The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Hard to pick as they are all nice. But for some reason the first one in the top left hand corner has me coming back to it.
Yes, I like that one too...it's classic and has nice graining, yet with a dramatic element that isn't over the top.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like I'm going to have to go pick up a copy or two of the March 2015 issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine!

Here's Bob's next Sexauer as of 11 am today:
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Bruce trimmed the ribbons and installed Spanish Cedar linings to the maple sides. On to the carved back now...

Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's the story at the end of Saturday. Back to it on Monday!!!

I have not previously seen anything quite like this secondary curl. Bob asked for chevron in the curl, and this back is delivering!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Looks great Bruce!

Now the fun begins...Go carve that back set and find the music that lies within it!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Tone is in the giraffe-print tape.

The guitar looks good, Bruce. I look forward to seeing more of it.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

One of the many design decisions that required thinking in this project is body depth. This flattop having a carved, arched back without ladder bracing will have additional body volume. Typically, in a 15", 14-fret flattop body design Bruce creates a tapered body with rims from 3-1/4" at the neck block to 4-1/16" at the end block. For this guitar, Bruce has intentionally reduced the rim depth by 7/32" to 3-1/32" to 3-27/32" to adjust for the additional volume created by the non-braced arched back. The design of the carved back itself will be interesting. Not only will it effect the internal volume, but the curvature and thickness of the arch and recurve will effect its stiffness and reflective characteristics.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am expecting (with the proper self discipline) to get this back carved in perhaps 10 daily half hour sessions' So, if true, here's 10%:

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Fixturing...

Bruce shared his simple back carving fixture with me today (before the 1st carving session which he shared in his last post). I liked the clever way it supported the back and allowed you to work both sides of the piece. It will be interesting to see the 11/16" back set become a carved back over the next few weeks.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
One of the many design decisions that required thinking in this project is body depth. This flattop having a carved, arched back without ladder bracing will have additional body volume. Typically, in a 15", 14-fret flattop body design Bruce creates a tapered body with rims from 3-1/4" at the neck block to 4-1/16" at the end block. For this guitar, Bruce has intentionally reduced the rim depth by 7/32" to 3-1/32" to 3-27/32" to adjust for the additional volume created by the non-braced arched back. The design of the carved back itself will be interesting. Not only will it effect the internal volume, but the curvature and thickness of the arch and recurve will effect its stiffness and reflective characteristics.
Taylor does something similar with the GS Mini with an arched back and no back bracing, and IMHO I think it's a great design. I'm glad to see an individual luthier employ it.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Taylor does something similar with the GS Mini with an arched back and no back bracing, and IMHO I think it's a great design. I'm glad to see an individual luthier employ it.
The Taylor, like earlier Guilds and Epiphone Recording guitars used pressed, laminates to create their arched backs. Santa Cruz used to make a carved backed flattop guitar called the FTC and luthier John Buscarino currently makes carved backed flattop guitar called a Rhapsody.

So the arched back/flattop approach has been certainly been done a number of times in one form or another. This guitar will be a bit unique in that it will incorporate some traditional "martinesque" design aesthetics along with a few unique twists and of course is being voiced by Bruce.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-27-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
So the arched back/flattop approach has been certainly been done a number of times in one form or another. This guitar will be a bit unique in that it will incorporate some traditional "martinesque" design aesthetics along with a few unique twists and of course is being voiced by Bruce.
I'm sure this one will blow those mass produced guys out of the water. Wonder if it will be done in time for Memphis or if Bruce would be inclined to bring it, or if you'd be willing to display it. In case you couldn't tell I've already bought tickets to Memphis
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm sure this one will blow those mass produced guys out of the water. Wonder if it will be done in time for Memphis or if Bruce would be inclined to bring it, or if you'd be willing to display it. In case you couldn't tell I've already bought tickets to Memphis
Since the guitar with some luck, will likely be delivered long before the June show to me in NJ and I do not plan on attending the Memphis show, its appearance is unlikely. I frankly have no desire to expose it to the tender loving hands of Fedex/UPS more than is minimally required. However, if Bruce want's to show it or any of my guitars at Woodstock (if he chooses to attend), I would be delighted to bring either or both of my Sexauers for him to show if he desired it.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I Am having a bad time with my iMac in Firefox where Yahoo is hijacking my browser when I try to post in this thread! Clicking on the reply button takes me to photobucket and then to a yahoo search result. The back button won't get me out. Not just this thread, but a number of other unrelated times as well. AFAIK I don't even use Yahoo as a search engine, so it is driving me nuts. This, my iPad, seem OK so far.

I put another session in on the arch back, and here is the pic:

Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Concurrent story

Since I can only put in an hour of less a day on the carved back, the Mini-D is coming right along. In fact, I just put the back on, but you'll have to wait till tomorrow to see the evidence.

Here, then, is a by now familiar view of the inside:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop