The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-15-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
He uses the "roadie wrap," over and under. It holds better immediately and holds better through bends but is more of a pain to take off. The "Taylor wrap" is easier to take off but doesn't keep tune as well when you bend.

It is amazing to me to see all the disdain between those who use one or the other.

Bob
Roadie wrap: I like it! It's often called a luthier's knot, but that sounds a little snooty.

I do it because it's easy and grips so well. Haven't noticed any disdain one way or another, though. Whatever works, right?
Old 04-15-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
It's the same. . . .
Not on my electrics. See post 14.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Use the same method shown on the Taylor website for stringing an acoustic guitar. There's no need to do any special wrapping or locking of the strings at the tuner string post. All that stuff is just extra work that isn't necessary.
It's not necessary — few things are — but it helps me a lot.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:06 AM

As stated, strings do not "stretch". The process that the strings must undergo to settle into stability is sometimes called "seating" or "bedding", and it can be hastened by adding a bit more tension to assist the process.

I simply use the thumb and index finger of my right hand, giving each string a twisting motion to seat them. Tune to pitch, twist, re-tune to pitch, repeat the process until the string no longer drops in pitch when the twist is applied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars