The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Maton guitars bridge screws

So, I bought my Maton EBW70C online and it arrived yesterday.
I'm a professional musician and play live gigs every day, so while I have plenty of experience with another guitars, with Maton my experience is close to none.
So, this guitar is really stunning, and the guitar case is also amazing!
But, there are problems.
So far my main guitar was Martin DC16GT with Fishman Prefix premium blend onboard preamp and that's hands down the best sounding guitar plugged in that I ever played. However, lately it would stop working on it's own and start working the next day, so since I have live gigs every day, I needed a reliable guitar and opted for this Maton. So, as I said, just by opening the guitar case, I could almost hear that heavenly "Aaaaaaaaaaaa" sound in my ears. It looks and feels amazing. Unplugged it's pretty good, a little bit on the brighter side than Martin, but maybe with another set of strings that could be dealt with. It has a few "dead spots", meaning that there are a couple frets that project lower volume tones (1,2 string 8'th fret), fourth string is a little flat on 12'th fret and that's irritating to my ear. But the main problem for me is that plugged in three lower strings are coming out great, but these other three strings are just so thin and get lost in the mix when playing a solo. I'm playing in acoustic duo, so there's only one other rhythm guitar in the band.
So, I know that these screws on the bridge should not be touched, there's even a sticker on every Maton guitar that says that, but as I can see, the screw on the bass side of the bridge is a little bit more inside, so I guess that somebody tightened it? Maybe if I tighten the treble side, I could fix this problem? Or ruin the guitar? What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, it's a great looking guitar and I went through a lot of problems to get it, but it's not cheap and for that kind of money, I'd expect the guitar to be flawless. I'd hate to return it back, but maybe I'll have to...

Old 06-22-2019, 09:49 PM

As a luthier I would never let a guitar leave my shop without checking the balance between the strings. It is very common for undersaddle transducers to not be even. Even if the bottom of the saddle and the bridge slot are perfectly flat sometimes the transducers are not even. I do not see how the screws could fix the problem.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brziri View Post
So, I know that these screws on the bridge should not be touched, there's even a sticker on every Maton guitar that says that, but as I can see, the screw on the bass side of the bridge is a little bit more inside, so I guess that somebody tightened it? Maybe if I tighten the treble side, I could fix this problem? Or ruin the guitar? What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, it's a great looking guitar and I went through a lot of problems to get it, but it's not cheap and for that kind of money, I'd expect the guitar to be flawless. I'd hate to return it back, but maybe I'll have to...

If there's a sticker that says the screws should not be touched, then clearly they get adjust at some point in the process and are not simply tightened down equally. You're going to need to get the guitar into the hands of someone familiar with that system.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brziri View Post
So, I bought my Maton EBW70C online and it arrived yesterday.
I'm a professional musician and play live gigs every day, so while I have plenty of experience with another guitars, with Maton my experience is close to none.
So, this guitar is really stunning, and the guitar case is also amazing!
But, there are problems.
So far my main guitar was Martin DC16GT with Fishman Prefix premium blend onboard preamp and that's hands down the best sounding guitar plugged in that I ever played. However, lately it would stop working on it's own and start working the next day, so since I have live gigs every day, I needed a reliable guitar and opted for this Maton. So, as I said, just by opening the guitar case, I could almost hear that heavenly "Aaaaaaaaaaaa" sound in my ears. It looks and feels amazing. Unplugged it's pretty good, a little bit on the brighter side than Martin, but maybe with another set of strings that could be dealt with. It has a few "dead spots", meaning that there are a couple frets that project lower volume tones (1,2 string 8'th fret), fourth string is a little flat on 12'th fret and that's irritating to my ear. But the main problem for me is that plugged in three lower strings are coming out great, but these other three strings are just so thin and get lost in the mix when playing a solo. I'm playing in acoustic duo, so there's only one other rhythm guitar in the band.

Are you in the US? Or Australia?

Either way, send it back - flat spots and pickup not working properly, get another in working order sent as a replacement. They are great live work guitars, just plug straight to a PA. The guitar is a newer model all Australian Blackwood and the Maton AP5-Pro installed pickup system is the best around. See Tommy Emmanuel live, same pickup. Hope you sort it out but the pickup system comes in one ‘ready to install system’ with all the needed parts wired together and to be placed in the correct area. If you Google “Maton AP5-Pro pickup system PICS” you can see a photo of the whole shebang.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 AM

Thanks!
I'm in Europe (Croatia), so it's kind of tricky to get them here, and there are no shops that are selling them here, so I had to get one from Thomann (Germany).
Actually, I had bought one (SRS70C) a couple of years ago from Italy and they did a "setup" for me. They totally ruined the piezo, so unplugged it was great, but plugged in a couple of strings didn't come out at all, so I had to return it. This is my second not working brand new Maton, so I'm starting to wonder if they are actually good guitars. Maybe I should go for Cole Clark Fat Lady 2?
I think that there are just too many problems for a new guitar at this price point here, so I guess I'm not going to try and fix it, I'll just return it and decide what my next guitar is going to be...
Old 06-23-2019, 07:29 AM

The screws on the bridge hold the pickup on the inside of the guitar. You could damage the guitar if you overtighten them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion