The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Default A question for any Aussies out there

Hi.

What Australian guitar makers produce guitars similar in quality and cost to comparable American guitars, e.g. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, &tc.? (not custom builds)

And, are there any Australian builders who use unique components (bridges, tailpieces, nuts, &tc.) that you don't see on American guitars?

Thanks a heap
-HR
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Well the big 2 are Maton and Cole Clark.

Interestingly both Adam Cole and Brad Clark both worked at Maton before forming their own company in 2001 - also interesting that both of them no longer work there, Cole left in 2004 and Clark in 2010.

For a really good idea of other great guitar makers in Australia I'm going to refer to the album 'Southern Crossing' by David Ross MacDonald where he plays a different guitar from a different Australian maker on each track.

Churchill - Rad - Gilet - Beeton - Wright - Wise - Worthy - Spira - Dubowski - McGrath - De Gruchy - Redgate.

I have played a Gilet and thought it was superb ... and I own a Dan Dubowski.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Yup... as Bruce suggested it's pretty much Maton and Cole Clark, we really don't have the population and economic reach to support more. Otherwise it's small niche builders, some listed on the album Bruce also mentions.

Most if not all of these have and do 'experiment' with local woods and such and sometimes designs as luthiers are wont to do. I own a Gilet a pretty traditional 'Martin' style 000 w' cutaway, which is Tassie Blackwood with a Sitka top, a gorgeous 20 yo now. I've tried some others too, some terrific some not for me but all interesting and quality.

My current 'stage' guitar is a Maton 808 which is great but not on par acoustically with my Gilet. Some Matons or Clarks are wonderful acoustic instruments but that isn't their primary strength.

Depends what you seek. You could have look here on a local luthier forum, might be something there to interest you.
http://www.anzlf.com/

Kris
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys. Bruce, nice guitars on that album, thanks. one more off-topic question, re: didgeridoo.

I hear them on some recorded music, i.e. Outback, Archie Roach (?); even on Townsend - Lane "April Fool" (Clapton on Dobro).

Are those instruments built and sold like guitars? (some mass produced, some custom, basic to advanced, fine woods, &tc.). What makes a didgeridoo a GOOD didgeridoo?

Thanks a heap
-HR
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
What makes a didgeridoo a GOOD didgeridoo?

Thanks a heap
-HR
The technique, the player.
I've seen guys play on plastic drain pipe and sound great.
I really wouldn't know where to start.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 PM

The pre-war drainpipes make the best didgeridoos....ask anyone who's "in the know." They used to use those Brazilian drainpipes that you can't get anymore.

If you don't believe me, ask George Gruhn: he writes the vintage instrument column for "Didgeridoo Monthly."

Wade Hampton "I Like The Smallbody Drainpipes Best, Myself" Miller
Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The pre-war drainpipes make the best didgeridoos....ask anyone who's "in the know." They used to use those Brazilian drainpipes that you can't get anymore.

If you don't believe me, ask George Gruhn: he writes the vintage instrument column for "Didgeridoo Monthly."

Wade Hampton "I Like The Smallbody Drainpipes Best, Myself" Miller
Ha, I remember seeing a guy with a smaller diameter pipe inside a larger pipe and he slid it in and out as he played - like a trombone!

Uniquely Australian.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion