drive to either one. Which one I go to depends entirely on specifically what I need. I check the websites for both and decide which one to go to based on what they have available, what's in stock, and price. It's pretty much unpredictable which one I end up going to each time. The HD tends to have a bit better quality lumber and a wider selection of lumber than the Lowes, but not always.

That said, if it's something simple, my first go to is the Ace store about 5 minutes away.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Lowes is much safer. I was injured in the other place. They spend money on teams of lawyers instead of improving safety. Use the Google if you don't believe me. I was injured and really should have sued.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 PM

Our local Lowes has had a wider variety of the fasteners i need, so I went there.

However, they'll be gone soon (shutting down stores like crazy around here) so I'll be at Ace or HD in future.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

I have a Lowe's five minutes away. It gets most of my business. There are three Home Depots ten to fifteen minutes away, but the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the extra time to get there and back.

I would prefer to support a local mom and pop operation, but the big boxes have driven them away here.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM

I shop at Lowes most of the time but Home Depot is across the street from Lowes so will go over there if Lowes doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Ace Hardware is in town so I shop there a lot.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM

For lumber, I deal with a lumberyard. For other stuff, I prefer Lowe's. Home Depot refused to take back unopened and unused circuit breakers (wrong size) and I never forgave them for that one.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 AM

For nuts, bolts, general hardware stuff Tractor supply is closest. General lumber, it's whichever I happen to be closer to. For anything specific, it's whichever store has what I'm looking for or cheapest price. They're all pretty similar around here and I don't care or pay attention to the politics of any of them.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM

Lowe’s, hands down versus Home Depot. Home Depot quite often doesn’t have what I need in stock. BUT if I can support a local hardware store, I will do so. The Ace Hardware store is one I go to probably three times a week.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 AM

I shop one against the other. Go online and see the prices, what is in inventory. There are 2 Home Depots and one Lowes within 4 miles of my house, and more of both within 20 miles.

HD can be 'more than annoying' when you ask for assistance - specially looking for something unusual as they place stuff wherever it will fit in an aisle, not necessarily where it should be. With Lowes online, they tell you the row and bay it's in - very handy.

The 'lumberyards' around here cater to contractors, and there are few left, same with hardware stores.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
Lowes is much safer. I was injured in the other place. They spend money on teams of lawyers instead of improving safety. Use the Google if you don't believe me. I was injured and really should have sued.
I would imagine both establishments retain lawyers for the same reasons...to protect #1.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Usually Lowe's, but I've done business with both in the past.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Lowe's for the most part, BUT, when it comes to things like, plumbing fixtures, electrical fixtures, storm doors, appliances, etc. (Major Investments), I will go to local contractor supply houses. There is a difference in quality and it is worth the extra expense.
Coming from the industry, I must say that your statement isn't really entirely accurate. Lowes and Home Depot carry major brands and most of the same stuff the Supply Houses carry. Furthermore, the contractor supply houses stock and sell "price point" products of lower quality. They have to. Lots of contractors buy from Lowes and Home Depot as well as Wholesale Contractor Supply Houses...lots.
Having sold products to both Lowes and Depot as well as the Contractor Supply houses I can tell you that the "Big Box" retailers don't accept "second best" products,service or warranty from their vendors. The vendors are held to high standards as the buying power of these Giants is enormous and they are virtually everywhere. The products are as good and in most cases the same as the supply houses carry, maybe sold under a different "name", maybe not.
Incidentally, you can buy most anything the brick and mortar stores sell online as well from several major sources, sort of like guitars.
The one thing you are more likely to get from a Contractor Supply house is expertise and that is definitely an advantage if you're doing it yourself.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 12-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I love that Lowes carries Craftsman now (I have a huge collection of Craftsman tools that I like having a lifetime warranty on)
Near where I live there are Ace Hardware, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware and Rona stores. RONA also carries Craftsman tools. I don't prefer any one of them over the other and will go to whichever one has what I am looking for at the best price or is in the direction of where I want to go. I guess Home Depot is the best for browsing and getting ideas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic