The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 AM

Default Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Received my amp this week, on Monday. Talked about my purchase here. Had the chance to play around with it in the living room the past couple of nights. First impression...I love this amp!

Volume at 2 to 4, very clean tones. Tone settings flat produce a very bright, clean tone. Little chirp on the up stroke; a little growl on the down stroke. Reverb adds a little chime. Overall, it sounds like what in my mind is the Fender sound.

Push the volume to 5 or more; it gets pretty loud. Produces more growl on the down stroke; even starts to break up a little.

It's louder than I need but not so loud that I can't play it at home without busting my eardrums. Can't wait to take it to church, to play with it in the band. The brightness of this amp will cut through the mix beautifully.

Tremolo is something I've never messed with before. Had fun playing some jazz tunes with the Tremolo through the neck pickup, with bass turned up to 8. Almost sounded a little Bill Frisell-esque.

Next step...connect my pedal board and possibly shop from some new pedals to add some nice effects.

Appreciate all the PR discussion on this forum...it was very helpful. Especially found Bob Womack's review extremely helpful, and tempted to order the Warehouse American Vintage G10C speaker mentioned in his review.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Sounds like a great amp. Have you ever tried an attenuator? I use an Ironman II Mini with my Victoria Regal and it’s great. You set the volume on the amp to get the sound you like and then use the attenuator to reduce the volume to whatever is appropriate for where you’re playing.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

In regards to the tremolo, try Tommy James' "Crimson and Clover." The slightly more robust trem on the Custom does this well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM

congrats on what appears to be a great amp.

don't change anything on a new guitar or amp until you've run it thru its paces.
you may love them and never need to change anything.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new amp! I’m loving my ‘68 CPR too, and also grateful for all the good advice about that model on this forum.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
In regards to the tremolo, try Tommy James' "Crimson and Clover." The slightly more robust trem on the Custom does this well.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Honestly, I've heard that recording a million times but never paid close attention. The tremolo sounds beautiful and such a simple but beautiful recording.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 AM

Congrats on the Princeton Reverb! Sounds like you're going to enjoy it.

Also, when it comes to pedals, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great pedal. Give the EHX Soul Food a try if you want some nice OD at a great price.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Accessorize!

I mention in the article that my first serious amp was a Silverface Fender Bandmaster. This week I switched to a red jewel just for old time's sake.

Bob

Old 12-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Accessorize!

I mention in the article that my first serious amp was a Silverface Fender Bandmaster. This week I switched to a red jewel just for old time's sake.

Bob
Accessorize? Good Idea!

I ordered the Warehouse G10C speaker to replace the "stock" Celestion G10R-30. The original speaker sounded okay, but after logging about 12 hours on the amp, in my living room I think I was hoping to achieve a smidge more clean headroom out of this amp.

Replaced the speaker late last night and logged another half hour this morning, after the whole household woke up. Wow! The Warehouse G10C is a beautiful speaker with more clean headroom. Still growls when you lay into it, but wow, what a great clean tone!

I've only ever owned one other tube amp; a Fender Hot Rod. Great amp, but I was never able to tame that beast for my usage.

I am so impressed with this amp. Wow, who'd a thunk? Not ready to abandon solid state, but I'm definitely smitten with this tube amp.

Thanks again for all of the threads, discussions and comments here on the AGF. Serendipity that there was so much discussion here at a time when I was looking for more info on the Princeton.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Success! If I help one person...

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars