The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Congratulations Joe (Mau); a new guitar for Christmas is a great idea. I must try it myself!

Really looking forward to hearing some tunes from this one in due course.

I am also really looking forward to hearing about how it compares to the Kraut once you get familiar with it. I'm not naive enough to be expecting a "which one is better" reply, since at this level, that's a pretty dumb question. However, I'd be really interested in the contrasts between them and what each one excels at in your opinion. They should be coming from two pretty different places, both in terms of build and in terms of woods used (although they're much the same body size?), and I'd expect that to be reflected in terms of how they sound and perhaps handle different styles of music and playing. Very curious since most of us don't get to have two guitars like that in our house at the same time.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks, Steve!

The Kraut feels like a big bold V12 while the Olson feels like a direct injection V8...

The first thing Jim said is that he hopes I won't be putting those heavy strings on his guitar! LOL

In fact, even Ray somewhat freaked out when I told him I had strung up his OM with 14-59s. That being said, I only use heavier strings in combination with alternate tunings -- and I always do my math before proceeding to make sure the new tension does not exceed the original tension when using standard tuning and the luthier's recommended gauge.

Although the lower bout is only different by half an inch, the two guitars couldn't look more different.

In terms of sound, the Kraut has a stronger note fundamental and a very husky voice.

The Olson rather has what I would call a "crying voice". Play a chord, wave the neck a bit -- and hear the magic.

I obviously enjoy both very much.

Playability and setup are top notch on both guitars. When I played the Kraut for the first time, it was exactly what I was used to playing -- it came with mediums and felt like a "real" acoustic to me. Despite a medium action (Ray offered to lower it and I declined), intonation remained spot on all the way up. Impressive. Most people who would pick up my Kraut now would think I'm a bit of a masochist -- but I really love the way it sounds with the heavies, and above it all I really love how it feels.

On the other hand, the Olson feels nimble and plays like total butter. I have never had a guitar that was setup like that and it will take a bit of time getting used to. I just played a few barre chords way up the neck with the kind of speed I haven't been able to achieve since my Ibanez days. The setup is as close to perfection as I have seen on any guitar. I hope it stays that way!

My Olson SJ is also very lightweight -- but that is mostly because of the mahogany as Jim's rosewood guitars felt noticeably heavier.

So that's it for now. I will post some audio/video as soon as I can capture something decent.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 12-24-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM

Congrats on the guitar...may it inspire you at no end.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Incredible. Stunning photography work, too. This is just pure musical art. Hats off to Olson for this beauty and congrats to the happy owner!

JR
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 AM

Congrats Joe

That's a great Christmas gift, and I tell what you are right up there at the top of my favourite AGFers because you are a non cutaway man!!

Happy guitar playing

Best,

Keyshore
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 AM

Bern and J.R., thank you for your kind words.

I sat down to record a track but my middle finger has a messed up nail so I'll try again tomorrow.

In the mean time:

Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
Congrats Joe

That's a great Christmas gift, and I tell what you are right up there at the top of my favourite AGFers because you are a non cutaway man!!

Happy guitar playing

Best,

Keyshore
Thanks Keyshore!

I'm indeed a non cutaway man. That being said, I wouldn't mind a cutaway SJ with a spruce top for next year...
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Here's another shot:

I nominate this for guitar picture of the year! Isn't it amazing how lighting makes such a big difference? Doesn't even look like the same guitar as in Jim's studio shots (though both look nice...it's just this closeup really highlights the fine detail and quality).
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Playability and setup are top notch on both guitars. When I played the Kraut for the first time, it was exactly what I was used to playing -- it came with mediums and felt like a "real" acoustic to me. Despite a medium action (Ray offered to lower it and I declined), intonation remained spot on all the way up. Impressive. Most people who would pick up my Kraut now would think I'm a bit of a masochist -- but I really love the way it sounds with the heavies, and above it all I really love how it feels.

On the other hand, the Olson feels nimble and plays like total butter. I have never had a guitar that was setup like that and it will take a bit of time getting used to. I just played a few barre chords way up the neck with the kind of speed I haven't been able to achieve since my Ibanez days. The setup is as close to perfection as I have seen on any guitar. I hope it stays that way!

My Olson SJ is also very lightweight -- but that is mostly because of the mahogany as Jim's rosewood guitars felt noticeably heavier.

So that's it for now. I will post some audio/video as soon as I can capture something decent.
I was also amazed with how mine was set up. At first, it almost seemed TOO low, and your attack could make the difference between a fret buzzing mess and clean playing. Of course, adjusting to the environment affects that as well.

Wow, if yours feels lighter than the RW ones, it must be like a feather. As you know, mine is cedar/EIR and it feels remarkably lighter than my Charis GC cedar/EIR which is a smaller guitar. Of course, the rosewood neck on the Charis explains some of the extra weight vs the mahogany neck on the Olson.

The only thing I will likely do on mine is remove the LB6 pickup and install a plain bone saddle. I sort of regret not going that route in the first place, but then again the wider (front to back) saddle slot that was cut to accomodate the LB6 may actually enhance the tone when fitted with a bone saddle. I know Larry Jacobson (ljguitar) went through the same process on his Olson dreadnaught and liked the difference. We'll see.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

What a treat the photos have been, Mau. And what a gorgeous guitar! And what an experience you have just been through... You are going to need a little time to catch your breath.

- Glenn
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM

What a beauty! I bet it was worth the wait!
You are blessed! Merry Christmas !
Enjoy!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Thanks so much for the supportive words, guys.

It will take me some time and practice to adapt my playing to the guitar as it is very sensitive. A slight variation in the attack changes the tone dramatically so it requires quite a bit of control to deliver a consistent performance.

I had sworn to myself that this guitar would remain in standard tuning -- but after a day I gave in and tuned it in DADGAD.

Here's my arrangement of Si Bheag Si Mhor played with the SJ, capo 2:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...-mhor-turlough

As always, your comments are welcome.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Beautiful guitar and playing, Mau. Wonderful sounding instrument....thanks for sharing. Did you by chance ask Jim how many guitars he has built?

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Beautiful guitar and playing, Mau. Wonderful sounding instrument....thanks for sharing. Did you by chance ask Jim how many guitars he has built?

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Thanks for your feedback on my sound clip.

I believe Jim built 39 guitars this year. He has built more guitars in the past but the 2012 batch was overall his most "upscale" edition so far.

Some of the guitars he delivered would make my own SJ look very plain...
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Excellent playing and the guitar sounds fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to upload a clip once again. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Here's my arrangement of Si Bheag Si Mhor played with the SJ, capo 2:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...-mhor-turlough

As always, your comments are welcome.
Mau,

Well, I realize I am prejudiced because I really like the Olson SJ sound, but I think that recording of your new Olson is just gorgeous. I listened to your other versions of the same song in comparison and I like the Olson best. All versions are really beautifully done, all sound wonderful, but my preference is the sound of your new Olson.

WOW!!!

- Glenn
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop