The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM

Default How can I convert youtube video to CD

This used to be free and easy to do, but it seems that every site I try now, doesn't work. Any suggestions for sites that work? I need to compile a CD with 12 songs.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Thumbs down

Assuming you want to compile a cd of 12 songs that you wrote? (potential thumb down for not being OK if someone else's material).

Last edited by SprintBob; 12-04-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited to be respectful relative to clarification by OP
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 PM

you can convert youtube videos to mp3 files here

https://ytmp3.cc/
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Obviously you are speaking of your own music on your own channel, not duplicating someone else's copyrighted material, without paying for the CD.

I didn't want anyone to misunderstand your intent and think the AGF would be sharing copyright infringement advice.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 PM

I've used Audacity and Lame to convert any audio source to mp3 files which can then be burned to a CD.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Most audio recording software (DAW) will capture the audio being sent through the soundcard.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Look at either Amazon or iTunes.

I'm sure that these songs are available for purchase.

In addition, the sound quality you'll get from a downloaded song will likely be better than the audio from a video. If you take the audio from a youtube music video, you'll get all of the audio from any sort of long-drawn-out intros or outros in the video.

On a side note, I'm so glad that I don't try to make a living playing music because of stuff like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 AM

I have paid for most of the songs on vinyl, cassette, and/or cd, all paid for of course. When I go to a concert I make sure to buy merchandise, including a CD. Does that make it seem less like theft? And, don't the artists make some money from youtube ? This is under discussion by senate committees here in Canada, and hopefully there is a way to get more money to the artists. My questions are not meant to be offensive...I just don't know about such things. I'm sure it's not a black and white issue...I just want to compile lots of favourite tunes into a small number of CDs.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-04-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Im glad you got help. I used to do
the same for live performances that you could not purchase anywhere else and could only find on youtube. I know that makes me a terrible person to some peeps. Just hoping they dont speed. Even one mile over the limit. Thats illegal too!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I have paid for most of the songs on vinyl, cassette, and/or cd, all paid for of course. When I go to a concert I make sure to buy merchandise, including a CD. Does that make it seem less like theft? And, don't the artists make some money from youtube ? This is under discussion by senate committees here in Canada, and hopefully there is a way to get more money to the artists. My questions are not meant to be offensive...I just don't know about such things. I'm sure it's not a black and white issue...I just want to compile lots of favourite tunes into a small number of CDs.
Well, unless you have about 50k+ subscribers, and every video you have reaches over 1,000,000 views, you really don't make too much on YouTube.

That said, if you get YouTube Red, I believe then you can have access to certain material. Then again, it's very easy and fast to rip songs off you CD collection, which you can then easily compile as you wish.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
If you have the songs on vinyl, cassette, and/or especially CD, its way easier to go from those formats to mp3 using Audacity and Lame. Its just like the old days of taping albums to play in your car.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
If you have the songs on vinyl, cassette, and/or especially CD, its way easier to go from those formats to mp3 using Audacity and Lame. Its just like the old days of taping albums to play in your car.
For CD it's arguably easier, but converting from analog to digital is much slower than digital to digital.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Obviously you are speaking of your own music on your own channel, not duplicating someone else's copyrighted material, without paying for the CD.

I didn't want anyone to misunderstand your intent and think the AGF would be sharing copyright infringement advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk View Post
Im glad you got help. I used to do
the same for live performances that you could not purchase anywhere else and could only find on youtube. I know that makes me a terrible person to some peeps. Just hoping they dont speed. Even one mile over the limit. Thats illegal too!
I just wanted to chime in to say I am a professional librarian, so intellectual capital and copyright, creative control in artistic expression and in the commercial aspects of art is important to me, definitely.

I always have, and always will, support musicians and purchased tapes, CDs and vinyl in the more than 4 decades I've been an active music listener.

However, a good bit of the music I enjoy is rather obscure. I like things going all the way back to the earliest days of cylinder recordings back at the end of the 1800s from all over the world, pretty much any genre.

So for quite some time I have compiled CDs of things I found on YouTube. If it's something commercially available, I buy it.

But frequently I find (or seek out) live clips that are not official releases, or more commonly old 45 rpms of old rockabilly, soul, surf, country, you name it...the kind of songs some otherwise unknowns recorded 60 years ago on some micro-label from West Cow Butt, Pennsylvania that lasted a year and disappeared.

Things like this, even if they have been reissued, it's almost always on a compilation that is itself a bootleg.

I don't feel bad about it. It's for my own listening pleasure and occasionally making a mix tape for someone.

This may come off sounding like a lame rationalization, but if anything I see myself in this context as someone into archiving and preservation.

- John Shedd
Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
For CD it's arguably easier, but converting from analog to digital is much slower than digital to digital.
Using the technology I know of, converting from youtube, spotify, Pandora etc. is the same real-time process as converting from tape or LP. There isn't any process I know that lets you rip the digital audio from these (youtube, spotify, Pandora etc.) straight to mp3. But love to hear of it if there were.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM

https://videoder.en.uptodown.com/android

Works great and very fast.
Multiple free versions.
Sites like this are usually not around for long...

I will on occasion rip a CD for a few very low income friends.
This is mostly old songs or obscure and not in my collection.
I have little need of CD's myself as a music source such as youtube is always with me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic